A TV as display?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, a friend of mine want to give away his 40'' Samsung TV for free. I think about getting it but not sure if I can really use it in a good way for my music production stuff. I do not watch TV. I would use the screen with my laptop as a second screen. Can someone tell me her/his experiences?
Thanks
rabbit in a hole

It really depends on the model, if it has the right connections for your laptop, and if it's good enough for your taste's, then go for it. I've used flat screen TV's for my computer monitor and they've been quite good. But I come from the era of small and bulky displays so I'm not hard to please.

toine6 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm It really depends on the model, if it has the right connections for your laptop, and if it's good enough for your taste's, then go for it. I've used flat screen TV's for my computer monitor and they've been quite good. But I come from the era of small and bulky displays so I'm not hard to please.
Haha. I'm born in the 80s so I encountered a lot of obscure screens :hihi: I would connect it with HDMI. I was more afraid about resolution. But I think I take the TV anyway. If I dont like it I can sell it :evil:
rabbit in a hole

I mean, I actually even purchased a Commodore 64 with old skool monitor, because I had one as a kid. Screen weighs a million pounds, and my laptop monitor puts it to shame. :lol:

I moved to a new house a couple years ago and had to get rid of my TV monitors, and while they were not quite bottom of the line, they were not all that expensive, and they were so nice to have, quite large and had great resolution compared to what I was used to before. No idea what kind of quality you will be getting, but I think it's worth a shot. I've only been using my laptop monitor for a while now, and it sucks.

If it's full hd and has a dvi or hdmi connection it's fine. I have 40" LG that works as a second screen (if I want to).

The resolution is the important bit for sure. Most 27" monitors are at least full hd (1080) so if this TV is the same then you'll get the same picture but bigger pixels. Could look blocky if you're close which you generally are with a computer monitor.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”