The Future of the Past Part 2: That Girl in Maida Vale

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
pethu
KVRian
1222 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 am

https://soundcloud.com/user1333790/that ... maida-vale

A homage to Delia Derbyshire. (As with most of my pieces, "google my inspiration" if necessary.)

The following samples from freesound.org were used, credit goes to the creators:

80289__hyderpotter__hourlychimebeg
93735__milo__london-traffic
496306__zaziesound__water-drops-1
1021__rhumphries__rbh-household-glass-clink

How to create something to gel with the spirit of the 50s-to-60s pre-synth, pre-sampler and pre-multitrack recording era wasn't imminently obvious. But I did what they did in the BBC Radiophonic Workshop back then: Redorded samples of any and all objects they could get their hand on and hoped for something interesting to happen!

The starting point of the whole piece is a sample I produced by striking a metal valet stand, which produced a synth-like metallic "blip" followed by a very long tail that sounds very much like a synthetic choir. (Other interesting synth choir sounds are from Hideaway Studios "The Pentodian Choir". The manual states that "At least 50% of the samples in this collection were created using little more than a handful of discrete circuits and vintage lab gear all processed with vintage classic analog and tube technology", which sounds like they would not have been out of place in the Workshop.)

Where the "modern chamber orchestra" elements came from I still have no idea -- only that they somehow seemed logic and obvious? After all, Delia was much more an avant-garde classic composer than a rock'n'roll gal!
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Death Row Archie
KVRer
28 posts since 17 Feb, 2020

Re: The Future of the Past Part 2: That Girl in Maida Vale

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Acoustic bass? That's cool. Nice atmosphere. I don't listen to much music w/o drums/percussion TBH, so this is a bit out of my wheel house. Reminds of modern classical. Has a cinematic quality. I like the string melody. I think the addition of a more impactful element that stands out would have been nice, but if you're going for that filmic quality it succeeds.

I'll be posting some of my music soon.

pethu
KVRian
1222 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Re: The Future of the Past Part 2: That Girl in Maida Vale

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:29 am

Death Row Archie wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm
Acoustic bass? That's cool. Nice atmosphere. I don't listen to much music w/o drums/percussion TBH, so this is a bit out of my wheel house. Reminds of modern classical. Has a cinematic quality. I like the string melody. I think the addition of a more impactful element that stands out would have been nice, but if you're going for that filmic quality it succeeds.

I'll be posting some of my music soon.
Hi, thanks for listening!

I think you got my intentions perfectly there... TV and radio audio effects and musical scores were what the BBC Radiophonic Workshop was all about, so I tried to steer myself that way. Glad it seems to have worked then! :tu:

(The lack of drums is a part of that "emulation": The sequenced bassline in triplets I use in this one is a throwback to Delia's most famous recording, the original Doctor Who theme. There are no drums there either, just a bassline using triplets...)
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Return to “Music Cafe”