Advice if a Mixer is the Answer for my PC based Home Studio

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to give a rundown of my current setup, and what I would like to be able to do with it. I also would appreciate it if someone could examine all this and determine an answer.

Windows 10 Home/Creators
Focusrite 18i8 2nd gen Audio Interface
I have a Studio Logic SL-88 Studio master controller keyboard with no audio functionality.
I then have a Yamaha MODX 61 (Has USB Audio OUT)
A Roland SE-02 Boutique Synth (Has USB Audio OUT)
A Roland System-8 (Has USB Audio OUT)
A Behringer DeepMind 12D (No USB Audio OUT)
A Maschine MK3 (Has USB Audio OUT)
Ibanez Guitar
Dynamic Mic
Logitech USB Headset w Mic
Planning on adding a Korg Wavestate someday. Keep this in mind, please.

Everything listed has analog Stereo Audio outs with the exception of the SL88, Logitech.

DAW's: Cubase 10.5 PRO, Maschine

My goal is to be able to record all their audio including windows Apps into OBS (my software for making videos).

I am thinking that even though my PC is very powerful, that a mixer may be the answer in order to be easier on what the PC has to do.

I was looking at this one (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... nd-effects) and running all the analog outs from the above into it and not even using its USB functionality but instead outputting to the Focusrite since the only ASIO driver I know of that allows me to do OBS this way is the Fruity Loops ASIO. The Fruity Loops driver however only recognizes Inputs 1&2. That’s it.

If a mixer is a good idea and have I picked the right one, considering I am adding another Keyboard-Wavestate. Could someone tell me how to properly connect everything to this mixer, cables, correct connections, etc?

With the 18i8 you have plenty line inputs for those synths. I think you can do without a mixer at all.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 pm With the 18i8 you have plenty line inputs for those synths. I think you can do without a mixer at all.
On the contrary my friend. There are only 8 total 1/4" jacks on the 18i8, so as it stands if I connect all my sound modules and keyboards that don't leave me any jacks for the guitar, mic, or when I do buy a Korg Wavestate. Please dont take this the wrong way, but my problem isn't about having enough inputs.

I should elaborate. I am trying to make videos of my performances in my studio. My videos are going to be part desktop capture (for example: My DAW software in action and how I use it) and part camera. I use Streamlabs OBS to do this, it is free software that many who are doing videos like these, use. I have found however that in order to get the DAW audio into the video that OBS captures, I need to use the ASIO driver from FL Studio. This allows the audio from windows apps like my DAW or Winamp to be captured at the same time. There is something with the FL Studio ASIO driver however. Once you go to its control panel, only the first two inputs on your audio interface are visible and usable. My idea is to plug all my instruments into a mixer and run its L&R outputs into 1&2 on my focusrite. That way my video when I press keys/strum guitar or whatever, will be synchronized to the audio.

Part of the original question is to also know if the Behringer Xenyx 1222 USB is a good choice for this amount of connections and hopefully someone could guide me in connecting all of my instruments to it.

What's your budget and how many mono & stereo channels would you like ideally? A mixer with both mono & stereo channels seems like the best solution. I have a similar setup (mixer into audio interface) and use an A&H ZED 14 mixer with 6 mono, 4 stereo channels plus 2 x stereo TRS ins and outs as well as an XLR stereo out and a mono TRS out. https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/zed-series/

Another possibility might be a USB hub for gear that has USB audio (I've never tried doing that) and use the Apollo for everything else ... :?
IgnisMalleus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm Everything listed has analog Stereo Audio outs with the exception of the SL88, Logitech.
Isn't the SE-02 a monosynth ... ?

Isn't the SE-02 a monosynth ... ?
Yes, it is mono in that it has no polyphony, but the audio out is 1/8" stereo. I use a cable that turn that into an LR 1/4" out.

I am a solo musician. My budget is really no more than $300
Essentially once the Wavestate is part of this, I will need, all in all, 12x1/4" Inputs. 10 of those will be receiving the 5 stereo devices with LR outputs. The other 2 will be for my MIC and my Guitar.

If all goes well my videos will be of me either Jamming/Experimenting with everything together or me doing a serious creation. Hopefully, the audio will be synced with the video because I have figured out this mess, lol.

I have talked to a few musicians that do this kind of thing and some are actually camming separately from the audio they are recording into their DAW or PC. They then sync the audio track to the video in a video editor. That is a problem for me since that just adds another piece of software I have to purchase and learn. Some run an audio cable to the Camera.

Oh, you want to record while everything is playing? Sorry, I didn't get that little detail.

Maybe you're interested in a line mixer which just has gain per channel, no EQ. These are more simple, so more channels for the same money. There are plenty of 12ch models (6 stereo pairs) but then you have no room to grow. For example the ART MX822 has 8 stereo channels, just like the Behringer RX1602.

If you want EQ per channel, there are some within your budget, such as the Midas DM16. Or look for a second-hand Mackie 1604.

Thank you Bert, I forgot all about those! I’m going to check those out right away. That would be ideal, I really don’t need a lot of features, everything can be EQ’d via software. Thanks.

Nice, doing it this way is a good saving and lets me get extra cables. The RX 1602 is ideal and very happy is has nothing to do with a USB connection. Glad I came to KVR for the answer. I have been asking questions like this for while on FB and no one suggested a Line mixer, I do remember someone suggesting asking this at KVR though.

How about a Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain via adat and a Patchbay
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm How about a Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain via adat and a Patchbay
Was going to suggest that route too - use ADAT to extend with individual channels. For $300 good moneys worth.

Everything can be recorded at once onto separate audio channels. A mixer usually end up with a stereo out to all ins.

The Samson SM10 looks good too.

IgnisMalleus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:59 pm The Samson SM10 looks good too.
I have one ... works great. It has 8 stereo ins, 2 aux sends , 2 stereo line ins and 2 stereo outs (main mix & monitor mix). I use mine as a sub-mixer ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:10 pm
IgnisMalleus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:59 pm The Samson SM10 looks good too.
I have one ... works great. It has 8 stereo ins, 2 aux sends , 2 stereo line ins and 2 stereo outs (main mix & monitor mix). I use mine as a sub-mixer ...
Good to know that is encouraging.

IgnisMalleus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 pm everything can be EQ’d via software.
Well, once it's all mixed your options are limited. No way to do separate EQing on specific synths.
Probably the ADA8200 (connect with ADAT lightpipe) is a better option, still within budget. Then you can record all synths on their own channel and process them individually.
Last edited by BertKoor on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lfm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm Was going to suggest that route too - use ADAT to extend with individual channels. For $300 good moneys worth.

Everything can be recorded at once onto separate audio channels. A mixer usually end up with a stereo out to all ins.
A similar scenario.
https://youtu.be/jRn3taQGTVQ
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”