I am still in Win7 please advise!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been avoiding the update for quite some time now but decided to make the leap today. I only use my music computer for music production using my home PC for everything else so I opted to go with the update rather than a fresh install since I don't have a bunch of junk or bloatware on my machine. Use the free upgrade that still works from years ago and it went surprisingly well. Had a minor hiccup with an eLicenser but that was quickly fixed. All of my iLok stuff went perfectly smooth, that was actually the highlight of the upgrade. Komplete Ultimate stuff is running fine. Steinberg and Korg collections are running fine. Everything seems to be running at a fairly similar CPU level except my Arturia Collection which is running high on CPU. I'm going to continue to streamline stuff and see if that helps but this was way easier than I was expecting going into this. Posting this up for others who may be nervous about upgrading.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

I initially upgraded-in-place and I think everything just worked, NI stuff stayed activated, old audio interface with no win10 drivers was fine etc. I try to keep my system tidy so maybe that helped.

I did a clean install when I upgraded to a SSD, that was painless too, just signed in to my outlook account and Windows activated fine.

Been a bit of a mixed bag, the upgrade selected my admin account as my main user account which meant that most of my user files needed to be relocated (although some vsts didn't give me that option and needed to be completely reinstalled). Will take some time to sort out but mostly fixable at present.

IF win10 is installed. i recommend openshell and shutup10 as the first measurement. you can go even further and debloat win10 with a script https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ziE5Am0pM.
win10 isnt that bad at all once you whip it real good^^.

openshell gives you a smooth transition with the gui. especially with the control panel stuff.

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:33 pm openshell and shutup10
Both are good measures. But it only seems to be a question of time when the next sabotage of openshell will happen (the former classic shell team apparently stopped development because of this) and the settings neatly presented in one place by shutup10 - will dissolve bit by bit caused by inevitable updates. =(

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”