[Delete]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you have Reaktor, check out some of Dieter Zobel’s work from the user library.

...its still there (just AU though) https://www.airwindows.com/nikola/

Chris often listens if people find an old Gem which could be useful for them. Needs his Time & Decision, but why not just ask; as he pretty often ports AUs to VST, if needed. :tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

fennesz :love:

You spelled it wrong...

rees mogg as a teen?

Any distortion that lets you manually draw the curves should let you turn tonal material into crackles. Just draw a map that produces sharp transitions over a narrow range of input volumes, then pass that through a resonant filter and you should get something nice and crackly. This technique works best if you've pre-filtered your input signal to remove high frequencies, like the Fennesz guitar drone presumably was. I did a quick test passing a Raum drone through an old Buzz distortion plugin just now, and it came out pretty convincingly crackly.

[Edit: to be clear, the distortion curves in the image are mapping output levels (on the vertical) to input levels (on the horizontal), not frequencies, in case that's confusing. I used a Buzz native effect here, but I'm sure there are plenty of VSTs with comparable functionality.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[Delete]

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Delete]

If you're looking for a way to get the crackles to swell more with the volume, something like an envelope follower or other modulation could help. It doesn't seem like more compression would be necessary to get the effect. Are you using the Nikola plugin or a distortion?

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some of it might be done mechanically. Let some paper buzz in front of a speaker... (Kazoo effect)
And thanks for sharing the music, I did not come across Fennesz yet, though I know David Sylvian. Wonderful stuff...

There’s somebody i know who may be interested in me building a sort of musical tesla coil for him. I thing that would fit the application quite well i bet. (Overkill 🙂)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Effects”