Interesting facts about where you live

Classic threads from OT live on here...
Meffy
Skunk Mod
21314 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:26 pm

I liked that song when it was new, despite being stricken with severe homesickness. Not easy getting accustomed to Saint Rotunda's School for Unwed Mothers of Invention.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65128 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:26 pm
I liked that song when it was new, despite being stricken with severe homesickness. Not easy getting accustomed to Saint Rotunda's School for Unwed Mothers of Invention.

tbf, im from here and often wish i was elsewhere :shrug:

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21314 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Vurt, have you ever been to Wigan?

… just a thought. A stolen one.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65128 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:06 pm

:lol: yup, often, my gf lives there.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11474 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm

vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 pm
it is said in legend, that paul simon, wrote the opening lines from "homeward bound" while sat in one of our train stations.
then called farnworth station, now called widnes north.
I think he confirmed it himself, but rather than it being about being homesick for the US, he said he wrote it about getting back to his girlfriend Cathy in London.

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21314 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Makes sense. That would make it home.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6945 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm

vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:06 pm
:lol: yup, often, my gf lives there.
Springfield Park was the worst football ground I ever went to. Bleak.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65128 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm
vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 pm
it is said in legend, that paul simon, wrote the opening lines from "homeward bound" while sat in one of our train stations.
then called farnworth station, now called widnes north.
I think he confirmed it himself, but rather than it being about being homesick for the US, he said he wrote it about getting back to his girlfriend Cathy in London.
wrote it about getting out of widnes :lol:
once you've seen the power station and the 2 (now 3) bridges, youve seen everything.
to see the bridges you just stand in one place, theyre next to each other. (tbf one is a railway and the new road bridge was built because theres a lot more traffic now.)

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11474 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm
Makes sense. That would make it home.
Yes, and after all, it was THE Cathy that he was heading back to.

experimental.crow
KVRAF
6315 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from the bridge of sighs

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm

it is illegal to place an ice cream cone in one's back trouser pocket in public ,
but only on Sundays ...
Image

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65128 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 pm

donkey tugger wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:06 pm
:lol: yup, often, my gf lives there.
Springfield Park was the worst football ground I ever went to. Bleak.
worse than oldham? :o

(only football grounds ive ever been to where stafford rangers at home against someone and leeds, but that was for europes strongest man)
(weird f**king date with some mad bint with 4 kids)(i had met them before she wanted us to do a family day out)[totally f**king nuts][the sex was both awesome and at times scary]
{bury}

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11474 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm

experimental.crow wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm
it is illegal to place an ice cream cone in one's back trouser pocket in public ,
but only on Sundays ...
However, I’m sure whatever placement of ice cream cone about one’s raiment on a Sunday in private is a matter for one’s own judgement...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65128 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm

experimental.crow wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm
it is illegal to place an ice cream cone in one's back trouser pocket in public ,
but only on Sundays ...
that makes sense whatever day.
i may bring that up with the council next time they cold call me :x

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21314 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:25 pm

In Virginia, you can't drive a wagon pulled by a team of chickens, ducks, or other poultry on public streets or other thoroughfares.

There's no law against it, they're just not strong enough to pull the wagon.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11474 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:32 pm

When I was younger there were places around the city where by-laws were posted in this tiny writing to get all of them on one large multi-column poster. Public parks, government buildings, post offices, etc. had one somewhere.

Over time I read most of them, and got some amusement out of very old ones. One that struck me was about nudity, basically stating that it was not legal on licensed premises, either in full view of the audience or behind curtains. The later restriction seemed somewhat pointless...

Return to “Off Topic Classics”