Arturia Microbrute won't stay in tune, help?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I bought a second hand Microbrute and I really like it so far, except for one little (or not so little) thing. The Microbrute won't stay in tune, no matter what I do.

I always let it warm up (sometimes even up to an hour before I start doing anything) and then I try to use the fine tune knob, and obviously that doesn't work, because it's detuned in a different ways over several different octaves, I tried the infamous "technote" that recommends tuning, or calibrating the oscillators by adjusting the little screws in the back of the brute, and it might stay in tune for a while that way, but then after an hour or so it will drift again by like a semitone or even two in some cases.

What do I do? Is it broken? Should I keep it, get it repaired or try selling it?

Same problem for me with a brand new one.

hivkorn wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 am Same problem for me with a brand new one.
Did you manage to somehow fix it? Or at least find a partial explanation to why is that happening?

I thought, maybe because of it's analog nature it needs a certain "break in" time? The one I bought is used, but according to the dude I bought it off of he only used it like once and it pretty much just laid around in his studio and he bought it around the middle of december, so like a month ago.

Also, I think the more I use it and tune it with the screws in the back each time I want to use it, it gets more and more stable with it's tuning, at least that's what it feels like.

mine always have this problem since the first day , i 'd never try to repair it , i just tune it when it begun to be out of tune.

It's the same with the MiniBrute...I had a MB 2S (module version) and the tuning drifts endlessly...not a lot, but a real irritant. Loved the sequencer functionality, but several other things about it really annoyed me. I have mostly been a polysynth guy, and have tried a few monos over the last year (MicroFreak, MB 2S, MS20 mini...all secondhand purchases). I currently am exploring an SE-02 (Roland / Studio Electronics collaboration). Had some issues with noise, but put an isolator in the USB line and it quieted down. It's somewhat Moogish, but the oscillator configuration is awesome and very flexible...also love the on-board delay unit, very usable. The most recent firmware update added an LFO that is configured with the 'keyboard'...works better/easier than I expected. Broader range of sound than any Moog mono I have played around with.

I never had that kind of trouble with my Microbrute's tuning. I never touched the calibration stuff, just the fine tune knob.

The only thing that ever was weird on mine was that the mod wheel would sometimes glitch out while I was moving it and jump to high values -- messing with settings in the setup software always cleared it up for a while though.

foosnark wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:18 pm I never had that kind of trouble with my Microbrute's tuning. I never touched the calibration stuff, just the fine tune knob.

The only thing that ever was weird on mine was that the mod wheel would sometimes glitch out while I was moving it and jump to high values -- messing with settings in the setup software always cleared it up for a while though.
well, in my case it's kinda hard not to touch the calibration stuff, because the middle C on my Microbrute was so out of tune the fine tune knob wouldn't get it back to C, because it was stuck on F, so the calibration was the only way, and even though I've calibrated it multiple times now and got it in tune, it still goes out of tune like motherf*cker everytime I turn it on and let it warm up, so the procedure needs to be repeated every single time.

If anyone ever finds this thread for Google or something - I ended up selling my Microbrute. Don't get me wrong, I loved it's sound, but calibrating it basically after every power on was a dealbreaker and I just couldn't use it like that. Didn't find a definitive solution to the problem, so if anyone wants to share their experience here, I'll still be glad to listen.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”