Should I develop an Arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:lol:

Bad producer will always going complain about his tools or missing something but only himself.

p.s. Piano roll is the best arpeggiator ever created (Fl Studio one is especialy great one)

The more sophisticated these tools, the more they are aimed at composing it seems. Venome phrasebox is interesting in its own way, but its not made for improvisation.
What about an arpeggiator, with key switches to control how to arpeggiate a played chord. It does not need to be too sophisticated and could be implemented without too much effort. Simple things need to be simple.
If you want to play a chord or sequence with a single keystroke, it should be a separate different tool...

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm
Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm I can't believe there isn't a single arp/seq with a "strum" capability .... there will be soon :-)
Just arpeggiate at 640 BPM...
ANA2 has strum (and exports MIDI data) and so does Scaler...
My ANA 2 doesn't ... where is it? (I bought the latest version recently)

Melodology wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 pm
Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm I can't believe there isn't a single arp/seq with a "strum" capability .... there will be soon :-)
It is in the CMD (chord memory device). Far right.

https://youtu.be/9xeT6IdTibM?t=261

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:33 pm
Melodology wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 pm
It is in the CMD (chord memory device). Far right.

https://youtu.be/9xeT6IdTibM?t=261
Gotcha ... not quite the same as I had in mind, as I'll have a strum option on each step in the arp/seq lane

David wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm
Steve Bolivar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm If you could have a user defined key range like C-1 to C0 be set to control preset switching that would be cool.
What exactly would we be switching / triggering?
Saved arp presets, surely:)
Yes, exactly. With the right hand you could hold a chord and with the left hand you would dictate how that chord was arpeggiated.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm
David wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Melodology wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm
Steve Bolivar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm If you could have a user defined key range like C-1 to C0 be set to control preset switching that would be cool.
What exactly would we be switching / triggering?
Saved arp presets, surely:)
Yes, exactly. With the right hand you could hold a chord and with the left hand you would dictate how that chord was arpeggiated.
Great for live performance!

Melodology wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 am
Russell Grand wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 am 640? :shock:
I guess the MUSH might sound like a strum with the right effects pedal!?

NOT!
:hihi:

Don't forget to check out the multitude of options on iOS first.

There are many tools that have strumming but I'm not sure if any pure arp has.

Could use key tracking to modulate delay for strumming.
I'm happy with bluearp. Don't want go overboard on arps though.

Hello. Just my 5 cents. As a BlueARP developer, I think I have some experience I can share.
So, regarding the topic:
1. Have a clear idea, how this arp should be different from other ones. It shouldn't be something revolutionary, but you should have a clear idea - what use cases/workflow it is designed for. Try to make it the best for this particular scenario/use case.
2. Don't try to make "ultimate-super-do-it-all" arp with "unlimited possibilites". Limitations are good sometimes. Find your perfect balance between features and simplicity.
3. You will get both positive and negative feedback. Sometimes - very negative. Be prepared to that.
4. When users ask you for new features, ask yourself - will it make your thing better or add just another unnecessary level of complexity. The truth is - you won't satisfy everyone.
5. Don't expect to make a lot (if any) money from this. There are good arps out there that are now abandonware.
6. Development should be fun, otherwise it is not worth it.

graywolf2004 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 pm Hello. Just my 5 cents. As a BlueARP developer, I think I have some experience I can share.
So, regarding the topic:
1. Have a clear idea, how this arp should be different from other ones. It shouldn't be something revolutionary, but you should have a clear idea - what use cases/workflow it is designed for. Try to make it the best for this particular scenario/use case.
2. Don't try to make "ultimate-super-do-it-all" arp with "unlimited possibilites". Limitations are good sometimes. Find your perfect balance between features and simplicity.
3. You will get both positive and negative feedback. Sometimes - very negative. Be prepared to that.
4. When users ask you for new features, ask yourself - will it make your thing better or add just another unnecessary level of complexity. The truth is - you won't satisfy everyone.
5. Don't expect to make a lot (if any) money from this. There are good arps out there that are now abandonware.
6. Development should be fun, otherwise it is not worth it.
I'm with you on all of the points except 5 haha, but we can discuss this point 1 year from now :-)

The main things that would make a new arp app a must buy, all-time best, for me, would be:

#1. Complete editability of each and every step of the arp pattern, including pitch, octave, duration, velocity and polyphony (as in BlueArp), ideally with unlimited steps, and including some unique note fx, expanding upon those in the Omnisphere 2.6 arp.

#2. Pattern switching via keyswitches, as well as a pattern chaining sequencer, as in BlueArp.

#3. All parameters modulatable, as in the Omni arp, via MIDI CC, MIDI Learn, and ideally, also using internal modulators, plus a collection of additional internal MIDI FX and MIDI CC out capability as in the HY Seq Collection2. A MIDI recorder would be cool, too, as in the Seq Collection, but not essential.

#4. Available as an AU MIDI FX, as well vst/vst3. With MIDI Through!

IOW, DO try to make "ultimate-super-do-it-all" arp with "unlimited possibilites".
Limitations are already richly available in every other arp currently on offer.

As for the perfect balance between features and simplicity, a simple choose-a-pattern, set-some-basics, opening GUI makes sense to me, for those who don't expect a lot from an arpeggiator and don't want complexity, with the available depth provided in one or more Edit/Expert level pages/tabs for those who want to do things that no other arp app can currently do.

I'm not so sure if I like step arpeggiators anymore, although they are very useful. What I like to see is some development in a new direction that wasn't done before.

I have a simple idea for an arpeggiator type that I like to call:
"The Rhythm Arpeggiator".

Assume we were able to record 2 simple one bar midi patterns and only the timing and velocity info is recorded. We call these patterns "Rhythm A" and "Rhythm B". If Rhythm A is selected as the source for the arpeggio then we will hear the usual NoteUp, NoteDown or what ever note variations there are build in with the rhytmic content of A. And the same as if we selected Rhythm B as source. But what if A and B can be together as a source fo the arpeggio? What kind of rules would then apply? And what would happen if one of those rhytmic patterns is shifted a 1/16 note or 1/8 note? And what if we would set some sort of loop range inside the rhytmic pattern?

Return to “Instruments”