My old non-notarized plugins work on Catalina - why?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I installed Catalina on a separate volume of my HD ("dual boot") solely for the purpose of testing my plugins, notarization, etc. (my main system is Mojave).

I have come to find out that ALL of my plugins WORK when running in Catalina - even old ones that have not been notarized - with no security errors or warnings. Why is THAT happening?

It seems my dual-boot setup isn't providing a true Catalina test environment - what's wrong?

Only plugins that were downloaded and have the com.apple.quarantine flag need to be notarized. I also think software signed before a certain date doesn't need to be notarized.

To test your signing /notarize process, you need to host your plugins / installer on a website, and then download and install. Then you should get errors if something isn't right.

Perhaps they are signed, that should be enough for plugins (not standalone apps or hosts). But you may run into issue with non-notarized PKG installers in Catalina.

FigBug wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:17 pm To test your signing /notarize process, you need to host your plugins / installer on a website, and then download and install. Then you should get errors if something isn't right.
Ohhh. Thank you. Will test that. :tu:

Hello

I am facing a similar situation, except I did not even sign anything:
I simply zipped a freshly developed VST3/AU plugin, put it on dropbox and asked potential users to beta test it and... it seems to just work for them out of the box on 10.15.
No installer, they had to copy them themselves in the right directories.

What am I missing?

fuo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 pm Hello

I am facing a similar situation, except I did not even sign anything:
I simply zipped a freshly developed VST3/AU plugin, put it on dropbox and asked potential users to beta test it and... it seems to just work for them out of the box on 10.15.
No installer, they had to copy them themselves in the right directories.

What am I missing?
Did they perhaps just copy the files out of their dropbox folder, rather than download from the dropbox website?

I doubt they did as this was a direct download link.

Is there something particular I should check with my users?
Can the situation be different for VST vs AU, or depending on the host? Or a particular version/update of 10.15?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”