RME or Motu Audio Interface for upgrade?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all, was hoping I can get some feedback from people who still currently use and have used either RME or Motu audio interfaces. Preferably on a Windows platform since I am on one. I am currently with a PreSonus 1810c and not complaining but I hope to upgrade to something more upper level. But with expensive gear it is a little bit of a risk unless you get some feedback first.
I usually have 20+ tracks with VST on my projects and around 10 audio ones on which I record live instruments ranging from guitars/pianos to violins drums or random sounds for custom SFX.
I am looking to decrease my current latency which is 15/12 ms with Asio Guard on Low and a 512 buffer. I know upgrading my PC can let me go to a 256 buffer but I have also heard that driver wise Mout and RME do not have a second one to compare too. Also I wanted to know how their older PCI compare to their newer USB devices? Is it worth getting an older PCI card or should I buy one of the USB ones? Hope to get some nice feedback and please, do not let the discussion become an argument of whether Motu or RME is better or something else, lets keep it to the point ^^

I have very good experience with MOTU AVB ultralite, you can connect it via USB or LAN, latency is extremely low.
I also had a ultralite firewire, but MOTU stopped Support so i couldn‘t get the driver for the recent Mac OS.
If you buy an older device second hand, check compatibility first.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

RME; without doubts. And you have the choice: old pci, pcie, usb. All supported currently.
You can also add a one or more converters of your choice. And drivers? They are the best ever done.
Hope will helps
Luciano

newluc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:18 am RME; without doubts. And you have the choice: old pci, pcie, usb. All supported currently.
You can also add a one or more converters of your choice. And drivers? They are the best ever done.
Hope will helps
Luciano
Since I have not used a converter before is it better to get Babyface with a Converter or rather just go for UFX II?

The UFX II also can host a converter, if you once want to expand your setup you can add not one but two adat converters to add 16 i/o channels

newluc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:33 am The UFX II also can host a converter, if you once want to expand your setup you can add not one but two adat converters to add 16 i/o channels
Luciano thanks! I do not think I will need the converter if I get the UFX II, rather if I get the the smaller newer ones, although I have not checked what connections they have so I might not need a converter and can simply use one of my mixers combined with em? Do you currently use and RME and which one?

If you go into the card with the source you avoid the mixer noise, and yes i have three rme cards: a babyface, a pci hdsp and a raydat with presonus dp88 converters

newluc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:07 am If you go into the card with the source you avoid the mixer noise, and yes i have three rme cards: a babyface, a pci hdsp and a raydat with presonus dp88 converters
In that case how would you advise me I go about if I get the babyface pro fs, should I get a dp88 converter to link with it or?
I usually have at least the following connected:
2 x MIC for vocals ( 48v)
2 x Guitars
5 x MICS for anything ranging from drums to other acoustic instruments

Thanks for the assistance ^^

I Would say yes so you have spare inputs for others

I'll have to add more praise for RME. Bought BabyFace Pro FS recently and that card is just golden. Everything people say about these drivers is true. Rock solid and with a bunchload of awesome features.
And also their stuff, though it's not particularly pretty to look at, is built like a tank. You could actually hurt someone if you hit them with an RME card. 😁
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

FarleyCZ wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am Everything people say about these drivers is true. Rock solid and with a bunchload of awesome features.
Not on Windows 10... unfortunately (check their forums, many people have various problems).
Seriously, their products are overpriced. You get something with the same specs of a product that costs like 1/3 of what you paid for and the driver can suck on Win10 (similar experience to what you get with other manufacturers; so, Windows audio is still a gamble whether you will get malfunctioning drivers).

Yeah, but it is nor RME’s fault, sadly windows have a primary role in this thing.

And no, their product are’t overpriced. Every penny.

I think MOTU is only considered an “upgrade” if you are coming from a Soundblaster16.

+1 for RME.
My fireface400 and fireface800 still work flawlessly- even on macOS catalina (and have since release day).
My next Interface is RME 100%, most likely UFX+

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”