What are some VSTs you hate any time you hear them in a song?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3665 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 am

No hate at all, but I once was baffled when hearing one of those factory presets of Metaphysical Function in a TV documentary unaltered. I love those sounds and I guess its covered, but the guy got royalties for just choosing a preset and not even bother to hit the random button. (I think it was Exx just running on itself)
That Reaktor ensemble and these patches are a piece of art in itself...

functionform
KVRist
456 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Re: What are some VSTs you hate any time you hear them in a song?

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Sometimes Serum drops are overly phasey and annoying as hell. About as creative as a Ratt distortion pedal from the 90s on a metal record.

Martin Simon
KVRist
70 posts since 19 Apr, 2010 from Amsterdam, Holland

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm

OTT. Someone even made a plugin based on this preset. For a lot of EDM producers this is a kind of drum correction tool. It sounds shite and its the worst thing after vocal pitch correction.

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
563 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 am

Martin Simon wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm
OTT. Someone even made a plugin based on this preset. For a lot of EDM producers this is a kind of drum correction tool. It sounds shite and its the worst thing after vocal pitch correction.
I use the Xfer OTT plugin occasionally. I think it's very useful for making drums sound crisper and stand out more in a busy mix, but just like compression in general and other effects such as autotune, it has to be used responsibly (unless you actually want the extreme effect). I think the key is to turn down the depth until you no longer actually hear it working, which usually means no more than 10-15% in my case.

Vortifex
KVRAF
1606 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 am

OTT is great for making snappy synthwave basses. Just don't overdo it.

Return to “Effects”