Harley Benton Prototypes vid

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Somehow Harley Benton didn't convince me in the looks department - until I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYhVp6LjpE

Featuring:
- a flat top headless (1:14), and an arch top one (2:27)
- lots of Fusion Telecaster-style guitars
- Explorer types (6:57)
- a "Ragnarok series" guitar that looks a lot like my Chapman ML1 Modern Pro (10:29)
- baritone (11:10)
- a stunning signature single cut (11:40)

I would be astonished if any of their guitars sounded even okay, to be honest. But yeah, some look more or less fine, I guess.

No new Harley Benton 14" purple vibrators though, and when I recently boasted about my having bought a second hand Harley Benton 14" purple vibrator, I was told plugins are better :shrug:
vurt wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 pm i can use a code that every time cptgone says "pedal" it gets changed to "14" purple vibrator" :)

yay it works.

they do some nice guitars for people on a budget starting out.
or if you like modding, nice cheap body to get to work on.
or for industrial noise, no one is drilling 2 grand guitsrs :o

kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am I would be astonished if any of their guitars sounded even okay, to be honest. But yeah, some look more or less fine, I guess.
I don't have my doubts now guitars can be made with precision and accuracy, meaning better quality control. Make a good guitar and use that as template (CNC). £61 - £144 for a S-type guitar.
https://youtu.be/Kag0OgTIqCI
Last edited by The Noodlist on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am I would be astonished if any of their guitars sounded even okay, to be honest. But yeah, some look more or less fine, I guess.
Brands like HB, Gear4Music etc do decent guitars for reasonable money these days. Much, much better than the shite us old timers learned on in the bad old days. If you can't get a decent sound from them I would respectfully suggest the fault lies elsewhere... :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm
Brands like HB, Gear4Music etc do decent guitars for reasonable money these days. Much, much better than the shite us old timers learned on in the bad old days. If you can't get a decent sound from them I would respectfully suggest the fault lies elsewhere... :hihi:
the amp?

vurt wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm
the amp?
The amount of ale imbibed?

It seems to be common wisdom that they rule their price bracket, but have little resale value at the moment.
I rarely see them for sale second hand (which of course might be a good thing).

cptgone wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 pm It seems to be common wisdom that they rule their price bracket, but have little resale value at the moment.
I rarely see them for sale (which of course might be a good thing).
screw resale value.

weve got you a gig, in liverpool :scared:

cool, harley benton into behringer rig it is.

Haha, yeah I’m an old timer too I guess.

Fair enough then, I’ve been schooled. Not that it’ll ever be relevant to me personally, but hey, if anyone asks, I might not just automatically crap all over the HB brand name. ;)

And anyway, to be fair, I started with a PoS superstrat, and learned just fine with it. So eh.

kvotchin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:53 am PoS superstrat, and learned just fine with it. So eh.
Hehe, just made me think, there was nothing 'super', about the strat copy I started with (in 1982..), except it was very good at feedback and going out of tune I recall... :oops:

The HB 12 string electric that I had was not bad after a proper setup. I found it too shrill, but that was before I tried flatwounds on it, and sold it.

I would probably try one of their all solid acoustics, if I had a limited budget. I assume QC is not great.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

They're not going to put a lot of resources into a budget guitar QC, it's not expected. I've heard bad things about Gibson, here on KVR.
https://youtu.be/cB65BSdVtKA
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

In that vid Thomann's guy says they don't check big brand guitars - my Gibson's box was sealed with a Thomann sticker, stating it had been opened for a check-up (sadly the guitar doesn't look like the Thomann pic that seduced me).

Return to “Guitars”