Why you left VSTs?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Russell Grand wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:08 am
vurt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:21 pm using hardware is very much like making love to a beautiful woman but the occasional "cyber sex" session can be fun too.
Decent analogy. :tu:
Really? For whom? It just makes me wonder about the kind of sex people are having when they analogize sex and synths or women and cars, or whatever :lol:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm Or very soon - even worse - coming to a road near you - boring electric cars versus the wonderful internal combustion engine.
You, sir, can keep your polluting, noisy, vibrating monstrosities to yourself!!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

johnwoo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 am I still use computer and VST , but my main source for music is my Korg M3 with Radias expansion, my Yamaha EX7 and my old good friend , Korg Triton Rack with MOSS board . The Karma from M3 combined with the strange sound from Radias ( combination from Analog , FM and Digital sounds) , give me the craziest rhythmic sound and it not an arp, it a complex , evolving arp , Yamaha comes with with nice textures , and Korg Triton finish things with some good sounds from MOSS board . I record everything on computer , naturally , and if need it I insert some vst to enrich the sound.
What kind of stuff are you making with your Korg M3+Radias?

I have an M3 module (no keyboard) with the EXP-Radias. I bought it because I thought KARMA would be a creativity tool. A place to start.

I don’t use it much, mostly because it pissed me off needing to repair the touch screen (Korg should’ve had a class-action against them for that), the sounds don’t inspire me, and I don’t like that the performance of various patch parameters requires the missing keyboard (switch 1 & 2, and the ribbon), and mapping them to my own controls is extra effort just to play with the factory sounds.

I’ve used the pad chord feature a few times, since I’m not much for actually composing with chords, and I used KARMA a few times...

... but the overall experience is like I’m working with a less-capable PC, peering into it via a tiny low-resolution display, operating it at a great distance via a clunky GUI with a lousy touch panel. I already find computers clunky to work with when what I really want is hands-on controls. One control per parameter. MIDI controllers aren’t doing it for me either.

I’m curious to know what others do with their M3.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I left VST because I left my PC behind, moved to Mac OS, Logic only uses AudioUnits, and I didn’t like other DAWs I tried which do use VST.

Actually, I moved much of my PC-only VST collection to my Receptor. I don’t think I’ve ever recorded a bit of audio from it though. It sat unused when the PSU died. I eventually did a hackish replacement, and finished loading my VST collection to it. Still haven’t actually used it for music. I mostly hate it. Same reasons I left Windows, really. Funny thing is, I still need a Windows machine (or older Mac OS) around to manage the Receptor. What a pointless setup.

But your trolling question is really asking “why did you stop using software synths and move to hardware”. I haven’t. I have some hardware but I’ve never felt any flow with it. It’s all pretty much the same as working with a computer (digital controls, menu diving), except there’s no instant recall when loading projects on the computer (well, there is supposed to be with the Virus TI, but I find it utterly unreliable).

Ultimately, I do want some different hardware to play with. The key word is “play”. I’m looking for something new and fun to explore that is hands-on. I want per-parameter dedicated controls. I want to experience analog feedback, distortion, control (none of this 8-bit-or-less MIDI stepping), and at least some semi-modular stuff...

...but I’m put off by cost (the plan is three Behringer semi-modular synths, but that’s still more money than I have in a year... plus cables)...

...and I really do like the instant recall of plugins!!

