Bitwig 3.1 - Scene: Jump To ... for all clips of this scene?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

on one of my projects I use Bitwig for Samples and Clicktracks.
To do this, I have our songs arranged in scenes, one song a scene each.
That works pretty well on gigs - a click on "Scene Start" will launch Sample and Click Tracks from start, correctly.

But on rehearsals we would like to jump into a scene's part at will.
That does not work as we like to.

There is the possibility to click on the Scene's head, so Clip Multi Edit Window will open. Then there is a time bar with a "jump to" option. That would totally work for us, but it doesn't, because almost always all Tracks of this scene WILL start at exactly the point where we would click on "Jump To", but at least ONE Clip will start from the very beginning, so this does not work.

What is it, I am doing wrong here? Or is there a better setup for our Show?
P.S.: all tracks are simple wave audio tracks ...

Best Regards
B.

Currently there are 2 ways to do this. I dont think there is a timed automatic method...yet

You need to click the little pointing finger hand in the bottom right and map the clips or scenes to a computer keyboard or midi controller. Some midi controllers have bitwig scripts which show all the clips automatically on the controllers pads for quick launching by clip or scene.

Also check each clips settings in the left panel. There are options for quantizing playback and so forth. This may not currently be set to your liking.

Adding a Launchpad to your rig seems like a good (and cheap) solution. It allows you to launch whole scenes or single clips.

I can't help with why what you describe doesn't work correctly. Peraps some of the clips are shorter and looped? Could be a bug, too.
bombasstard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:18 pmOr is there a better setup for our Show?
Anyway, this particular point ^^^ made me wonder: what exactly is in the scenes in your case? Let's say a song is 4 minutes long - does every clip in the scene lasts for 4 minutes and so the scene consists of 4-minute recordings of each instrument, separated to different tracks / clips? If that's the case, why wouldn't you just use Arranger view for that, since you're not modifying the song during playback in any way? I believe you can define keyboard shortcuts to start playback from each song marker (you insert them by right-clicking on the ruler in Arranger), so that would basically work the same way?

On the other hand, a much more flexible approach would be to spread every song accross several scenes (at least intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, brige, outro, etc.) and launch those accordingly to how the crowd reacts - keep them looping longer, shorter, skip altogether, turn on/off certain tracks in them, etc. This would also obviously make it easier to jump to specified point in the song during rehearsals, too.

BTW, I'd be really interested to hear your music, or maybe even see a video from your performance if that's available somewhere? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks for the replys.

As for the Launchpad - I have one of the older models and already thought about this option, but at the moment we are just fine using the mousepad on my notebook.
Remember: for live uses, it is totally sufficient for our drummer to start a whole scene at song beginning - actually, our use of Bitwig - at the moment - is some glorified CD player with 3 Channels ;-)

Let me clarify our setup - I made some screenshots:

This is the main setup. You see song names as scene names. As channels: Samples is stereo, routed on Output 1 and 2 of my Focusrite Scarlett Audio Device. Click is mono, routed on Output 3. Click & Samples is some kind of fallback channel, in case the Audio Device is broken (or forgotten to take with, oh boy, I can tell) - this channel is all Samples in mono panned to one side and click to the other, so we can use the standard stereo output of the notebook as emergency fallback. For our normal cases, this is muted. As well as "Original Cut", which is a full band recording of the song, which is only used by myself for home practice, this channel does not matter in live context.

For live context this works great - I have used this with a former band with great results.

Now the rehearsal situation:
Let's say we want to check some part of a Song "The Book".
But we do not always want to play the song from the beginning.

So now we double click the scene, and we see all samples in edit mode:

What I WOULD expect is following behaviour:
I would click on the timeline bar just above the topmost audio track, and I would expect all the samples to be played from this position.

What happens is:
The "Samples" audio track DOES play from exactly this position. I am able to click somewhere between in the timeline, and the track plays from this point on.
The "Click" Audio track always starts from the beginning and not in sync with the position I click.

So. What am I doing wrong here?
Is there maybe a better approach to our problem?
melodyz wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 pm Also check each clips settings in the left panel. There are options for quantizing playback and so forth. This may not currently be set to your liking.
Yes, this was one of my earlier mistakes. Now all clips have the same quantizing option (None).
stamp wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:11 pm Adding a Launchpad to your rig seems like a good (and cheap) solution. It allows you to launch whole scenes or single clips.
I still have one of these things and I thought about that, but this would be another piece of gear to take with, and our drummer is perfectly fine using the mousepad for the simple "start" click on each scene for each song.
antic604 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm If that's the case, why wouldn't you just use Arranger view for that, since you're not modifying the song during playback in any way? I believe you can define keyboard shortcuts to start playback from each song marker (you insert them by right-clicking on the ruler in Arranger), so that would basically work the same way?
Yes, that would be the final solution, if nothing other works. I don' t want to do this, because at the moment our setup enables us to change setlists very quickly. If I would set this all to arranger, we would have to scroll through the set.
On the other hand, a much more flexible approach would be to spread every song accross several scenes (at least intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, brige, outro, etc.) and launch those accordingly to how the crowd reacts - keep them looping longer, shorter, skip altogether, turn on/off certain tracks in them, etc. This would also obviously make it easier to jump to specified point in the song during rehearsals, too.
Yes, but this is - at the moment - not our "modus operandi" (too complicated for the time being, although personally like this very much - maybe some time later).
In that case I would prefer the "arrangement" approach :-)

Thing is: why does "my" approach not work? Should do, in my opinion, or am I missing some key element?
BTW, I'd be really interested to hear your music, or maybe even see a video from your performance if that's available somewhere? :)
Not yet, but we are working on it. We are going to play some Gigs in the region of Dortmund from March on - If you are interested, have a look - we are http://www.mayze.de/de/band.html
But be warned - the Bitwig use in this band is non spectacular - the aforementioned "glorified CD player" ;-)

*bump*

Anyone?

Return to “Bitwig”