UVI World Suite - small update, 26 Gig Download!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really wish UVI would work out a better way to handle their instrument updates, I have UVI World Suite, it was a 'single' 26 gig download, they have just updated one wave/instrument and they expect me to download the entire 26 gigs again to apply the fix!! :dog:

Seriously UVI, love Falcon, love your instruments, HATE how you update method! :borg:

(Rant off)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 pm I really wish UVI would work out a better way to handle their instrument updates, I have UVI World Suite, it was a 'single' 26 gig download, they have just updated one wave/instrument and they expect me to download the entire 26 gigs again to apply the fix!! :dog:

Seriously UVI, love Falcon, love your instruments, HATE how you update method! :borg:

(Rant off)
Be happy that it didn´t happen with Vintage Fault 3 and it´s 218 gigs... :lol: :hihi:

Trancit wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:27 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 pm I really wish UVI would work out a better way to handle their instrument updates, I have UVI World Suite, it was a 'single' 26 gig download, they have just updated one wave/instrument and they expect me to download the entire 26 gigs again to apply the fix!! :dog:

(Rant off)
Be happy that it didn´t happen with Vintage Fault 3 and it´s 218 gigs... :lol: :hihi:
I know- I down loaded it recently (well the update from VV2) - at least they are separate instruments, but a couple of them (FM, JP) are over 30 Gigs as 'single' instrument downloads!

I recently had a lot of just really small updates sat waiting in UVI Portal that needed over 380 Gigs worth of downloads to implement with an estimated downloaded of 2 days! I had just got it all done when this one came the next day!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Absolutely agree. Hey UVI, if you're reading this thread: this is exactly why I've stopped buying UVI instruments. I have Toy Suite and Digital Synsations, and I'm happy with them. But it's a 21 GB and 9 GB update respectively for very minor tweaks, which makes no sense. I just can't bring myself to spend money on more UVI products, as interested as I am, when I know it's just going to lead to my being subject to more instances of this absurd update situation.

Agree - kinda silly that such a large (and time-consuming) update process is required, to fix the most simple of changes.

using huge sample library vsti's is a painstaking way to make music.
most of the data is from audio content that cant even be distinguished
from using less, shorter looped, lower bit depth samples. this is why i like
making my own sounds with zampler. i use 1 or 2 samples interpolated between C3 and C5 and they sound fine at no more than 500kb - 1mb in a mix. when you modulate the patch with filter, pitch and amp velocity you really cant tell they arent 20gb kontakt sounds. but, go on using what you think sounds good
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm using huge sample library vsti's is a painstaking way to make music.
making my own sounds with zampler. i use 1 or 2 samples interpolated between C3 and C5 and they sound fine at no more than 500kb - 1mb in a mix. when you modulate the patch with filter, pitch and amp velocity you really cant tell they arent 20gb kontakt sounds. but, go on using what you think sounds good
Agreed.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Yeah, even if drive sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and processors get faster, and computers get crazier, a lot of these monster download instruments are really losing their luster to me. Just because the drive is getting bigger, why fill them up so much with this stuff? And, I am guilty of it myself, as I have Vintage Vault, SampleTank, etc...so my hypocrisy is exposed. .....having these instruments is nice, but it has turned into a turnoff to me now.

But, as with everything, jmho :wink:

This would not be a problem if UVI separated patch data from samples, instead of smashing it all in one single monolithic file.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 pm This would not be a problem if UVI separated patch data from samples, instead of smashing it all in one single monolithic file.
Surely they could write a patch that injects the data if they really wanted?

Also, wouldn’t it be more or less the same situation if they had to update a single sample, unless these were saved as individual files on disk?

I like the idea of a single file, but not if this is the pice we have to pay.

layzer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm using huge sample library vsti's is a painstaking way to make music.
I guess it depends on your music, like how exposed the instrument is and how many articulations you need etc. Many of the instruments in world suite are in fact relatively small. What’s so painstaking about using sample libraries? Making your own sampled instruments sounds even more painstakig imho.

Deleted

Maybe a patch would open up the doorway to the ufs format for someone to work out what's inside the 'black box' and end up with their software protection being defeated. I don't blame them one bit if that's the case. I agree it's a pain having to re-download the entire ufs to fix a tuning correction in one patch, but it is what it is and I suspect no amount of rants on here will change this.

Just my 2c :wink:

The term, for what people are asking about, is a "delta update". I can't think of any obvious reason they wouldn't employ delta updates for customer convenience.
MikeCallon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 pm Maybe a patch would open up the doorway to the ufs format for someone to work out what's inside the 'black box
Maybe, but the libraries are already iLok protected, though it may be possible that iLok is the cause of any patching difficulty.

World Suite is an 18G RAR download (not 26G). But yeah...

Return to “Instruments”