Future of Synthesizers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

moog will become "droog".
korg will become "grok"
roland will become a kebab shop owner in london and people will ask "werent you in grange hill?".

But what about Yamaha?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm But what about Yamaha?

tron bikes.

just had a quick shuffle of the old tarot cards...

looks like at some point, moog will release an all analogue hardware emulation of diva.
and you will meet a handsome stranger who will sweep you off your feet.

mschenkel wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm I don’t think there will be radical changes in the sound generating technologies; actual technology gives us already any kind of natural and not so natural way of generating sounds: FM/PM, physical modelling, multitimbrality in the "natural" domain; granular, wavetable, subtractive, additive in the "artificial" and some exotic stuff such as mechanical synthesis.
The real challenge imo will be much more performance oriented: how can I expressively control these sound generators in a meaningful way? Right now it seems 3 dimensional keyboards are the answer such as linnstrumet, roli and touché.
That's also my view more or less.
Already today when one listens to a modern production with synths, one can't tell which sounds were made using which type of synthesis. It simply sounds modern, that's all. So, any "new" synthesis type would only add to that, but make no difference.

Modeling might become much better, but what is the goal? To emulate long established instruments. So again, no difference regarding the outcome.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:25 pm What is innovated at those institutes will hardly make it into the mainstream.
You never heard about St.Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Björk? Or the GRM tools, spat and I don’t know what?
What have those contributed to synthesis?

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:25 pm What is innovated at those institutes will hardly make it into the mainstream.
You never heard about St.Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Björk? Or the GRM tools, spat and I don’t know what?
What have those contributed to synthesis?
well they where more "examples of artists that had used things innovated in those institutes"

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm But what about Yamaha?

tron bikes.
:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

We’re already seeing a sort of post-modern approach where people are taking past classics and modern tech and throwing it all together. This will probably continue. We’ll see things like additive and physical modeling return to hardware synths. This also has already started. We’ll see it in hybrids like the Peak and Prophet 12/Pro 2/3, which have lots of ways to make use of gain overdrive and feedback. Interfaces like the Quantum’s will start showing up on less expensive instruments.

Meanwhile, the need to go with hardware for sounds will continue to shrink. I think Massive X was a bit step forward in introducing a synth that had built in distortion that was worthy. The Roland Cloud stuff is good in that way as well.

I also hope that the trend for new MPE instruments takes over and becomes the standard. Bigger companies need to take the plunge and make good affordable keyboards similar to the Osmose. Maybe even license their tech. Another way to involve the hands in expression will open things up a lot. Imagine a polyphonic hybrid from Sequential with a keyboard from Roli.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

and half man half synth cyborgs. of course.

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm and half man half synth cyborgs. of course.
Riding Tron bikes.

Of course.

goes without saying :shrug:

It'll all be subscription based. Even hardware synths you'll have to pay a license for in order for it to create sound every month. Each person will be able to have an elicencer that they must carry around that keeps all their synth licences on it and they need to plug in to each synth to get it to work.
"FriendZone"

paulm12 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:08 pm It'll all be subscription based. Even hardware synths you'll have to pay a license for in order for it to create sound every month. Each person will be able to have an elicencer that they must carry around that keeps all their synth licences on it and they need to plug in to each synth to get it to work.
which will also be needed to start the tron bike.
of course.

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 pm
korg will become "grok"
that's the past, not the future...

Return to “Instruments”