'Proteus VX has stopped working'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I managed to get the Proteus VX player working in win 10 64 bit, not sure about the vst however if you launch the player and load exb file into it does respond, with the occasional crash. If you right click the shortcut on the desktop, run in compatibility mode and i think i have it set as XP sp3 and run as administrator it appears to load and playback fine. Im using Novation Impulse usb'd into the pc as one of my midi controllers. It loads up all the E-MU sound modules i have.

Was having problems getting the .exb file to load on win10. Used the advice above except went to the creative professional\proteus vx folder and set the .exe to run in xpsp3 compatability mode as administrator. Both stand alone and vst load .exb and are running perfect? Hope it helps someone else thanks ckh

Cool stuff. Thanks ckh and FrettedSynth.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I lost all my soundbanks of Proteus vx. Anyone have anything I could scrounge to see if I can get it all working in Win10 again? Even the one that is supposed to be included, which is evidently corrupted on my system.

Thanks in optimistic anticipation! :D
so many samples, so little time....

https://proteus-vx.software.informer.com/2.0/

It's a 65meg .zip archive, should have the main .exb file., which might need to be loaded each time the plugin is started, via the files menu.
Maybe try ebay for 0404 soundcards where the buyer includes
e-mu CD's that were part of a bundle.

Cheers

Re ProtVX

I haven't used it in years simply because of the load time in daws.
Install and run must be accomplished via right click run as administrator. Same with your daw/host Start it via right click run as admin.

The files can not be set to different directories if your host uses some type of roaming or you place them in the incorrect program files folder it will fail.

I've had the original series rom cards installed to my Emu Command Station (XL-7) It's slightly different (better) than the Creative Labs Emu libraries for Prot and Emulator X3
The source prom files aren't owned by Creative even though Creative bought Emu. The source files are owned by DSF. https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/

The majority of ProtVX bread and butter tones were derived from Proteus 2000 though MoFatt and Xtreme Leads are also present.

DSF has several formats to choose output for but in reality it's all sf2. You don't get zpoles or effects. I tried the Cakewaik dimensions version and suffice it to say I was less than pleased. The hardware version sounds the best. ProtVX was a close second but a pia. And later DSF (including structure/dimensions) were also crap.

I still think about the layered piano with strings or voice but then I just open my daw and dig up something useable and move on.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Instruments”