Waves' new/old subscription model

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
krabbencutter
KVRian
577 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:36 am

https://youtu.be/IZehgyG1a1A

Why rent the Gold bundle for a year, when you can buy it outright for less? No idea, but they call it 'Waves Music Maker Access' now

https://www.waves.com/subscriptions
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

HcDoom
KVRian
1174 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Re: Waves' new/old subscription model

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 am

They offer 20 years old plugins in a subscription model now? And if you want anything newer you have to take extra custom bundle on top of of the old plugins? :/ Weird decision!

lwj
KVRist
352 posts since 3 Feb, 2018

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Lifetime updates... heheh 😂

jochicago
KVRian
807 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Guys I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I want everyone to take themselves seriously and think about what subscriptions do.

This Waves subscription model is specifically assuming some people are stupid. Waves Gold was on sale recently for $75. But instead of owning it outright, you can pay then $10/m forever. Waves thinks that there are plenty of stupid people that would take that deal, and stupid people must be parted from their money.

Don't play along with a Waves subscription, don't prove them right. In fact, take a closer look at all the subscriptions out there and you'll realize a lot of them kinda operate on this principle: The idea that you are too stupid to calculate what $10/month adds up to over a few years, and then check what the going sales are for each product.

Daimonicon
KVRian
805 posts since 30 Aug, 2012 from Sweden

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:19 pm

jochicago wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm
Guys I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I want everyone to take themselves seriously and think about what subscriptions do.

This Waves subscription model is specifically assuming some people are stupid. Waves Gold was on sale recently for $75. But instead of owning it outright, you can pay then $10/m forever. Waves thinks that there are plenty of stupid people that would take that deal, and stupid people must be parted from their money.

Don't play along with a Waves subscription, don't prove them right. In fact, take a closer look at all the subscriptions out there and you'll realize a lot of them kinda operate on this principle: The idea that you are too stupid to calculate what $10/month adds up to over a few years, and then check what the going sales are for each product.
Oh some will. Some will. Never underestimate how stupid ppl are in general.

El°HYM
KVRist
193 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Would be cool, if people could use their PA $75 Vouchers to buy that Waves bundle. :party: But for real; I sometimes use their synths (which are pretty underrated imho) and have some of the old Tape-plugs, other than that, I dont really use their stuff mostly, as there is so much better (even free) out there.

These 'Sales' are just annoying & the best sales are always the 2,3 for 1 $29 & then it would also be kind of cool, if we could use our $25 - Vouchers, too!

Ploki
KVRAF
1742 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:51 pm

El°HYM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Would be cool, if people could use their PA $75 Vouchers to buy that Waves bundle. :party: But for real; I sometimes use their synths (which are pretty underrated imho)
they're rated as much as they're worth imo, wouldn't call them underrated.
they're fine, but considering all the waves garbage, they're not underrated.

i don't know why they even bother listing their "full" prices anymore.
oh right - so they can charge updates by them. :party:

dionenoid
KVRian
642 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:52 pm

It's cheaper than wup :D
More BPM please

El°HYM
KVRist

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:53 pm

ljmabi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:44 pm
Looks Really Amazing
You might not wanna sign any contracts right now @ljmabi :roll: Mercury just went retrograde & its just not the right Time... Wait until the next 29er Supersales, which they do from time to time. :tu:

Ploki
KVRAF
1742 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:54 pm

a this point i just assume most waves buyers (not users) have crayons lodged in their noses. (Extended warranty? How could I lose!)

El°HYM
KVRist

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Ploki wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:51 pm
El°HYM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Would be cool, if people could use their PA $75 Vouchers to buy that Waves bundle. :party: But for real; I sometimes use their synths (which are pretty underrated imho)
they're rated as much as they're worth imo, wouldn't call them underrated.
they're fine, but considering all the waves garbage, they're not underrated.

i don't know why they even bother listing their "full" prices anymore.
oh right - so they can charge updates by them. :party:
The synths are good, just the 2 older ones having a bit of a small #gui but still good sounding #tools. No doubt. :phones:

burnt circuit
Banned
142 posts since 15 Jan, 2020

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm

The same crowd interested in Slate, would also be interested in these much cheaper bundles.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

yellowmix
KVRAF
1561 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

As stupid as it is for anyone that can do the math, there are definitely some use cases out there that can make it worth it. As the page touts their support, that is what you are really subscribing to. So if you're a non-techy person at some kind of worship venue inheriting and responsible for a Soundgrid server that the services depend on it can solve that issue. They will hold your hand through the process. For many that feel it is unnecessary (or has never needed it in practice) it can be grating to pay for that.

And isn't it nice for Waves to be more upfront compared to their convoluted WUP scheme? Now if they can get rid of WUP because this exist and make maintenance updates free everyone can be happy.

burnt circuit
Banned
142 posts since 15 Jan, 2020

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 pm

yellowmix wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm
And isn't it nice for Waves to be more upfront compared to their convoluted WUP scheme? Now if they can get rid of WUP because this exist and make maintenance updates free everyone can be happy.
As your work as a producer, mixer or musician develops, your needs expand. You want a larger Waves bundle with more audio tools – but you don’t want to pay all over again for the plugins you already own. Take advantage of our online upgrade wizard and get personalized upgrade options tailored to your needs.
https://www.waves.com/support/upgrades
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

Local Man
KVRian
718 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 am

I can't even imagine the Venn diagram of suckers they are trying to reach with this.
It's like Trump voters that also own a Peloton bike and only record at 192 kHz.

Return to “Effects”