Slick 9k compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thermal wrote:
http://rupertneve.com/products/portico- ... r-limiter/
The two compression characteristics are quite different; there is more "Overshoot" and both the attack and recovery ramps are changed
I know Nebula is limited in what it does with compression in some areas, what i am really interested in is your subjective opinion on how it changes the sound in just Slick9k. I think you are at the cutting edge of Nebula compressor sampling and are the best person to listen to on this subject. :)
hah, uh-oh, well, i guess i have to be honest and say that i can't really say TOO much about how it think it changes the sound, because i haven't compared it much. i did this type of update with rayphlex, and so it was something i always intended to do with slick9k, and i only just got around to doing it. i literally released that update right after it was done!

sometimes i wish i had more time to actually use some of these things i make but since i started doing this stuff i've worked on my own music stuff less and less. i always mess around with something a while before a main release, but with updates i usually just shoot them out there after i finish them and see that they are working properly (this depends on the update though).

it'd be interesting to see what some of the users out there had to say about the matter though...

Cupwise wrote:[it'd be interesting to see what some of the users out there had to say about the matter though...
Hi Cupwise, I bought your libraries on impulse without even testing them lol. The demos and price were a no-brainer.

I am still on Nebula2. Are you sure they won't play on Nebula2 or are they missing some kind of functionality or different parameters. If I absolutely have to, I'll go to Pro3 but I'd rather not atm. Thanks in advance. The demos sound unreal.

i've just released the same update for part B as i did with part A. i've already sent the emails to everyone who bought part B, so if you didn't get the email, check your junk folder and if it's not there email me to get the update.

AC222 wrote:
Cupwise wrote:[it'd be interesting to see what some of the users out there had to say about the matter though...
Hi Cupwise, I bought your libraries on impulse without even testing them lol. The demos and price were a no-brainer.

I am still on Nebula2. Are you sure they won't play on Nebula2 or are they missing some kind of functionality or different parameters. If I absolutely have to, I'll go to Pro3 but I'd rather not atm. Thanks in advance. The demos sound unreal.
i definitely can't recommend nebula 2 with these compressors. the minimum level nebula you should have according to acustica is nebula 3 pro. i know that there are some improvements that it adds to the attack/release section at least, but i don't know how deep those improvements are. i don't have nebula 2 to compare. a guy over at gearslutz said that the rayphlex comps worked well with neb 2, and i was surprised at that, but i can't recommend it because it goes against what acustica say, and because i don't have personal experience trying the progs with neb2 or anything less than neb 3 pro.

Hi Cupwise, thanks for the continued updates for Slick9. Think I maybe tempted to try some others after reading some GS comments.

Not sure if you can answer this. I've just purchased a new GFX card nvidia (EVGA GT660) which uses CUDA and I now nebula makes use of this to relieve the CPU usage by using the GPU. Is there a particular setting in Nebula to ensure this is happening or is it automatic? (I'm Nebula Server Pro)

If not no worries, I find the acustica forums a little too techy and over my head for my needs :)

Peace

MFXxx wrote: I've just purchased a new GFX card nvidia (EVGA GT660) which uses CUDA and I now nebula makes use of this to relieve the CPU usage by using the GPU. Is there a particular setting in Nebula to ensure this is happening or is it automatic? (I'm Nebula Server Pro)
sorry, i know next to nothing about Nebula being used with CUDA. i would imagine that there is some kind of setting, or something you would have to do. i can only suggest to start a new thread in the 'working with nebula' sub-forum at acustica, and asking how to set it up. hopefully someone would reply with the info you need...
-tim

Cupwise wrote:
AC222 wrote:

i definitely can't recommend nebula 2 with these compressors. the minimum level nebula you should have according to acustica is nebula 3 pro. i know that there are some improvements that it adds to the attack/release section at least, but i don't know how deep those improvements are. i don't have nebula 2 to compare. a guy over at gearslutz said that the rayphlex comps worked well with neb 2, and i was surprised at that, but i can't recommend it because it goes against what acustica say, and because i don't have personal experience trying the progs with neb2 or anything less than neb 3 pro.
Thanks for the response, Cupwise. I'm glad to finally know what is missing from that. Your libraries are amazing! People if you are on the fence go out and buy these. That Slick9k is the most real analog sounding compressor itb ever! It is transparent for the most part as it says but it does have a touch of character and way more mojo than most algorithmic stuff. One of the best digital compressors ever! Thank you Cupwise!

