Why is Slate Digital hated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lajosuti wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 pm I only hate the necro bump thing.
You were saying?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

At my school some kids would get down on people with red hair or who were shy, too tall, too fat, too skinny, too loud, too clever, not clever enough, spotty, bow legged, skinny legged, pigeon toed, cross eyed, slightly darker, too dark, not dark enough in fact anyone who didn't conform to their world view.
Slate seems to rub those kind of people up the wrong way. Makes no sense... Never has done.
No point in discussing that kind of objection when people start talking negatively with regards to someones hair being too perfect or too Californian or too this or too that. Better to just let them stew in their own bile.
The product is what it is, one either likes the product and purchases it because of its intrinsic value or doesn't. And one also doesn't have to love something in order to see it's value. There are a lot of tools that we use that are invaluable that we don't necessarily love but still are a staple of our process.
Let just leave the Slate bashing out of the equation... its fine to criticize but the amount of disapprobation sometimes seems totally out of place.

I think people hate Steven Slate because he is rich, handsome and a great businessman. They are envious of him. I don't have any other explanation.

Ftr I dont' hate him. I have bought several of their products. I personally find them ok rather than great, and often updates are promised that take years to come (if ever).
But Steven is a salesman, he makes you want to own stuff with so much superlatives that it sounds almost 'delicious'. Whether they live up to that expectation is a matter of opinion.

I personally find him very entertaining.

Ironically this just came to my inbox.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... b6be6e818b
which led to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

His new Infinity EQ looks absolutely gorgeous. Like better then FF.

The guy comes off as total douche and the new EQ is clearly (another) Fabfilter ripoff.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm The guy comes off as total douche and the new EQ is clearly (another) Fabfilter ripoff.
I wouldn't be that hard on him but there's clearly nothing really new with this eq. Suddenly lot of his followers are acting like they never used or heard about Pro-Q 3. It's been a long time since Slate didn't release an original Slate product (lot of 3rd party plugins added to his subscription plan but no new/original plugins), I was expecting a new analog emulation from a very desirable piece of gear...

Chapelle wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 pm I think people hate Steven Slate because he is rich, handsome and a great businessman. They are envious of him. I don't have any other explanation.
Steven, is that you?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Simply because Seven Slate behaves like a total douchebag. Just showing off and only talking with superlatives. That annoys a lot of users ...

:wink:
Last edited by fedexnman on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:21 pm Simply because Seven Slate behaves like a total douchebag. Just showing off and only talking with superlatives. That annoys a lot of users ...
That and the rest! Basically a used car salesman who's often frugal with the facts.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Yes, this is my point: I own VTM, VCC, VBC, a bunch of singles for VMR I don't remember, and a VMS with the large mic and the preamp I don't need and could've spent half of what I did on for at least two Black Fridays in a row now, but whatever. It's pretty good stuff, honestly.

My point is I buy these plugs with long, careful consideration DESPITE Steven Slate being Steven Slate, not because of it. I don't hate the guy, I'm not envious (at all... been around many, many "successful" people and am myself, but that seems to create about as many problems as it solves, maybe more), but I just...

Steven, if you're listening, I just wish you'd take it down a notch. I'm not here to bash you, and I don't dislike you as a person (other than what I felt was a rather hasty, unwarranted, but ultimately forgivable attack on the SOS editors for their VMS review, which was, like, their opinion, man); I don't think Nickelback is secretly your favorite band; but it's the hard sell, the hype, the bordering on NXIVM-sounding presentation, like you've attended one too many Landmark Forums, and that absolutely ridiculous eye-roller of a video for the new EQ you guys just uploaded to YouTube.

Off-putting is an understatement. It's embarrassing. It makes me cringe, frankly.

Will you please just take it easy? Just take it down like one notch? I WANT to like this company and I've found value in your products, but it just gets too L.A.-kitsch sometimes where it starts to just get embarrassing, frankly. I don't want to feel embarrassed about owning your stuff, which is genuinely good, but you're making it hard. I want to show my music buds the VMS and how it works, because I think it's a great product on the whole. I really do.

Can you just take it down a notch? Please?

That is all.
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

If anything i find Slates personality refreshing for being positive and encouraging.

So this is essentially AirEQ with a Pro-Q 3 interface (pimped even further, I would have never supposed that this is even possible). Back then, in the AirEQ threads Slate and Fabrice were telling us how the graph can be misleading, better to just shut it off and mix with your ears, bla bla. And now this. And AirEQ's graph is still way off the actual settings dialled in, I suppose - just as it was then, and they were falling over themselves to explain how this is not a problem, no sir, only you think so because you're a noob.

The better question is who is hated here on KVR? I mean I know U-he is loved but seems any company that is not a one man show besides U-he is hated. I guess it's anyone who is trying to actually make money is bad somehow.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Effects”