Purple Brain (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

150 is child's play haha
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am How in God's name do you create 150 tracks without frying your CPU? Sometimes I hit 30 before I have to start freezing things.

Anyway, sounds great.
Thanks Wags.

Ready to be blown away? This is on a Surface Pro 4. The thing is an absolute marvel. I do need to keep a little fan on it to ensure it doesn't overheat though. Oh, and there's lots of track freezing so yeah only 20 or so tracks are unfrozen at any one point. The other trick I've learned is to automate the on/off for the plugins.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am Thanks. The chopped vocal reminds me of infected mushroom blues brothers a bit, but done better.

Cheers
Better than infected? I've just fainted. Time to retire I think :D

Just the vocal chop, lol
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 am Just the vocal chop, lol
:hihi:

Fair.

Lots of variation and cool sounds. Great job! :tu:

You could follow this up with "When CPUs Cry."

"Touch if you will my motherboard
Feel how it's burning inside
You've got the Quad Core all tied up
Even the GPUs fried."

:ud:

Frantz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:39 am Lots of variation and cool sounds. Great job! :tu:

You could follow this up with "When CPUs Cry."

"Touch if you will my motherboard
Feel how it's burning inside
You've got the Quad Core all tied up
Even the GPUs fried."

:ud:
:clap:

I often get 150 plus, but nearly all are frozen, lol. 150 live tracks seems a bit pointless and a waste of electricity haha, and possibly fry your balls with EM waves, not good.

TTU Youtube

I thought it sounded pretty electronic. :D

:tu:

Pretty much what I expected from Mushy, groovy, trippy af, great production and lots of crazy sounds. Ticks all the genre boxes :tu:

Not sure about these chopped voice samples, they sound distracting in places. Also I'm listening at work in earbuds so I can't really comment on mixing but I think the kick could cut though a bit better.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fastlanephil wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:19 am I thought it sounded pretty electronic. :D

:tu:
That’s a positive given it was the sound I was going for. I’m happy I succeeded in making my electronic electronics sound electronic :D

recursive one wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am Pretty much what I expected from Mushy, groovy, trippy af, great production and lots of crazy sounds. Ticks all the genre boxes :tu:

Not sure about these chopped voice samples, they sound distracting in places. Also I'm listening at work in earbuds so I can't really comment on mixing but I think the kick could cut though a bit better.
Thanks dude. I started reworking it last night to clear up the mix a bit. I have a new strategy/theory re kick & bass so check back in a couple weeks to see if it was successful.

Essentially I’ve put each bass note and velocity on a separate track so that I can EQ them individually and avoid sidechain. For example the first 16th note is now highpassed just above the body of the kick.

Sounds good so far but it was late so couldn’t crank it yet.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm Essentially I’ve put each bass note and velocity on a separate track so that I can EQ them individually and avoid sidechain.
Yeah, i think that's what all these big guys are doing
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm For example the first 16th note is now highpassed just above the body of the kick.
I tried that myself few times but I was never convinced it sounded any better. Sorting the phase relations and relative levels between the kick and the first bass note typically works better in my case (I'm sure you know that Sonic Elysium tut)

Each track is different tho.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm Essentially I’ve put each bass note and velocity on a separate track so that I can EQ them individually and avoid sidechain.
Yeah, i think that's what all these big guys are doing
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm For example the first 16th note is now highpassed just above the body of the kick.
I tried that myself few times but I was never conivinced it sounded any better. Sorting the phase relations and relative levels between the kick and the first bass note typically works better in my case (I'm sure you know that Sonic Elysium tut)

Each track is different tho.
The biggest benefit is the complete flexibility I have now. I’m still yet to determine if there are phase issues but the plan of attack is as follows:
- high pass the first note
- adjust the velocity (which now is as easy as turning the entire channel volume down)
- adding something such as LFO tool on just that single track.
(hopefully only 1 and 2 are needed)

The benefit of all of the above is no matter what I do I know the 2nd and 3rd notes will be untouched and retain their full power.

Yeah the Sonic Elysium tut is great. Lots of tips and tricks there.

I didn't get the Prince reference initially.

I was thinking more along the lines of "....haze, all in my...."

Return to “Music Cafe”