In a sense this is an updated version of my 7yr old Slick 9k compressor, but it's actually a new product and was rebuilt from the ground up. The programming side of it is all new, and the impulses were rebuilt from the original tone sweeps, and re-edited (so the vectors are new too).
Max has made some really nice skins for both N3 and N4. Thanks max!!
Here's a link to the page (where you can glimpse the new skin, as well as see info about the compressor).
If you bought part A or B, or both, of the old library, you should be getting an email with an offer for an upgrade path. If you didn't get it, contact me through my contact form or directly by email.
Here are all of the major improvements in this product, over the old one:
*skins were graciously provided by Max, for both N3 and N4!!!
*everything (programs AND vectors) was re-built from the ground up. i went back to the original recorded tone sweeps (to re-render the impulses), and attack/release samples, and started over from there.
*this allowed me to hand edit every impulse, for maximum quality control, including throwing out impulses that were ‘below the noise floor’ (such as low input drive impulses for the upper harmonic orders). this brings down the total sample count without sacrificing anything. editing the impulses prevents lots of glitchy behavior.
*programs use the same basic setup as my other more recent compressors, which provides a more accurate attack (with fast settings), and removes the artifacts you could get with bassy inputs in the old programs.
*combined hard and soft knee into one release. originally they were split and sold separately. now it’s all one compressor release.
*hard knee uses peak mode while soft knee uses RMS. in the old versions, both used peak.
*added a ‘knee select’ program that allows you to transition between hard and soft knees and get settings in between. this also transitions between the peak and RMS modes, not just hard and soft knee, so it can be pretty interesting to blend between the two extremes.
*harmonics have been hugely improved, with their levels being much more accurate to the hardware (this took a lot of work).
*attack and release have been completely redone. both are far more accurate. the improved attack is probably most instantly noticeable, but the release now has some program dependence. the release timing actually adjusts depending on how much compression you’re getting. the old versions were made before i had figured out how to do this and did not have that behavior programmed in.
*got rid of all the extra versions of the programs that were in the old version. i’m talking about the ones that used various combinations of detector types and feedback amounts. those probably really just added clutter and weren’t used by most people very often. also i couldn’t test each of those programs and some of them probably behaved in strange ways. also got rid of the external sidechain programs since nebula quit allowing that at some point.
*replaced 1k, 5k, and 10k options with my lite, standard, full harmonic, and SHQ options. check out the manual to see what the differences are.
*the crappy ‘dry’ control was replaced with a ‘wet’ control. the dry control just added some dry signal in, which wasn’t very good because it would also increase the output level. the wet control actually transitions between fully dry and fully wet.
*look-ahead max setting lowered to 1.5 ms which is more than enough for instant peak limiting now that the programs are using the updated setups.
*these compressors are just so much better now, in probably every possible way. there may be other smaller changes that i’ve just forgotten to mention. everything is completely new .