E-mu Emulator X3 sounds fantastic!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emulator X

planetearth wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:44 am
robotmonkey wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:31 am The old E-MU Sound Central libraries are the real thing. These are exactly the same as the sounds in Proteus modules.
And someone just shared a boatload of them in his Google Drive account. Read about it here, if you're interested: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... stcount=16

He'll be re-organizing the folders in the "Sample Library" folder (and in other folders) and adding more stuff in the coming weeks, he said. But for now, there's a LOT of Emulator I, II and III samples, as well as Emulator X3 libraries and some Emax stuff...among tons of Akai samples.

Steve
Those are the real deal indeed. I have all those. There's some stuff missing still. Like the Rob Papen programmed Techno Synth Construction Yard and another one whose name I can't remember. And of course, the sample libraries that were released (Symphonic Orchestra, three part Vinage Pro, Old World Instruments and couple others). But all the original Proteus sounds are there, so that's good.
No signature here!

don't overestimate the importance of any one "plugin" or collection for art.

that said, i do really admire this X3. I can see why dudes are hyping it. it's legit. frankly, it's EMU and Ensoniq (not that I'm well educated as to their history) that are responsible for the interesting nature of this stuff. the samples themselves are simply great. not all of it.

I've owned Battery since it was released and X3 and these supposedly "cruddy" kits are already really good sounding to me. I don't know why.

Kontakt just doesn't feel musical to me at all. It never has, and it never will. Frankly I think it's horrid.

Though I did make this part at 1:20 with it, proudly: https://corncat.bandcamp.com/track/destiche

X3, despite being ugly, even hideous, is already more fun to play with.

A cool thing about X3 (among many cool things) is the voice processing templates that come with it. Select a preset, select "Voice Processing", select "Fn Gen1" (e.g.), right-click somewhere the panel, and you'll see a context menu with a bunch of templated presets that you can apply - e.g. "Pentatonic 1" . Every section in voice processing has the ability to apply/create/organize templates specific to that section.

mxbf wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:28 am Kontakt just doesn't feel musical to me at all. It never has, and it never will. Frankly I think it's horrid.

hmmm, seems psychosomatic to me.

How does something feel "musical"?? Don't get me wrong, some Kontakt libraries are not very inspiring at all...but some are fantastic. And Kontakts engine is way, WAY more powerful than X3 ever could be. Not that I didn't love X3, I did...but it's just way too long in the tooth now and needs an update, which will never happen. It's unusable in my current rig.

Kontakt is only as good as the person behind it doing the scripting....

EDIT: random sidenote - I also noticed you mentioned Samplelord for soundfonts...I use this for .sf2 as it's one of the only programs that can load them correctly and offers a fair level of tweakability. :party: :party:

You're right that Kontakt is powerful and good software. I overstated that. I guess for some reason I just don't really like it. It's probably irrational. I don't really like the workflow of it and I dislike the look of it.

mxbf wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm You're right that Kontakt is powerful and good software. I overstated that. I guess for some reason I just don't really like it. It's probably irrational. I don't really like the workflow of it and I dislike the look of it.
I think it's correct. Even though Emulator X3 has kind of too small and fiddly interface by today's standards, it's absolutely brilliant and super well thought out when it comes to workflow.
No signature here!

Emulator X3 has one of the best beat detection algorithms for chopping samples as well. I've used it for years now. 😉
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

What about the new DSF NI Proteus Rack?
It claims to be closer to the original Proteus than the older DSF Release.

E-Mu X3 works "fine" (although the GUI is really outdated) but some sounds are different.

The proteus vx does not work well in win7 and up though

trusampler wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm Emulator X3 has one of the best beat detection algorithms for chopping samples as well. I've used it for years now. 😉
came here to mention that.

Twistaloop is phenomenal. don't pass it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utMz0UxkDNg

Takes a bit to learn because Emulator X3 is a bit... weird...
but once you get used to it it's very powerful.

I used the Twistaloop advice from the manual to create the breaks and filter modulation that comes in halfway through this track.

I think it's pretty cool

https://maxbiancofrecka.bandcamp.com/track/respeccc

Authorisation is broken in latest version of Windows 11.

Get a fail when contacting the server.

Smasha wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:00 am Authorisation is broken in latest version of Windows 11.

Get a fail when contacting the server.
Now that the authorisation server is down there is a community MOD on the not so dark corners of the web that allows you to authorize.

Hmm,yes there is!

tactile_coast wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 am Now that the authorisation server is down there is a community MOD...
Give me a clue where to look? My googling skills are coming up short. My fear for a while now is that a motherboard upgrade and reinstall will render my X3 (and all my expansions) DOA.

Return to “Instruments”