Jon Solo- 2020 RPM Challenge (Completed)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thejonsolo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 am Well I was really hoping to get the next track up tonight. Just a few snags...but it is close...and the good news is that the 4th and 5th songs are written. It is mostly about getting them down.

But what a great time! Hopefully have something by tomorrow afternoon.
Can't wait! I'll be working on track 9 tomorrow. I can see the finish line in the near distance. :lol:

Listened to the second one. Very Beatles vibe to me in a great way...
The harmony vocals are great!
Well done. :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:06 am That's a really good song ... reminds me a little of "Across The Universe" melodically.
Yes, it happened to me too. But it is different enough to be original, although inspired/influenced by... Good song :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Ok...without further adieu, here is my 3rd track....

It is called Ordinary Guy.

https://soundcloud.com/jonsolo/ordinary-guy

Ordinary Guy

You think that I can do no wrong
You haven’t known me very long
Do I look Superman
How can I make you understand

Maybe at first glance you might think that I’m extraordinary
Give it one more chance you will find that I’m an ordinary guy

Your look at me is so intense
As if my words made little sense
Do you think things I touch turn gold
Reality will leave you cold

One day you will see that I’m really not extraordinary
Baby its just me not your rose colored eyes

Give me one more chance I will lower all your expectations
Cause baby I’m an ordinary guy

One day you will see that I’m really not extraordinary
Baby its just me not your rose colored eyes

All the things you’ve heard are probably just exaggerations
And even things you’ve seen are born from your imagination
Cause one day you will learn that this was just infatuation
Cause baby I’m an ordinary guy

Guitar intro sounds like "Don't Fear The Reaper". Verse also sounds like Blue Oyster Cult. But then the chorus hits and we shift to Beatles. This is a real skitso song and I love it. A little bit of 60s flavor from other bands as well that I can't quite place at the moment. Something about the background vocals during the chorus.

Anyway, what can I say. You're my new musical hero.

"Ordinary Guy" is very well crafted. The vocal melody and arrangement are great.

An extraordinary song from an ordinary guy. :)

I wanted a little more energy and punch in the drums but this is a minor complaint.

3rd track, a week or so down...
yeah, thats kinda what i would expect, not 9 :lol:

look forward to listening through when we are all done :D

Awesome, I had to listen to Shed Seven - Chasing Rainbows after this.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Ordinary Guy is a top song - lovely and inventive chord changes there, and a good arrangement to boot.

With my 'producah' wanker hat on a few things - all understandable no doubt given the timescales involved.

You've got a nice voice, and the harmonies are very well done, but in parts the pitch correction on the main vocal is overdone to the point where it sounds quite artificial. Given the type of song, a bit less robotic would suit more.

Always a sucker for a 12 string, but the electric here doesn't quite flow right to me in the phrasing (programmed?) somehow. Probably just me being a 12 string nerdy tosser...

Have to agree with Frantz about the drums- love the sound of them, but a bit more punch and attitude wouldn't go amiss at the relevant louder parts.

Anyway, great song and the above are all relatively minor things overall. Good work.

In many cases, I think how good an RPM album is will be judged within the context of the challenge e.g “Really good, considering you only had a month”. However, your progress thus far hints at an album that will be really good, in it’s own right, with no such caveat. No pressure, of course ;)

‘Ordinary Guy’ is a great song. Love the chord changes and arrangement. You have a great command of the language of music, and it’s tracks like this that really reinforce my desire to learn music theory. Special award for “Give me one more chance I will lower all your expectations:tu:

Thank you all for the listens and suggestions. They are valued and WILL be implemented!

Yes, timescale is THE factor right now. I agree that I can deliver better (albeit, raw) vocals on some of these. For context and clarity, obviously I am taking shortcuts on my weakest link: my voice. That will go away when I have an album of songs under my belt for the month and I can go back and bring the polish.

Thank you all again for the encouraging words!

thejonsolo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:04 pm Thank you all for the listens and suggestions. They are valued and WILL be implemented!

Yes, timescale is THE factor right now. I agree that I can deliver better (albeit, raw) vocals on some of these. For context and clarity, obviously I am taking shortcuts on my weakest link: my voice. That will go away when I have an album of songs under my belt for the month and I can go back and bring the polish.

Thank you all again for the encouraging words!
Jon, your voice at your worst is 100 times better than my voice at its best. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Looking forward to your next track.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. 4th and 5th songs are written. The 4th is fully arranged, and is awaiting a better drop of vocals (huge challenge, lots of highs and lows), and the 5th needs the arrangement done. Tomorrow is a VERY long day, so I hope I can get a good vocal drop. I may try one more sweep on the low parts tonight, and save the highs for a fresher voice.

Or I could get to hopping on the 5th track, and be a step ahead of the 15th, ha!

Love it! Lyrics, melody, arrangment, production ...

If you revisit it (it's leap year, so you have 1 extra day), I'd say tighten up the timing of the picked guitar bits. But for now I hope you just keep going with your album quest. Looking forward to more of your inspiring (and humbling) stuff.

Well I have written a song that I cannot sing. And I am bummed. It is just too high and complex. So...I am hoping to dive deep on the other one tonight and pull something together by tomorrow.

Maybe when my throat heals a bit I can tackle it. For now, it is shoved toward the end of the month...eish. I hate to say it, but you guys would love it, at least lyrically! It will appear in some form. Hopefully before the end of the month.
Last edited by JonSolo on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”