Sonarworks and iZotope Ozone/Tonal Balance on the Stereo Bus where exactly?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

on my stereo bus I regularly use Ozone and Tonal Balance.
Now recently I acquired Sonarworks and I am a bit lost as to where exactly place Sonarworks on the stereo bus along with iZotope's Ozone and Tonal Balance.

Is the correct order:
1. Sonarworks - Ozone - Tonal Balance
or
2. Ozone - Sonarworks - Tonal Balance
or
3. Ozone - Tonal Balance - Sonarworks

I tend to 3 but I'd love to hear other opinions as well.

Thank you

It's not a matter of opinion if you are after the benefits that Sonarworks affords, that is calibrated monitor set up. Sonarworks should be the last process before the output to the monitors. It's purpose is to correct your monitors using a standard input compared to what your monitors reproduce. putting processing after it negates it's intended purpose and benefits. it's not an effects plugin.

Thank you.

I forgot to mention I own the headphone edition but the conclusion of your message would not change.

What just came into my mind though: When I run mastering assistant in Ozone and do EQ changes in Tonal Balance - I do all of this with Sonarworks being turned on but for the rendering I put it on bypass or eliminate it from the stereo bus.

Is my understanding correct?

Yes
Say NO to CLAP!

TheRogue wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 pm What just came into my mind though: When I run mastering assistant in Ozone and do EQ changes in Tonal Balance - I do all of this with Sonarworks being turned on but for the rendering I put it on bypass or eliminate it from the stereo bus.

Is my understanding correct?
That is correct. otherwise Sonarworks will be printed in the render and then affect the audio on all playback. since Sonarworks is "tuned" to your headphones it means everyone will get that adjustment. That's not what you want. So Sonarworks on when you are monitoring so that the audio is calibrated to your headphone. Sonarworks off when you render. Then, if someone else has Sonarworks they can put it on your track so that it plays back calibrated to THEIR system.

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 pmYes
Thank you :tu:

plexuss wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 pm That is correct.
Thank you, too

Some DAWs have a "post" output region for plugins. If yours does, that's the place for metering plugins and any listening/correction plugins that you wouldn't want to affect the render. The DAW would naturally ignore those plugins when you export the project.

I use Cubase but I am not sure such a "post" output region exists. But thanks for this hint.

TheRogue wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 am I use Cubase but I am not sure such a "post" output region exists. But thanks for this hint.
Cubase has the Control Room. When you insert Sonarworks there you'll never render it, plus it is in the last step of your monitoring.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 am Cubase has the Control Room. When you insert Sonarworks there you'll never render it, plus it is in the last step of your monitoring.
That is good to know, thanks. I'll give it a try.

dionenoid wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 am
TheRogue wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 am I use Cubase but I am not sure such a "post" output region exists. But thanks for this hint.
Cubase has the Control Room. When you insert Sonarworks there you'll never render it, plus it is in the last step of your monitoring.
that's so cool, i wish logic had that.

not for sonarworks, but for other shit i might have on

How can you hide the window of Reference 4 at startup on Mac?

Despite what Sonarworks claim below it doesn't work for me. The annoying window shows up at every system start. I want to start Reference 4.5.5 at startup but HIDDEN IN THE BACKGROUND. Is it because I'm running the trial? I tried reinstalling from scratch it still doesn't hide at startup.

https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/en-us ... ull-window

https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/en-us ... nt-Startup

Interestingly Ozone Master Assistant recommended changes to my song's EQ which made it not fit Tonal Balance Control but the EQ did fit before Ozone Master Assistant! I guess i need to be vigilant to Ozone Master Assistant's choices!

Return to “Effects”