Signal Noise - the 2020 version of Dead Duck?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

News to me, but it seems we have a new player for making stock effects plugins. I'm thinking of Dead Duck software (because of the fast releases and updates), but with more elaborate and beautiful UIs.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/sender-sp ... 2-10-47403

and the actual web site at

https://senderspike.wordpress.com/category/vst/

:phones:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Nah man, Signal Noise is more focused on bringing just a few plugins with "analog" color, while Dead Duck has a ton of plugins with a more unique color.
Signal Noise is becoming really good.

Dead Duck's set of plugins is more polished and extensive, and has better GUIs. I find the Signal Noise plugins too small. I tried his new limiter but as a "full-fledged mastering solution" as he describes it I found it compared poorly to other mastering limiters I already own, although it's a fun track limiter.

Im replacing my dead duck software plugins with these. love this dev :) also he seems to be gone anyway!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 am Im replacing my dead duck software plugins with these. love this dev :) also he seems to be gone anyway!
Yes, Deadduck's stuff was impressive, but the dev made it clear that they wouldn't be updated.
I agree I was wrong in comparing the two, but I have a feeling Signal Noise is going to add more effects quite rapidly, which I find very cool. It surprised me I hadn't heard of the product line before.

Still, I must admit that for me, I would like a better visualisation approach of dB's or whatever than just a phono volume display. So, for my personal EQ needs (for example) I would go with TDR Nova or Melda's MEqualiser any day. Then again, I know a lot of people don't rely on visualisation, and for them the Signal Noise stuff could, as you say, replace older product lines (such as Dead Duck).
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 am Im replacing my dead duck software plugins with these. love this dev :) also he seems to be gone anyway!
Yes, Deadduck's stuff was impressive, but the dev made it clear that they wouldn't be updated.
I agree I was wrong in comparing the two, but I have a feeling Signal Noise is going to add more effects quite rapidly, which I find very cool. It surprised me I hadn't heard of the product line before.

Still, I must admit that for me, I would like a better visualisation approach of dB's or whatever than just a phono volume display. So, for my personal EQ needs (for example) I would go with TDR Nova or Melda's MEqualiser any day. Then again, I know a lot of people don't rely on visualisation, and for them the Signal Noise stuff could, as you say, replace older product lines (such as Dead Duck).
Yes dead duck collection was great but i found myself using them less and less. Now they are deleted from my plugin folder and replaced them with signal noise's plugins instead :) i hope he makes a saturation plugin in the future :tu:

EDIT: Yes there could be better visualisation but i do like VU meters though
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Hi, Sender Spike here. By sheer coincidence I spotted this thread (in that panel thingy on the right), so, let me chime in ;)
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm I have a feeling Signal Noise is going to add more effects quite rapidly, which I find very cool. It surprised me I hadn't heard of the product line before.
Well, I've got into DSP exactly on 1-st November last year, so that may explain it. As for speed and number of upcoming releases -- what you witnessed during last two months was sort of a sprint. One thing quickly led to another and suddenly I had five plugs at my hands. I also had the luxury of dedicating myself full-time to this. However, my "grant" is slowly running out, new "investor" is nowhere in sight, hence I'm not sure about the exact shape of the future (though I still have a few plug-in ideas I would like to materialize).
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm Still, I must admit that for me, I would like a better visualisation approach of dB's or whatever than just a phono volume display.
EDIT: Yes there could be better visualisation
I guess, I don't fully get what you mean. Could you pls. elaborate more on this?
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm Yes dead duck collection was great
It reminds me very much of Kjearhus' classic collection. Fantastic for 75% of all mixing duties, but cannot be pushed very hard IMO.
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm i hope he makes a saturation plugin in the future
What's your idea of saturation plug-in? I still have Krush, E-Phonic's LO-FI, and FuzzPlus 3 on my hard drive, but ever since I've made SN03, I use it almost exclusively (btw. SN05 can crush things too). Still, I'm all ears and open to suggestions :)

Anyway, I'm really delighted these babies of mine get some love from the community :tu:

A Crosstalk plugin could be handy from time to time. Like from a Multitrack Tape Recorder, there was always (depending on the Machine's Quality) tiny little bleed into the next Track. While I agree that this is not really optimal on an analog Desk (High Q Desks actually didnt really have much crosstalk) it does some good Mojo on the Multitrack, like glues Things together... maybe even other things, I am not thinking of right now. Well, I believe it would be helpful in some cases & maybe for others, too.

Anyway, keep up the excellent work & Much success to your Vision!
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm A Crosstalk plugin could be handy from time to time.
This one is in TODO list a few weeks already. I just still didn't dedicate my attention to it :oops:
El°HYM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm Anyway, keep up the excellent work & Much success to your Vision!

