Linnstrument - CC 64 for Sustain?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
_ttc_
KVRer
7 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi all!

I'm trying to send a sustain message (CC64) to my Linnstrument 128 from a KMI Softstep 2, and I can't get it working.

I'm in MPE mode - main channel on 1, midi over USB. Sending CC64 on channel 1 and the message is showing up on midi monitor. They are connected via a mioXM interface and routed properly there.

Should this work? Is there any "midi in" enable on the Linnstrument that I'm not aware of?

Would greatly appreciate it if any one can help shed some light on this for me! Thank you!

Roger_Linn
KVRian
1489 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Re: Linnstrument - CC 64 for Sustain?

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:54 pm

LinnStrument does not echo received MIDI messages to its MIDI output by default. If you are using the round MIDI jacks, you can enable “MIDI THRU” mode by holding the MIDI JACKS button in Global Settings. (See the Panel Settings page for details.) Unfortunately there is no MIDI THRU mode when using USB MIDI.

However, an easier way would be to send the CC64 messages not to LinnStrument but rather to your sound generator, mixed together with LinnStrument’s MIDI output, because LinnStrument isn’t doing anything with them anyway.

The easiest solution would be to buy a regular keyboard sustain pedal, which is ergonomically better for sustain use and can connect to LinnStrument’s Foot Switch jack.

_ttc_
KVRer
7 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Re: Linnstrument - CC 64 for Sustain?

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Roger! Thanks so much for the quick and clear response.

I'm attempting to be as minimal as possible with the setup for performance and travel - that's the only reason I'm not using the sustain pedal input, though if it was just staying put in the studio, that would be my preference. I need the soft step for some other hands free control duties and figured that I can likely take care of sustain duties with that.

So I will likely go your suggested route and send CC64 directly to the sound generators.

Thank you!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”