step sequencer VST that can be triggered without the DAW playing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have searched high and low for a MIDI generator plugin that can do this and I am surprised that I can't find anything that does it exactly.

The concept is pretty simple. You know how some instruments, like a lot of Kontakt's drum libraries, have a range on the keyboard where you can just hold down the keys and it will play a beat? I would like something like that except as a generic MIDI VST. Mostly to make beats and other rhythmic instruments, like Output's Signal.

You should be able to define patterns in some sort of step sequencer, and you should be able to trigger different patterns by pressing different notes on your keyboard. There are many step sequencer VSTs that almost do this, but they actually just play the patterns continuously while the DAW plays. If you stop the DAW you get nothing. The arpeggiator Kirnu actually behaves like what I'm talking about, except it is an arpeggiator. You can play Kirnu with the DAW stopped and retrigger the arpeggio pattern every time you play a new key or chord. It allows you to play different notes that are offset from the ones you are playing, but what I am talking about is playing absolute, arbitrary notes with the ability to select completely different patterns when you press different keys.

I think you get the idea. Ideally it should be able to output to multiple MIDI channels or ports so that you could control multiple instruments with it. That's basically it, although I could imagine other nice controls like a legato mode, so that when you play an overlapping note it switches to another pattern but starting on the beat where the other pattern left off (Urban beats in Kontakt behaves this way). And a poly/mono toggle so you could layer beats or not.

Loomer architect
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Full Bucket SequencAir
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thanks...

I don't quite understand what Loomer Architect is. It looks like overkill for what I want, so maybe/probably it can do what I want. Can it really trigger different patterns by playing different notes? Problem is, it is expensive, and there are no demo videos out there showing what it can do.

Full Bucket SequencAir is close, but it can't actually trigger different patterns from notes. It can start playing when you press a note, which is great, but you can't select the pattern to play that way, which is a critical part of what I was asking for.

Weird that it is so hard to find a tool for such a common sense idea. I thought there would be ten popular VSTs that fit my description out there by now.

Lomacar wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:13 am Thanks...

I don't quite understand what Loomer Architect is. It looks like overkill for what I want, so maybe/probably it can do what I want. Can it really trigger different patterns by playing different notes? Problem is, it is expensive, and there are no demo videos out there showing what it can do.

Full Bucket SequencAir is close, but it can't actually trigger different patterns from notes. It can start playing when you press a note, which is great, but you can't select the pattern to play that way, which is a critical part of what I was asking for.

Weird that it is so hard to find a tool for such a common sense idea. I thought there would be ten popular VSTs that fit my description out there by now.
Architect seems to be in eternal beta and a very high price considering. Is there a date set for its release yet?

What about midiLooper? https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midilo ... t-piz-here

Looks like it could possibly do what I want, but it has disappeared from the internet! Does anybody have it lying around? :pray:

Return to “Instruments”