But any money spent on an analog setup would be an additional musical playground, not a replacement for my existing Logic/DAW setup. Plugins have been great overall.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

VSTs are decisive in modern music making for me, ain't leaving those puppies behind.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

johnwoo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 am I still use computer and VST , but my main source for music is my Korg M3 with Radias expansion, my Yamaha EX7 and my old good friend , Korg Triton Rack with MOSS board . The Karma from M3 combined with the strange sound from Radias ( combination from Analog , FM and Digital sounds) , give me the craziest rhythmic sound and it not an arp, it a complex , evolving arp , Yamaha comes with with nice textures , and Korg Triton finish things with some good sounds from MOSS board . I record everything on computer , naturally , and if need it I insert some vst to enrich the sound.
I am a former owner of the Korg M3 and I absolutely loved it! It was the perfect low cost hardware alternative to a PC DAW.Sadly though...it was a very under-powered keyboard in terms of processing power and memory and the Xpansion USB stick that was included with my purchase,overwhelmed my M3 and it crashed the OS.Also...the boot-up time was awful...so I ended up selling it.
I know have a Krome EX and I am content with it,but I desperately want Korg to reissue n M3(I mean...Korg recently reissued the their old i3 workstation,so WTF not bring back the M3??)

There's the Krome EX(entry level) and the Kronos(flagship)...but no mid-range level workstation...does not make any sense whatsoever.

I left some VSTs because there's not enough SSD in my DAW to hold them all, or money in my bank account to buy them all.

Will be back eventually to pick the left-behind ones, soon as I win the lottery (I don't play, which reduces the odds of winning by about 1/1,000,000,000,000%).

I’ve definitely found myself trending more towards hardware in the last coupe of years. I guess I find it more enjoyable at the end of a long day to sit down and interact with a physical object. I haven’t had space for any kind of studio setup in several years, so I just pull out a keyboard or a few boxes to tinker with, and then pack them all away when I’m done. The computer still gets involved when it comes time to record, and I’m not at all opposed to using virtual instruments... I just don’t find myself using them very often these day. And when I do turn to software, it’s usually something specific to integrate with an expressive controller, such as pairing Linnstrument with Audiomodeling instruments or using Respiro with a breath controller.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

the doctor gave me antibiotics.

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 pm the doctor gave me antibiotics.
:hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 pm the doctor gave me antibiotics.
Those are for STP, sillybilly. You aren't into stock car racing, are you?

AlesisVi61 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 pm
I am a former owner of the Korg M3 and I absolutely loved it! It was the perfect low cost hardware alternative to a PC DAW.Sadly though...it was a very under-powered keyboard in terms of processing power and memory and the Xpansion USB stick that was included with my purchase,overwhelmed my M3 and it crashed the OS.Also...the boot-up time was awful...so I ended up selling it.
I know have a Krome EX and I am content with it,but I desperately want Korg to reissue n M3(I mean...Korg recently reissued the their old i3 workstation,so WTF not bring back the M3??)

There's the Krome EX(entry level) and the Kronos(flagship)...but no mid-range level workstation...does not make any sense whatsoever.
Back at the end of the 80's and into the 90's I had an M1 and a Roland D50, Sold them both. Moved away from Roland all together by the end of the 90's. Actually just got more into guitar playing.

I too have Krome (but not EX) the biggest difference between the two is memory space. You can get sound packs for Krome. Many people sample the audio and recreate the original sound along with Combi's

The more I mess with the internal sounds to create my own combi's the less fond I am of the old stuff. Mostly it has to do with.. oversampling. Krome has higher quality samples for the sounds with more samples for velocity and s1, s2 button options. I've decided I want to build new combi's based on the old ones but using the new sounds (velocity sensitivity)

I've also fallen away from vst's in general. It's easier for me to find a "bread and butter" sound or combi in Krome than sifting through my vst collection.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 am
dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm Or very soon - even worse - coming to a road near you - boring electric cars versus the wonderful internal combustion engine.
I was of course talking tongue in cheek and looking backward from well into the future and reminiscing about the "good old days".

The analogy is VSTs = electric cars, and hardware = old steam trains and combustion motors.

A good dose of rosy glow helps in enjoying the old stuff.

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 am
I was of course talking tongue in cheek and looking backward from well into the future and reminiscing about the "good old days".

The analogy is VSTs = electric cars, and hardware = old steam trains and combustion motors.

A good dose of rosy glow helps in enjoying the old stuff.
Tongue was planted firmly in cheek for my comment as well ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”