Should I develop an Arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been making music for several years now, but I'm always frustrated when it comes to arpeggiators.

Most soft synths have their own arp, but some are better than others, and some don't have one at all. Serum ironically, has not got an arp as such.

The best one I have found is on Omnisphere 2.6, which really does shine compared to anything else.

There is Cthulu, Nora, but they're all very primitive.

So as I'm a developer by trade, I have decided to design an arp/seq that ticks all the boxes and provides all the flexibility any of the other in-synth arps provide.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated ... so before I start, I'd like to know what you think?
Last edited by Melodology on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes please. Omnispheres arp would be perfect if it had randomization implemented. So if you can develop Omni's arp with the ability to randomize everything, I will be glad to support you

I dont know wha-da-ell ya on about. All dis ravin' and rantin' bout how arps are'nt good enough. Well I say, shit, if you dont think Omnisphere has enough features den mwaybee you bes finda notha way of makin' sound and experimentin' like in ya daw.

Think -whole song = 120 bars/measures = 4 min. Fill it up with arpeggiated pattern.
It have 6 sections of 20 bars each.
Each section can be re-arpeggiated with a new pattern and have different fx and scale for it.
It would take into account the last note from the section before and first note from the section after.

Addition Each section could be redirected to optional VSTi.
Added 20jan-20. Decide one or do two different versions for live and composing. Something that shall accomodate both live and composition surely will be a mess.
Last edited by Saffran on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's always room for a good arp.

I’d LOVE to have all the features of the Omnisphere arp in a vst with MIDI OUT, multi-tracks or layers, and a chaining feature for arranging presets into “songs”. Plus all the best features of other current arps, like import of MIDI files, all parameters modulateable, MIDI CC modulation, etc. Be sure to check out HY’s sequencer collection, K-Tech Hexo, and threads like this one (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&start=330) for more ideas. Very best wishes!

If you could have a user defined key range like C-1 to C0 be set to control preset switching that would be cool.

google the Kore 2 manual, the arp section is page 190
if your vst has all this stuff, on top of what you have in mind already, I'll give it a shot.

Please, a good user-friendly arp and step sequencer, just like Omnisphere and with randomization.

And don´t forget to make a couple of hours of tutorials available on YouTube, etc, on how to really best take advantage of it. A couple of hours for this compared to the developing time for the product should be pretty much nothing, but be gold for the beginner user. And have other people than yourself to do these tutorials -- people with fresh eyes who knows nothing about programming etc, but are good musicians.

So much time is spent on VST-products that people rarely make use of in a creative way, because the products are non-intuitive and require too much knowledge already, and/or nobody shows the consumers how to really make use of it in a production.

It´s one thing to know what a synth knob does, but how you use it together with all the other things on the synthesizer to make real MUSIC in a production -- and not just weird sounds that noone but synth nerds listens to -- is something else.

Those who do this with their VST-products -- ie gear for MUSICIANS -- usually make a lot of money, pretty much like Spectrasonics and Toontrack and such companies.

So much people want to make music, but the technology is still pretty much in their way, because it´s still very badly explained how it all works together for your creativity when you are a musician and want to make real music-- and not just a synth/tech nerd spending endless time just masturb*ting the knobs.

Sincerely, good luck! :)

i tbink there is more need for a kinh translator tbh.

dunno... there are good free arps, for example bluearp. bluearp is just built into pluginguru's unity ( he got permission to use with his unity).
but if it's your dream to make an arp, don't let anything stop you :)

Sure. The ultimate arp doesn't exist yet.

I really like the chord memory + arp feature in Ana2 so an Arp/seq that could do that would interest me.
Another seq I really like is the graphical seq from the Pure Acid app for 303 acid sequences, giving a clear view of the slides and accents which are essential for 303 sequences.

Ana2 chord + arp tutorial video:

https://youtu.be/gjGE-uMxf3U

It's really good if somebody can combine BlueARP + Nora.
For BlueARP works perfectly well in analyzing incoming notes and organizes them into chords.

And Nora relies on piano roll.

Melodology wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm There is Cthulu, Nora, but they're all very primitive.
Cthulhu is primitive?? :o

I have Karma 2 in my Korg M3 , something like this in software it will be gold .

Return to “Instruments”