Should I develop an Arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:38 pm
Melodology wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm Thanks for the feedback.

I agree Ana 2 Arp is excellent and has a different approach to Omnisphere 2.6

There is clearly a lot needed to provide the ultimate arp, covering all the capabilities of many existing and those within soft synths.

Challenge accepted!
A couple others to look at: BlueArp and Kirnu Cream

What is it you like about the Omnisphere arp?
Omnisphere's arp is really a sequencer, but it's extremely well designed in terms of the GUI, so this is definitely the level of quality I'd want to meet for the design aspect. It's important to make the end product easy to use and not overwhelming, whilst still providing advanced capability where the user desires it.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm If you could have a user defined key range like C-1 to C0 be set to control preset switching that would be cool.
What exactly would we be switching / triggering?

hebex wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:59 pm Please, a good user-friendly arp and step sequencer, just like Omnisphere and with randomization.

And don´t forget to make a couple of hours of tutorials available on YouTube, etc, on how to really best take advantage of it. A couple of hours for this compared to the developing time for the product should be pretty much nothing, but be gold for the beginner user. And have other people than yourself to do these tutorials -- people with fresh eyes who knows nothing about programming etc, but are good musicians.

So much time is spent on VST-products that people rarely make use of in a creative way, because the products are non-intuitive and require too much knowledge already, and/or nobody shows the consumers how to really make use of it in a production.

It´s one thing to know what a synth knob does, but how you use it together with all the other things on the synthesizer to make real MUSIC in a production -- and not just weird sounds that noone but synth nerds listens to -- is something else.

Those who do this with their VST-products -- ie gear for MUSICIANS -- usually make a lot of money, pretty much like Spectrasonics and Toontrack and such companies.

So much people want to make music, but the technology is still pretty much in their way, because it´s still very badly explained how it all works together for your creativity when you are a musician and want to make real music-- and not just a synth/tech nerd spending endless time just masturb*ting the knobs.

Sincerely, good luck! :)
I'm totally with you on YouTube tutorials and I'd already thought of this ... so I'd produce individual tutorials that show how it could be used to replicate arp/seq on all the most popular synths.

Additionally, tutorials that show it being used in a real production role, creating tracks from scratch etc.

Stefken wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm Sure. The ultimate arp doesn't exist yet.

I really like the chord memory + arp feature in Ana2 so an Arp/seq that could do that would interest me.
Another seq I really like is the graphical seq from the Pure Acid app for 303 acid sequences, giving a clear view of the slides and accents which are essential for 303 sequences.

Ana2 chord + arp tutorial video:

https://youtu.be/gjGE-uMxf3U
Yes, I agree ... combining chord memory would add a new dimension. I think this will be in V2, but definitely in the list of development inclusions.

Yes please.

Add also a step sequencer-ish mode that is played on a midi note, so that you play e.g. just 7 steps from a 16th sequence and than start to loop again - so that the sequence is not the whole bar. This way you can create great polyrhythms.

Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm
Steve Bolivar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm If you could have a user defined key range like C-1 to C0 be set to control preset switching that would be cool.
What exactly would we be switching / triggering?
Saved arp presets, surely:)

I can't believe there isn't a single arp/seq with a "strum" capability .... there will be soon :-)

Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm I can't believe there isn't a single arp/seq with a "strum" capability .... there will be soon :-)
Just arpeggiate at 640 BPM...

640? :shock:

Russell Grand wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 am 640? :shock:
I guess the MUSH might sound like a strum with the right effects pedal!?

NOT!

You need to stutter it for a 64th... and get strummin @ 100 BPM... :hihi:

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm
Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm I can't believe there isn't a single arp/seq with a "strum" capability .... there will be soon :-)
Just arpeggiate at 640 BPM...
ANA2 has strum (and exports MIDI data) and so does Scaler...

Modulys had it for ages... :?

Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:19 pm
David wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:47 pm
perfumer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm So you will be competing with Loomer's TBA thing, Numerology, Thesys and Cream. And maybe I forget something else too.
I've got all those you mention except Loomer's Architect (which so far looks like something only a very patient coder could possibly use, AND AFAICT doesn't even yet come with a pre-built arpeggiator), and none are anywhere near as interesting or adept at arpeggiating as Omnisphere or BlueArp…or any of the many other newer arp apps I continue to collect to this day. I like each of them very well (except the broken and apparently abandoned Cream), but not because they're good arpeggiators; in fact, they're NOT.
What is LOOMER? Is it something not yet released?
https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm

Currently in pre-release beta, doesn't see new versions too often. Sort of a modular/scripting thing for MIDI, but having tested the demo I think that I'd almost rather try to teach myself how to assemble MIDI ensembles in Reaktor than try to figure out how to use it - no exaggeration that it's quite close to coding at this point, rather than a drag-and-drop "make your own MIDIFX" at the moment.

In the same vein, this had an updated release recently:

http://en.soundigy.com/midilab.php

This one is a bit closer to a modular environment. Neither one is really a musical MIDI arpeggiator, though, so much as a MIDI utility/swiss-army-knife that could possible do arpeggiation as one of its features, so not really competition for something like what you're describing.

A more recent Venomode release seems like it might be closer:

https://venomode.com/phrasebox

Specifically designed as a phrase arpeggiator for chords, but with a sort of piano-roll-meets-transposition interface. Still not what I would call a perfectly comprehensive MIDI arpeggiator, but it does have some promising features, and is the most feature-full direct arpeggiator that I've seen in a while (as opposed to MIDI pattern sequencers which create patterns but don't necessarily directly arpeggiate chords or inputs).

That being said, I'm quite interested in new MIDI devices and arpeggiators, so I'll definitely keep a keen eye on whatever you decide to develop.

Edit: And, of course, a link to a comprehensive discussion on MIDI devices thus far: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&start=450

Homegrown also has a sequencer collection for the full version of Kontakt as it allows you to export MIDI to another instrument:

https://hgsounds.com/product/midi-seque ... r-kontakt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dxnqqy ... e=emb_logo

Return to “Instruments”