O7O wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm Hi, Sender Spike here. By sheer coincidence I spotted this thread (in that panel thingy on the right), so, let me chime in ;)
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm I have a feeling Signal Noise is going to add more effects quite rapidly, which I find very cool. It surprised me I hadn't heard of the product line before.
Well, I've got into DSP exactly on 1-st November last year, so that may explain it. As for speed and number of upcoming releases -- what you witnessed during last two months was sort of a sprint. One thing quickly led to another and suddenly I had five plugs at my hands. I also had the luxury of dedicating myself full-time to this. However, my "grant" is slowly running out, new "investor" is nowhere in sight, hence I'm not sure about the exact shape of the future (though I still have a few plug-in ideas I would like to materialize).
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm Still, I must admit that for me, I would like a better visualisation approach of dB's or whatever than just a phono volume display.
EDIT: Yes there could be better visualisation
I guess, I don't fully get what you mean. Could you pls. elaborate more on this?

Actually tbh i mostly just use VU meters myself but i meant for other users who want to use other metering standards i guess. But for me its perfect. :)
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm Yes dead duck collection was great
It reminds me very much of Kjearhus' classic collection. Fantastic for 75% of all mixing duties, but cannot be pushed very hard IMO.

Yes i still use Kjearhus' classic collection too :)
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm i hope he makes a saturation plugin in the future
What's your idea of saturation plug-in? I still have Krush, E-Phonic's LO-FI, and FuzzPlus 3 on my hard drive, but ever since I've made SN03, I use it almost exclusively (btw. SN05 can crush things too). Still, I'm all ears and open to suggestions :)

Good question. I do have a lot of different saturation plugins, Krush and FuzzPlus 3 being some of them. But just though it would be great to have another one :D But my idea of a saturation plugin is Something that adds glue and a nice low/high end

Anyway, I'm really delighted these babies of mine get some love from the community :tu:
No problem :tu:

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pmYes, Deadduck's stuff was impressive, but the dev made it clear that they wouldn't be updated.
I never said they wouldn't be updated, just that there would be no new features. The Dead Duck plugins are not 'abandonware', they've just reached the natural end of their development cycle and any future updates will be limited to bugfixes or simple usability enhancements as and when necessary.

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am Actually tbh i mostly just use VU meters myself but i meant for other users who want to use other metering standards i guess. But for me its perfect. :)
Ah, now I get it! Yeah, VUs are certainly not for everyone especially since bar-graphs and numeric readouts with gazillion different standards became de facto norm (I see this trend even OTB). Well, I contemplate some kind of resizable UI, so it may find its way there. I'm totally impressed by SKnote's new vectorial UIs, but I guess I would not bother with resizable VUs myself, so simple bars would be a viable way to go. It would be also easier to hook different standards to them. Still, personally, I'm in the VU camp. Combined with DAW's peak meters they give me all visual feedback I need. But TBH I also use pitonelab's free Dorrough clone VST and Voxengo's SPAN extensively. Anyway, thanks for clarification.
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am my idea of a saturation plugin is Something that adds glue and a nice low/high end
Well, that would be SN03 :hihi: But (half-)jokes aside, I'll mull over it and if I come up with something that sounds at least as good as SN03 (and is different enough) I'll definitely make it a reality ;)
Last edited by O7O on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:32 pm Signal Noise is more focused on bringing just a few plugins with "analog" color
This. (Sorry, I missed your post and I'm not even stoned already ... or maybe that's why :hihi: - anyway, you're spot on :tu: )

O7O wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am Actually tbh i mostly just use VU meters myself but i meant for other users who want to use other metering standards i guess. But for me its perfect. :)
Ah, now I get it! Yeah, VUs are certainly not for everyone especially since bar-graphs and numeric readouts with gazillion different standards became de facto norm (I see this trend even OTB). Well, I contemplate some kind of resizable UI, so it may find its way there. I'm totally impressed by SKnote's new vectorial UIs, but I guess I would not bother with resizable VUs myself, so simple bars would be a viable way to go. It would be also easier to hook different standards to them. Still, personally, I'm in the VU camp. Combined with DAW's peak meters they give me all visual feedback I need. But TBH I also use pitonelab's free Dorrough clone VST and Voxengo's SPAN extensively. Anyway, thanks for clarification.
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am my idea of a saturation plugin is Something that adds glue and a nice low/high end
Well, that would be SN03 :hihi: But (half-)jokes aside, I'll mule over it and if I come up with something that sounds at least as good as SN03 (and is different enough) I'll definitely make it a reality ;)
:tu:

O7O wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11 pm
El°HYM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm A Crosstalk plugin could be handy from time to time.
This one is in TODO list a few weeks already. I just still didn't dedicate my attention to it :oops:
El°HYM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm Anyway, keep up the excellent work & Much success to your Vision!
Looking forward to this! :tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”