Trying to find a nice muted trumpet sound

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
reds91
KVRist
35 posts since 26 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Similar to the one in this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FjGnvPryx8

You can hear it at 1:40 and at other times throughout the track. Any ideas what vsts might come close?

LeVzi
KVRAF
2232 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 pm

There maybe a sample pack for the likes of Kontakt, Halion or Sampletank, but you won't really find a VST intstrument that does trumpets too good, but there are some nice soundfonts about that would do it.
Forward ever, Backward never

reds91
KVRist
35 posts since 26 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:39 pm

LeVzi wrote:There maybe a sample pack for the likes of Kontakt, Halion or Sampletank, but you won't really find a VST intstrument that does trumpets too good, but there are some nice soundfonts about that would do it.
Thanks, any specific soundfonts you can recommend?

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
13753 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Arturia Brass?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

kbaccki
KVRAF
2444 posts since 12 Sep, 2004

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 pm

A good cheap, VSTi solution could be GSi Milestone... http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=25

For what it is and the price, it's suprisingly good. Also good for approximating trombone, if you need one. :hihi: Milestone has a muted filter mode that, while it isn't my favorite, may be of use to you in the right setting (read: w/ a nice washy, distant verb, like in that youtube track).

Other than that, you're looking at something like Chris Hein Vol. 3 (muted) instruments, which you can get in subsets via soundsondemand.com... or the whole dealio if you have the spare cash and think you might need more than just trumpets... http://www.soundsondemand.com/sort1.asp ... is_hein/en

Samplemodelling might have the best sample-based trumpet, performance-wise... http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/demos_trumpet.php

Both CHH and samplemodelling products are Konakt-based, but if you just need a couple of drops and tasy licks, I would find a loopset that gives you just what you want.

Or something like Ueberschall Liquid Trumpet, which is a trumpet loopset on steroids.... powered by Celemony Melodyne. Not exactly a cheap route, but
looks like they sell the product in smaller chunks online... https://www.ueberschall.com/en/core/ueb ... ail$002f53

There's also Wallander's WIVI band, which is a decent price for what you get... a small sampling of the larger WIVI brass/woodwind collection (not cheap!), but for your purposes looks like it contains trumpet with multiple mute types. The WIVI stuff is partly samples, but mostly modelled/synthetic, and I can attest to the quality... low CPU and memory footprint as well, compared to some other realtime performance solutions... http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/?mo ... ts&lang=en

My guess is that you would be best served with a decent sraightahead loopset (i.e., just WAV files) rather than a full blown Kontakt/Wivi/Ueberschall solution, assuming you're just looking for supporting material and not looking to do full-blown solos and complex phrases... for that you should go with Samplemodelling, CHH, Wivi, etc. (or Milestone :) )...

Here's some freebies to get you started... http://audio.tutsplus.com/freebies/loop ... oops-in-c/

:)

jancivil
KVRAF
19406 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Warp IV has fantastic muted trumpet, all manner of mutes, and the feature a wonderfully usuable legato for performance. it puts most of the stuff mentioned here to shame. Wivi doesn't even apply to the question, that's not jazz horn. When I was shopping for jazz brass and winds, I heard the Hein demos, may as well be a synth, Arturia, worse still. Samplemodeling The Trumpet I owned for a time but for me, Warp IV obviated it fully and I sold it.

Warp IV makes versions for Kontakt, EXS and Refills.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

kelvyn
KVRian
1093 posts since 9 Mar, 2008 from netherlands

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 pm

+1 Sample modeling 'The Trumpet'.

kbaccki
KVRAF
2444 posts since 12 Sep, 2004

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:22 am

jancivil wrote:Wivi doesn't even apply to the question, that's not jazz horn.
Not sure why you think OP needs a "jazz horn". Didn't say anything about jazz, just a capable muted trumpet. Wivi is more than capable of muted trumpet. Plus to get the muted trumpet from Warp IV you need the "pro" version, which is $350 for the one instrument. Plus the cost of Kontakt, if that's your sampler of choice. Those libs sound great, but that solution sounds like overkill for somebody just looking for some decent muted trumpet phrases. As I said, my guess is a nice phrase/loop library is the best bet, but what do I know, maybe OP is looking for the best possible sampled/modelled/synthesized trumpet after all. :shrug:

BJ
KVRist
138 posts since 6 May, 2004 from Netherlands

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:23 am

There's a really nice Miles style muted trumpet in Halion Sonic (and thus Halion 4 as well)
Vizzelism

jancivil
KVRAF
19406 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 am

kbaccki wrote:
jancivil wrote:Wivi doesn't even apply to the question, that's not jazz horn.
Not sure why you think OP needs a "jazz horn". Didn't say anything about jazz, just a capable muted trumpet.... $350 for the one instrument
the OP didn't say anything really at all, but posted an example we can hear, and I based my reply on that.

one instrument?:

that actual .nki list is beyond scroll-worthy.
But, you're probably right, the OP is more likely to want to stick some loop shit on there and call it a day. But for the world, Warp IV owns these other suggestions IME.

Sample Modeling's approach is for power users, any way you look at it.

Could be that the Halion is the sweet spot for a lot of people, but I haven't heard it. I slways see the automatic 'Chris Hein!', and nobody seems to know about Steinman's Warp IV and he's been good to me.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

sorohanro
KVRian
1233 posts since 29 Dec, 2008 from Lithuania

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 am

1 - The Kontakt Player have a quite decent muted trumpet in the Factory Selection library. Price = FREE
2 - You might want to try my muted trumpets, available as Mu.Lab Multisampla format and Yellow Tools Independence 2.5 format. Price = FREE
Download Mu.Lab Multisampla format
Download Yellow Tools Independence 2.5 format
3 - You can make a MIDI file and send to a real trumpet player (me, by example). In terms of realism it's unbeatable :hihi: Price = we can bargain over PM.

surfint
KVRer
1 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Re: Trying to find a nice muted trumpet sound

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 pm

Sample Modeling - The Trumpet 3

Forgotten
KVRAF
8591 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm

surfint wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 pm
Erm...you're answering a question that was asked 9 years ago...

e-crooner
KVRian
1099 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm
surfint wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 pm
Erm...you're answering a question that was asked 9 years ago...
And it's his or her first post, strange :)

I wonder what the song was, the video is no longer available.

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2682 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Albion

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Assuming anyone looking at this thread is interested in a muted trumpet...
I'd recommend EastWest/QuantumLeap's 25th Anniversary Brass. $50 at the moment. I think it may have been first released round about when this thread was started...
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

Return to “Instruments”