Alternative Sfz scripts for free Kontakt Librairies

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a question that probably has more to do with the legal dimension than the musical dimension, so I'm not sure if this section is suitable but I'll post it here anyway.

I use sfz format instruments a lot, a format I like because it's easy to program and it's open source.

I realize that a lot of very interesting free libraries are only available in Kontakt format (which I understand very well). However, it would be easy to make an Sfz script and add it to the library folder to be able to use it in Sfz format.

So my question is the following, do you think I have the right to propose (via my youtube channel or my blog), an sfz script made to drive a library (as primary colors palette of red room audio for example) that users could simply add in the library folder to drive it with ?

Of course this would only concern the script (I would not host any library) and it would be free, my wish is only to contribute to the usage of the Sfz format.

Thanks a lot for your help !

No legal issue, if you're not deriving from anything pre-existing (ie your sfz is fron-scratch, there's no conversion of a patch from one format to another) and not redistributing the original Kontakt library, just your sfz files.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thank you very much, that confirms what I thought.

Unfortunately after verification, it seems that most Kontakt instruments use a proprietary compression format for the samples (the ncw among others) and it is not read by Sfz players contrary to the wav.

Luckily there are still a few wav format instruments like the free Project Sam orchestra...

Thanks again for your help anyway ^^^

You can tell people to resave the patch with uncompressed samples if they are unlocked.

yellowmix wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am You can tell people to resave the patch with uncompressed samples if they are unlocked.
But then they would need to have Kontakt anyway. Which kind of defeats the purpose of making them available in sfz format in the first place.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

True, but but as it says Ben H, decompressing the ncw format requires Kontakt. The idea is to offer people who don't have Kontakt an alternative, in this case sfz. ^^

Yeah, I forgot to mention the file format might be a potential stumbling block. I guess if the libraries are being distributed free, though, you could always ask the creator for permission to convert them to .wav.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:50 am Yeah, I forgot to mention the file format might be a potential stumbling block. I guess if the libraries are being distributed free, though, you could always ask the creator for permission to convert them to .wav.
It's a good idea indeed, and I have Kontakt myself, so I could make the conversion with the author's agreement. I hadn't thought of this solution, thanks :)

Return to “Instruments”