Which Chord Comes Next? - Minor Chord Progression Chart

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you know which chord you could use next? People often worry when they are writing harmony or composing a piece about which chord would follow on from which other chord. We share our very own minor chord progression chart that will help get you started in figuring out which chord you could go to next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwC0LnhNvI

Thanks and enjoy!
Music Matters - Online video courses and tuition for musicians.
www.mmcourses.co.uk

mmcourses wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm How do you know which chord you could use next?
I don’t think using charts is going to benefit anyone in furthering their knowledge of theory or composition. It will just make them reproduce the same chord progressions that have been used over and over in the past.

How do you know which chord you could use next?
I hear something amidst the stream of ideas. ‘What chord is next’ is an idea.
One would think a writer has her own.

People often worry when they are writing...
What people? You are not really prepared to *write* if you need that video for a clue. Another person on youtube attracting prey for likes, subs, $$?

my main worry when im working on music atm is, will i get anything done before the cat sits on me and makes working impossible.
and whether im disturbing the nice neighbour.

not sure any amount of study can help me :(

These are more valid than whether you have chosen the next chord in sequence correctly...

Add to mine wife or daughter demanding my attention somewhere other than my music room...

a bit paint-by-numbers, this approach

Correctness in a “minor chord progression” almost surely indicates CPP tonal, functional harmony... there tends to be a melody.
when a melody idea arrives, your correct move according to this guy’s tips like it’s your recipe may be no use. If it’s making the chord progression first, what’s the goal? What are you hearing? Should this question draw a blank, then where are we?

Model this from actual music. Take a course in part-writing, where someone who knows gives you tried-and-true progressions to write four parts for. Or get a workbook from a known source if that’s not available.

An awful lot of negativity in this thread — reflect inwards and ask yourself what in your life is contributing to the desire to crap on this guy's video. You are obviously not his target demographic. What positive, productive thing could you put your energy towards instead that would move you closer to your goals in life?

claudedefaren wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 pm An awful lot of negativity in this thread — reflect inwards and ask yourself what in your life is contributing to the desire to crap on this guy's video. You are obviously not his target demographic. What positive, productive thing could you put your energy towards instead that would move you closer to your goals in life?
For me? Helping others realize that there is more than this narrow perspective, and that music theory is much broader than one person’s monetization scheme.

claudedefaren wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 pm An awful lot of negativity in this thread — reflect inwards and ask yourself what in your life is contributing to the desire to crap on this guy's video. You are obviously not his target demographic. What positive, productive thing could you put your energy towards instead that would move you closer to your goals in life?
Well, I in fact affirmed some values... model it from music, get your own sense of ‘chord progression’ rather than look to somebody on youtube.

What did you do here to meet your aspirations? unless your goal is to be a dick and show disrespect, looks like nothing. Do you always have to see if you can make someone look bad because you didn’t agree with a point?
What is with someone who won’t address points at all but had to chime in NEGATING? I think what you did is quite out-of-line, thoughtless and the pompous shitposting arrogant and utterly fatuous.

“reflect inwards”?
https://youtu.be/wvIYlOUxMS4

The next chord is an_idea. I recommended taking a course where one gains experience using one’s own lights, where the material is applied, where you use it in fullness of a context, as well as modeling harmony from real music.

Music theory factoids as prescriptive, well...
The chord progressions in isolation are only this one guy’s notions of, one supposes normatives in minor. Why do we trust him.*
What is the meaning of bVII (if that’s his meaning) as though the same quality of option as V? Key of C (he states “harmonic”) minor: Bb D F vs G B D, hmmm...
(First of all his signs should be clear. He’s putting the flat sign after the Roman numeral FFS. All caps numerals, in minor. Ok then.)
Chances aren’t the greatest that both will deal with a melody equally.
What_is_the_idea? Can you help us with that?

Seems to me you couldn’t manage to reflect or have a thought before attacking.

Reflect a second as to what it is about you that drove you to reduce points, as though with no consideration of them whatsoever, to:
the desire to crap on this guy's video. Check your own impulses.

I simply do not think this is the way to approach this. I’ve half a century behind me in music, so *I’m not an easy mark for a con.
Who comprises his target demographic, people who receive things unquestioningly?

Lmao holy shit, I'm not reading all that, you basically proved my point with your posts.

And in fact, I agree with the sentiment that this guy's video is rubbish. It just doesn't serve anyone, least of all me, to say as much.

“mmcourses” has exactly one post here and it’s basically spam.
I ain’t monetizing shit and have given this forum the good stuff, in detail, for over a decade. Who do you think you are coming in with the personal attack? Grow the hell up.

also, how stupid is the notion that only his “target demographic” can address the content. These types are run amok. If your world looks like this, no one can say boo to something which isn’t very good or they deserve the vicious snide shit you posted, well, you’ve wandered past the gate. Get back.
claudedefaren wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 am Lmao holy shit, I'm not reading all that, you basically proved my point with your posts.

And in fact, I agree with the sentiment that this guy's video is rubbish. It just doesn't serve anyone, least of all me, to say as much.
:lol: Total self-awareness FAIL.
Who did it serve to tell a story about someone’s motivation, then*
Saying absolutely nothing about the topic. You proved that the intent was “the desire to crap on the guy’s video”? your only “point”...
That’s idiotic.

Now you’re posturing like the higher ground is yours for staying silent, even as we can all see just how much self-control you actually have.
I and Forgotten criticized something, you made a blatant attack on a person or persons, impugning their integrity for that.

(*: It looks like every person who seeks to elevate themselves by talking shit about another - pathetic.)

Holy moly. I hope whatever is troubling you in your life eases up soon. Best wishes.

claudedefaren wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:57 pm Holy moly. I hope whatever is troubling you in your life eases up soon. Best wishes.
is this about the video? Short answer, no...

edit: in fact the op hasn't been back in a week as it appears, kinda looking a little spammish anyhow...gonna just lock it and if the op wishes it unlocked he can contact me
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Music Theory”