Wagtunes - 2020 RPM Challenge

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am
Music Bird wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 pm Let me guess, the 70’s one will be...(drumroll)
Disco!
I think all your tracks are pretty good!
Definitely NOT disco.
Coward! :D

Googly Smythe wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:41 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am
Music Bird wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 pm Let me guess, the 70’s one will be...(drumroll)
Disco!
I think all your tracks are pretty good!
Definitely NOT disco.
Coward! :D
Not at all. I've done disco songs.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -diva-duet

Song 10 is done. 10 songs in 10 days.

I can't believe I actually finished this in 3 days. In 4/4, 7/4 and 11/8 time and too many tempos to list.

Enjoy! Or not.

Circle Of Fifth

Round and round in circles
Through life we go this way
There is no rhyme or reason
We do this everyday

Pack a bag for dinner
Lunch you're on your own
See the path before you
See how you have grown

Instrumental Break

Come to tea
Invite all your friends
There's enough for all we'll have a ball
We'll party til the night ends

Tip the girls
Before you all go
They deserve respect oh what the heck
Appreciation we show

Take a number, we'll be right with you
You're coming up in the queue
Technical issues make it harder
And there's nothing you can do

Instrumental Break

At the end of the day
Nothing left to say
Hit the streets and be grateful for life
We all go the same way
Shades of green blue and gray
Anything to get us through the strife
And still we go in circles, circles, circles

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/circle-of-fifth

/sets up "a song a day" website for next march...

wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:45 am

You must be confusing your genres.
Thats is in no way disco, the strings are the only cliched suggestion of it.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:02 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:45 am

You must be confusing your genres.
Thats is in no way disco, the strings are the only cliched suggestion of it.
A few BPMs more and a muted funk guitar could make it count as Disco :D

Guys can we please not derail this thread anymore? I'd like at least one person to comment on the last track I posted and then we can let this thing drift off into obscurity.

Circle of Fifth. Wags goes all Prog Rock. Is this a reference to Genesis (Firth of Fifth)? Great job Wags... I love your use of odd meters and tempos. Cool piano in the break and last verse. Nice guitar for the outro. My only criticism is that the first lead synth hurts my ears on the high notes...
This is my favourite Wags track of those I have heard!
Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 pm Circle of Fifth. Wags goes all Prog Rock. Is this a reference to Genesis (Firth of Fifth)? Great job Wags... I love your use of odd meters and tempos. Cool piano in the break and last verse. Nice guitar for the outro. My only criticism is that the first lead synth hurts my ears on the high notes...
Well done!
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Yeah, I was pushing the envelope on the highs on this one but didn't go over the edge. Maybe a db less on that synth would have been better.

Allomerus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 pm Circle of Fifth. Wags goes all Prog Rock. Is this a reference to Genesis (Firth of Fifth)? Great job Wags... I love your use of odd meters and tempos. Cool piano in the break and last verse. Nice guitar for the outro. My only criticism is that the first lead synth hurts my ears on the high notes...
Well done!
Sorry, I never answered your question about the song itself.

When I set out to write it, my goal was to do a Genesis like tune but no special one in mind. In fact, the title was inspired by a video I watched on improvising to a circle of fifths starting on C minor 7. The progression is at the beginning of the song and quite complex. That was actually the hardest part of the song to do as the key essentially keeps shifting. Adding a 7/4 time signature to the part only complicated things that much more.

This song was one of the biggest challenges I'd undertaken since writing music. I'm not sure I want to do another one like this.

Anyway, right now I'm listening to "Firth Of Fifth" and there is hardly any similarity between the two songs. Not only that but Genesis blows anything I do right out of the water. Maybe when I come back in my 2nd life I'll be a fraction as good as they were.

FYI, the end of my track was a tip of the cap to "Watcher Of The Skies" as I'm sure you noticed.

Genesis is one of my top 5 bands of all time and deservedly so.

Thanks for the explanation. I agree with you about how good Genesis was!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I think this is more sparse than Genesis. It has some Genesis elements. Reminds me of Gentle Giant in the breaks for sure. It also has moments of Patrick Moraz and Rick Wakeman. The grandeur is definitely Wakeman, ha. I like the song and chord changes. Not altogether on the format but really great outing for sure!

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 am I think this is more sparse than Genesis. It has some Genesis elements. Reminds me of Gentle Giant in the breaks for sure. It also has moments of Patrick Moraz and Rick Wakeman. The grandeur is definitely Wakeman, ha. I like the song and chord changes. Not altogether on the format but really great outing for sure!
Yeah, I guess it is a bit of a mutt. I'm just glad I got the 10 songs in so I can relax.

wagtunes,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your song "Last Night With You": the piano sounds excellent, nice melody. The lyrics are sad, but well done; good vocal melodies. I like those strings a lot. The piano and strings are my favorite parts of the song. Drums sound nice. Nice song! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

wagtunes,
Thank you for the dual reviews! Now your song "Circle of Fifth": sounds very 70's; sounds like a theme song for a TV show (until the vocals start), which is not a bad thing. For a minute, I thought it was going to be an instrumental. I like the Mini Moog-like lead synth. Of course, I have heard of the circle of fifths, but I'm not an ace with music theory. Not sure what it is to be honest, though I've seen the circular pie chart thing with notes. I like this electric bass sound at ~5:00, is that real? The piano and lead guitar around 6:00 sounds very good. I agree with the other guy this sounds a bit prog with the various change-ups. Is that a "string machine" emulation at the end? I thought the song was entertaining, with its variety. Nice song again! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Return to “Music Cafe”