Should I develop an Arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So you will be competing with Loomer's TBA thing, Numerology, Thesys and Cream. And maybe I forget something else too.
And you start it off by asking at kvr whether you should do it or not? Hmmm, let me think for a sec.

Most tools which are sold are either sequencers instead of arpeggiators or they can’t even play arpeggios as played! Often they have a defined length etc...
10 People expect 10 different things from something called arpeggiator.
Obviously the op has not found one which does what he thinks it should do...

My answer: Yes, do it!
Its more the question how you would want to share or market it...
All who have found their perfect arpeggiator can tell which is their preferred one, then the OP could explain why it doesn’t cut it for him. That way we all learn...

Some mention arpeggiators built into synths, but who would buy Omnisphere just to use the arp??? (Not me for sure...)

Back in the day I wrote a midi program in Max (Zyklus Improvisor). This program was intended to record short sequences and loop them automatically. It also had an 8-part arpeggiator on board that was very similar to what the FM8 had.

What Improvisor could do was you could lock a certain arp pattern from further note input and STILL be able to alter that arp pattern afterwards using the harmonizer function in real time. The harmonizer would listen to your chord input, extract a scale (like A-minor 7th), and used a quite useful transposition technique to mangle your arp patterns even further. Using normal arps the number of voices have great impact how the pattern is played, not so as described above.

This is a litle demo from 7 years ago that used this technique. Listen to how the arp patterns stay consistent but follows the harmoniser input. (sorry it's a bit lame demo)

https://soundcloud.com/bronswerk/improvisor-arpdemo

perfumer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm So you will be competing with Loomer's TBA thing, Numerology, Thesys and Cream. And maybe I forget something else too.
I've got all those you mention except Loomer's Architect (which so far looks like something only a very patient coder could possibly use, AND AFAICT doesn't even yet come with a pre-built arpeggiator), and none are anywhere near as interesting or adept at arpeggiating as Omnisphere or BlueArp…or any of the many other newer arp apps I continue to collect to this day. I like each of them very well (except the broken and apparently abandoned Cream), but not because they're good arpeggiators; in fact, they're NOT.
Last edited by David on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bronswerk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:27 pm Back in the day I wrote a midi program in Max (Zyklus Improvisor). This program was intended to record short sequences and loop them automatically. It also had an 8-part arpeggiator on board that was very similar to what the FM8 had.

What Improvisor could do was you could lock a certain arp pattern from further note input and STILL be able to alter that arp pattern afterwards using the harmonizer function in real time. The harmonizer would listen to your chord input, extract a scale (like A-minor 7th), and used a quite useful transposition technique to mangle your arp patterns even further. Using normal arps the number of voices have great impact how the pattern is played, not so as described above.

This is a litle demo from 7 years ago that used this technique. Listen to how the arp patterns stay consistent but follows the harmoniser input. (sorry it's a bit lame demo)

https://soundcloud.com/bronswerk/improvisor-arpdemo
Sounds great—Whatever happened to it? Any chance of getting a copy these days?

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree Ana 2 Arp is excellent and has a different approach to Omnisphere 2.6

There is clearly a lot needed to provide the ultimate arp, covering all the capabilities of many existing and those within soft synths.

Challenge accepted!

Kinh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm I dont know wha-da-ell ya on about. All dis ravin' and rantin' bout how arps are'nt good enough. Well I say, shit, if you dont think Omnisphere has enough features den mwaybee you bes finda notha way of makin' sound and experimentin' like in ya daw.
Now try in English. :hihi: :P

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Kinh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm I dont know wha-da-ell ya on about. All dis ravin' and rantin' bout how arps are'nt good enough. Well I say, shit, if you dont think Omnisphere has enough features den mwaybee you bes finda notha way of makin' sound and experimentin' like in ya daw.
i think theres been a head injury in the past 2 years...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=494224
:hug:

Melodology wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm Thanks for the feedback.

I agree Ana 2 Arp is excellent and has a different approach to Omnisphere 2.6

There is clearly a lot needed to provide the ultimate arp, covering all the capabilities of many existing and those within soft synths.

Challenge accepted!
A couple others to look at: BlueArp and Kirnu Cream

What is it you like about the Omnisphere arp?

Whatever you'll make, it will be good and useful, surely the market has very limited variants when it comes to Arpeggiators.

Melodology wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Challenge accepted!
Excellent news :clap: Following with great interest and happy to assist in any ways, like beta testing, feature polls, whatever.

As an avid arp user and collector, I’m already planning to work up some lists of personal fav and least-fav aspects of my most-used arps, will post here or can PM as you’d prefer.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm
i think theres been a head injury in the past 2 years...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=494224
:hug:
:lol:

bronswerk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:27 pm Back in the day I wrote a midi program in Max (Zyklus Improvisor). This program was intended to record short sequences and loop them automatically. It also had an 8-part arpeggiator on board that was very similar to what the FM8 had.
I remember having been part of a discussion at cycling when you started with this project. I didn't follow it unfortunately, but your results are impressive. I am glad you went that route...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpWmeHXajZw

This is a UI which is way beyond a personal tool! Congratulations.
The Yahoo Group of course vanished, is an actual version somewhere to have a look at?

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:59 pm Most tools which are sold are either sequencers instead of arpeggiators or they can’t even play arpeggios as played! Often they have a defined length etc...
10 People expect 10 different things from something called arpeggiator.
Obviously the op has not found one which does what he thinks it should do...

My answer: Yes, do it!
Its more the question how you would want to share or market it...
All who have found their perfect arpeggiator can tell which is their preferred one, then the OP could explain why it doesn’t cut it for him. That way we all learn...

Some mention arpeggiators built into synths, but who would buy Omnisphere just to use the arp??? (Not me for sure...)
You're absolutely right regarding the definition of arpeggiator. A lot of synth patches will use a sequencer mode, so it's important that functionality caters for arp and seq modes.

David wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:47 pm
perfumer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm So you will be competing with Loomer's TBA thing, Numerology, Thesys and Cream. And maybe I forget something else too.
I've got all those you mention except Loomer's Architect (which so far looks like something only a very patient coder could possibly use, AND AFAICT doesn't even yet come with a pre-built arpeggiator), and none are anywhere near as interesting or adept at arpeggiating as Omnisphere or BlueArp…or any of the many other newer arp apps I continue to collect to this day. I like each of them very well (except the broken and apparently abandoned Cream), but not because they're good arpeggiators; in fact, they're NOT.
What is LOOMER? Is it something not yet released?

Return to “Instruments”