Low brassy sound effect from Alien 3 intro

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested in replicating the deep and low "brassy" sound growl that makes the intro extra scary. It's not a brass ensemble but sounds brassy. Could this be done in just a basic synth?

Effect begins at: 00:45
Didgeridoo (if I'm correct) takes over at 00:51
Comes again at: 1:38, and 3:35
https://vimeo.com/27595376

Thanks a lot in advance

Sounds like some detuned saws run with a moderately slow filter sweep + some distortion and reverb.

I bet something like The Legend could get this really close.
A well-behaved signature.

It's pretty resonant. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Blaster Beam, as used on the Star Trek Motion Picture score and a Hollywood favourite of the time, pitched down in a sampler. Craig Huxley is credited as playing both that and a Synclavier on the credits at IMDB.

There's a certain amount of urban legend about the low frequencies used in the Alien3 soundtrack, so I imagine there was a fair amount of Synclavier pitching jiggery-pokery going on.

Sounds like a tuba at it's lowest register.

Do This
Capture1.PNG
then
Capture2.PNG
then add reverb to taste

Note that there's another sound going trough it along with some high notes making it sound creepier.
The low bass above is 90%
you can play around more with the settings but this took me a few mins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks a lot guys.
Maybe there are several ways to achieve that sound.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:38 pm It's pretty resonant. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Blaster Beam, as used on the Star Trek Motion Picture score and a Hollywood favourite of the time, pitched down in a sampler. Craig Huxley is credited as playing both that and a Synclavier on the credits at IMDB.

There's a certain amount of urban legend about the low frequencies used in the Alien3 soundtrack, so I imagine there was a fair amount of Synclavier pitching jiggery-pokery going on.
I didn't know this guy. I watched some youtube videos with him. Actually I think you might be right. That string instrument can make very distinct horror sounds.

CHOOS wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 pm Do This
Capture1.PNG
then
Capture2.PNG
then add reverb to taste

Note that there's another sound going trough it along with some high notes making it sound creepier.
The low bass above is 90%
you can play around more with the settings but this took me a few mins
What synth is that?

charlatan (free) sorry forgot to mention that.
if you dont know it yet. It's awesome. very good analogue sounding
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 am charlatan (free) sorry forgot to mention that.
if you dont know it yet. It's awesome. very good analogue sounding
Ok thanks :-)

Return to “Sound Design”