Q: Do we need HDDs any more?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I keep a hardware clone of my SSD's taken every 3 months or so (again on Samsung 850 pro), just in case. Would save mega hassle/time in man hours more than anything else.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm I still run HDD RAID10 for my working projects (music, programming, recently videos). Surely I'd like to go full-SSD, but then how do I guarantee the data is safe? I already had to replace my previous system SSD which failed fatally short after 2 years of operation.
You guarantee that data is safe by having a comprehensive backup plan involving multiple on/offsite backups. Your post implies that you're relying on disk redundancy as a backup strategy... :help:

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:33 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm I still run HDD RAID10 for my working projects (music, programming, recently videos). Surely I'd like to go full-SSD, but then how do I guarantee the data is safe? I already had to replace my previous system SSD which failed fatally short after 2 years of operation.
You guarantee that data is safe by having a comprehensive backup plan involving multiple on/offsite backups. Your post implies that you're relying on disk redundancy as a backup strategy... :help:
Man, I am not a bank or a space shuttle. I am hobbyist :P

When I told friends at work (software developers) anout it, they said they don't know anyone who keeps RAID in home PC.

And yep, in previous system my RAID 10 was barely working with up to 2 disk faults and one broken cable... Now I have reliable models, so this can only be better.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:14 pm Man, I am not a bank or a space shuttle. I am hobbyist :P
When I told friends at workj (softwrae developers) anout it, they said they don't know anyone who keeps RAID in home PC.

And yep, in previous system my RAID 10 was barely working with up to 2 disk faults and one broken cable... Now I have reliable models, so this can only be better.
redundant arrays are all great - until you have something trully disastrous (fire/flood/lightning strike etc) that takes out the entire array in one go - at which point you realise WHY people were telling you a redundant array alone does not constitute a proper recovery plan

with relatively cheap cloud storage doing backups to off-site storage is something even 'hobbyists' can afford - or you can go old-school and have a pair of suitably large external HDDs and rotate them off-site (keep the current copy at your work or a relatives house)

RAID in itself only protects against disk failures, it doesn't protect against viruses, ransonware, file corruption or accidental deletion. Besides, RAID introduces another point of failure - if the RAID controller freaks out and destroys the array, it's ridiculously hard to recover the data.

I use a NAS for backups and disk images (scheduled nightly), while the NAS in turn backs up to Backblaze cloud storage. So even if the house burns down or gets hit by a meteor, I still have all my crappy tracks :D

Winstontaneous, jdnz, AdvancedFollower are giving good advice, take it, or leave it (and take your chances...)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

HDDs? Backup/archival indeed. Mechanical discs are heading to 80TB per drive.
Day to day? Nvme/sdd always.

My computer uses 3 x SSDs ... I only use HDD for backups (for about 4 years now).

RAID is no substitute for backup. It only protects against disk failure. Also built-in RAID controllers in most motherboard are not real hardware RAID controllers which means that they are unreliable garbage.
No signature here!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”