it's contaminated.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mike patton fan?

fun stuff 8)

Well, that was different. It's just too chaotic even for me. That's about all I got.

Cool :tu:

vurt wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm mike patton fan?

fun stuff 8)
oh man, i am a huge mike patton fan. haha.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm Well, that was different. It's just too chaotic even for me. That's about all I got.
wags....100% don't expect people to enjoy most of my stuff, thanks for listening.
i'm actually curious...even though you weren't feeling the noise, i'd really like some feedback on the mix. were there still some clipping issues or f'd up abrasiveness that i didn't intend?

Interesting stuff, the drums and synth sounds seemed to mix well, but the recorded stuff sounded harsh (especially the guitars). I know it's the intended effect but I think maybe it could be EQ'd a bit.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 pm Interesting stuff, the drums and synth sounds seemed to mix well, but the recorded stuff sounded harsh (especially the guitars). I know it's the intended effect but I think maybe it could be EQ'd a bit.
thanks for the feedback vort3x! still trying to figure out this whole mixing ordeal. ha. was trying to quell some of the harshness, but ya know, learning process. i like to think of my shite in the same vein as a sketch on paper at this point.

My first few mixes were kind of like that, I"m definitely no pro myself :lol:

I just know it's good to tame those nasty untamed resonant sounds unless of course they are intended, because they will build up in a mix and f**k it up.

Not sure what DAW you use, but lots of them ship with decent parametric Equalizers which you can use to shape the sounds.

Another thing you can do is use saturation plugins to "smear" the harsh edges off some sounds.
:borg:

r1381 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:22 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm Well, that was different. It's just too chaotic even for me. That's about all I got.
wags....100% don't expect people to enjoy most of my stuff, thanks for listening.
i'm actually curious...even though you weren't feeling the noise, i'd really like some feedback on the mix. were there still some clipping issues or f'd up abrasiveness that i didn't intend?
Honestly, I was too distracted by the chaos to notice the mix. I'll give it another listen and see if something sticks out, though it may be difficult to pinpoint if I'm too scattered while listening. I have a hard enough time evaluating mixes for "normal" songs.

Okay, gave it another listen. Some of it (I guess mostly the guitars) is really harsh, but given the nature of what you're going for, that may not matter so much. Without putting this through a spectral analyzer (you didn't enable downloads) I can't tell if any frequencies are really sticking out. But I'd say, just to be safe, take an EQ at 5K and above and maybe knock off 1 or 2 db.

I think maybe pull the volume down a bit on the guitars ... the distorted scream too. Nothing else wrong with the mix tho' ,,, sounds good on my Genelecs. :)

thanks for the feedback vortex, wags, and controlcentre! upon further listening, i agree that the guitar parts are rather abrasive...i think i always knew they were, but i wasn't sure how to control them. tweaked a bit with an lpf and limiter, but i probably didn't know what i was doing.

r1381 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 pm

fun stuff 8)
tbf he is pretty cool :tu:
theres a definite fantomas influence in the tracks ive heard. look forward to more 8)

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:21 pm
r1381 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 pm

fun stuff 8)
tbf he is pretty cool :tu:
theres a definite fantomas influence in the tracks ive heard. look forward to more 8)
patton is just great.
aside from bungle, when fantomas came out in...99(?)...it really made me appreciate noise in general. ha. well, that and mushrooms.

Return to “Music Cafe”