In a sense this is an updated version of my 7yr old Slick 9k compressor, but it's actually a new product and was rebuilt from the ground up. The programming side of it is all new, and the impulses were rebuilt from the original tone sweeps, and re-edited (so the vectors are new too).

Max has made some really nice skins for both N3 and N4. Thanks max!!

Here's a link to the page (where you can glimpse the new skin, as well as see info about the compressor).

If you bought part A or B, or both, of the old library, you should be getting an email with an offer for an upgrade path. If you didn't get it, contact me through my contact form or directly by email.
Here are all of the major improvements in this product, over the old one:

*skins were graciously provided by Max, for both N3 and N4!!!

*everything (programs AND vectors) was re-built from the ground up. i went back to the original recorded tone sweeps (to re-render the impulses), and attack/release samples, and started over from there.

*this allowed me to hand edit every impulse, for maximum quality control, including throwing out impulses that were ‘below the noise floor’ (such as low input drive impulses for the upper harmonic orders). this brings down the total sample count without sacrificing anything. editing the impulses prevents lots of glitchy behavior.

*programs use the same basic setup as my other more recent compressors, which provides a more accurate attack (with fast settings), and removes the artifacts you could get with bassy inputs in the old programs.

*combined hard and soft knee into one release. originally they were split and sold separately. now it’s all one compressor release.

*hard knee uses peak mode while soft knee uses RMS. in the old versions, both used peak.

*added a ‘knee select’ program that allows you to transition between hard and soft knees and get settings in between. this also transitions between the peak and RMS modes, not just hard and soft knee, so it can be pretty interesting to blend between the two extremes.

*harmonics have been hugely improved, with their levels being much more accurate to the hardware (this took a lot of work).

*attack and release have been completely redone. both are far more accurate. the improved attack is probably most instantly noticeable, but the release now has some program dependence. the release timing actually adjusts depending on how much compression you’re getting. the old versions were made before i had figured out how to do this and did not have that behavior programmed in.

*got rid of all the extra versions of the programs that were in the old version. i’m talking about the ones that used various combinations of detector types and feedback amounts. those probably really just added clutter and weren’t used by most people very often. also i couldn’t test each of those programs and some of them probably behaved in strange ways. also got rid of the external sidechain programs since nebula quit allowing that at some point.

*replaced 1k, 5k, and 10k options with my lite, standard, full harmonic, and SHQ options. check out the manual to see what the differences are.

*the crappy ‘dry’ control was replaced with a ‘wet’ control. the dry control just added some dry signal in, which wasn’t very good because it would also increase the output level. the wet control actually transitions between fully dry and fully wet.

*look-ahead max setting lowered to 1.5 ms which is more than enough for instant peak limiting now that the programs are using the updated setups.

*these compressors are just so much better now, in probably every possible way. there may be other smaller changes that i’ve just forgotten to mention. everything is completely new .

Wow, really excited about this release. Slick9k is my favorite bus comp of all time in the digital world. I don't see a mockup of the nre skin posted but look forward to checking it out, especially if it gives me a taste of the real hardware.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 11.43.49 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plexuss for President/Prime Minister!

Thanks for sharing. That GUI is gorgeous

just sent out emails for a free update that adds 48 and 88.2khz, but also updates the programs/vectors with several improvements. so if you own the library you should have got the email.

here's what's been updated:

*added 48 and 88.2khz sample rates.

*impulses cleaned up to remove the subtle 'noise' that appears above 20khz in most sampled nebula programs (it's inaudible and only affects 88.2 and 96khz versions, but i removed it anyway), as well as to remove the ripple that happens in the low bass frequencies, from the SHQ versions of the compressors and the pass-through program. the other compressor programs don't have the ripple anyway.

*threshold control has been adjusted to be more accurate.

*updated manuals to reflect the changes, where needed.

Thanks for the update

Return to “Effects”