Why you left VSTs?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Warmth?
You need to touch something?
Fan of fan noise?
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

had space on a table.

Went to AUs

Cause it was a pipe dream
:borg:

Because I finally got back to a place in life where I could once again had space for, and could afford hardware synths. TBH... I haven't 'left' VST/AUs.. I was giving them a rest.

I wouldn't say I have left them completely, but I have definitely stopped spending good money on them.

I guess, at least in part, the reason for this is the frustration of not always knowing that they are going to continue to work after buying them (an in all fairness, the vast majority do continue to work fine). But examples such as refx, camel audio, and Linplug who just pull the pin on products altogether, developers who change the playing field in their licensing/authorisation/anti-piracy methods such as Kelliworth, refx (again), Disco DSP, the increasing trend towards subscription models (Netflix and Spotify are enough) AND all of the above, it just tends to be a less and less inviting prospect to spend my money on.

On the other hand, whilst there are a few cases of needed repairs, my hardware instruments have continued to work without issue exactly as intended for decades...I guess I am a bit of a fossil and something of a ludite, but I really appreciate things that at most, require to push an "on" button to make them work.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the never ending battle to keep things compatible with OS upgrades.

Guess I just enjoy playing instruments. I still use Reaktor and Aalto, but at some point they will be replaced with hardware as well.

using hardware is very much like making love to a beautiful woman but the occasional "cyber sex" session can be fun too.

TheMaestro wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 pm Fan of fan noise?
There actually have been a few times when I've attached a contact mic to a desk fan, or sampled a laptop fan with a portable recorder.

Anyway...

Early in 2016 my MIDI controller died, and on a whim I bought a Microbrute to replace it -- both as MIDI controller and for its own synth sounds. I fell in love with it. I tried a few desktop synths and eBay finds and nothing else really grabbed me.

Then in October was Luftrum's charity auction, and Mutable Instruments donated some Eurorack modules. I started looking into that, and wound up winning a module and buying two others "to expand the Microbrute." I discovered I really liked working with Eurorack because it's a very wide open, anything-goes sort of world compared to the relative restrictions of MIDI and VST instruments and the types of synthesis represented there.

Last year I added a Lyra-8, which is another awesome, hands-on instrument that is like nothing that exists in software.

LOL @ plugins not being “wide open”, a la modular.

Just need the right plugins, frankly, and unless you simply prefer the feel/sound of specific hardware, you’re sorted.

kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 am LOL @ plugins not being “wide open”, a la modular.
Spoken like someone who hasn't used hardware modular and isn't really aware of what's out there. Like I wasn't until I did it.

I'm not talking about the modular and modular-ish plugins that arrived on the scene in the last couple of years as a reaction to the rise of Eurorack; nor am I talking about stuff people build in Max etc. But even Softube or VCV aren't quite up to the real thing.

I quit using hardware years ago because I got tired of not being allowed to re-sell it or having to pay exorbitant license transfer fees to do so. And hardware is just to easy to move around and setup. I need to get my exercize in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 am
kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 am LOL @ plugins not being “wide open”, a la modular.
Spoken like someone who hasn't used hardware modular and isn't really aware of what's out there. Like I wasn't until I did it.

I'm not talking about the modular and modular-ish plugins that arrived on the scene in the last couple of years as a reaction to the rise of Eurorack; nor am I talking about stuff people build in Max etc. But even Softube or VCV aren't quite up to the real thing.
Wrong. I have a Eurorack setup, ever-expanding. I also have a lot of VSTs that are equally “out there” and capable.

There's plenty of space for both hardware and plugins. No reason whatsoever to leave VSTs.

kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:21 am
foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 am

Wrong. I have a Eurorack setup, ever-expanding. I also have a lot of VSTs that are equally “out there” and capable.
+1

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”