Can't stop playing with XLN's XO...Is it just me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't see much on the forum about XLN's amazing XO. This is one fun plug.

Finally, all those thousands of one shot drum samples have a use!

I just took advantage of the sale this weekend, and I really can't stop playing around with it. There's so much there, and it's really easy to create new grooves and sounds.

One thing I can't figure out though...Does anyone know how to just save a kit? XO is set up so that you can save presets which include the beat sequence and the kit together. But if you like a kit and want to audition other sequences with it, I don't see a way to do that--i.e. keep the kit and just page through all the beats to see what they sound like with that kit. Am I missing something obvious? I've reviewed the documentation and checked out several video tutorials, but nothing seems to answer this question.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

You are not missing something. Currently it's not possible to lock the sequence within XO. So if you want to browse kits with the same sequence you'll have to trigger it from the DAW.

That being said, XLN listens to customers and this is a logical request, so I could imagine it will be implemented some day.

And yes I fully agree, XO is great fun :love: :phones:

Agreed, it is amazing. Almost a gamechanger for beatmaking.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

BERFAB wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 amI don't see much on the forum about XLN's amazing XO. This is one fun plug.
Can it also trigger longer samples, i.e. percussive loops, ideally with time stretching? I couldn find such info and sample editing features seem rather rudimentary.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

What sale?

There was a sale few days ago, 30% off

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 amCan it also trigger longer samples, i.e. percussive loops, ideally with time stretching? I couldn find such info and sample editing features seem rather rudimentary.
It's not really set up for loops, I'm not sure how that would work with this incarnation. Purely geared for one shots. I think in time some more editing control of the samples would be useful, but as it is I absolutely share the OPs enthusiasm, the workflow is excellent.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Man I hate time limited demos. Installed it at some point and didn't get around to using it properly. Opened it up the other day to give it a good run through while the sale was on and oops, time expired. That's it forever. How do companies not see that this type of demo can hurt sales? Sorry to be a downer on the fun.

But I would like to try it. In particular wondering if the actual sample arrangement is better than Atlas. I have Atlas and don't actually find that the samples beside each other are really that close sonically. I also have Sononym, which is a great sample finder for one shots and loops. And that's the main thing I would use, as opposed to creating full beats. I think. But maybe the ability to try samples in context of a beat would be more useful. I just like to Maschine or Bitwi Drum Machine for beat making. Anyone know if it's possible to drag all samples at once to multiple pads of Maschine?
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BERFAB wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 am I don't see much on the forum about XLN's amazing XO. This is one fun plug.
The reason is DrumComputer. It is so much better than anything else.
But I agree that XO is a very good plugin.

enCiphered wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm
BERFAB wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 am I don't see much on the forum about XLN's amazing XO. This is one fun plug.
The reason is DrumComputer. It is so much better than anything else.
But I agree that XO is a very good plugin.
those are two absolutely different plugins tho. one is a drumsynth, another is a drum sampler.

Here's another thought - A much more useful approach for me would be to have something like this for single drum slot. Manuy people, myself included, use drum machine tools that can load VSTs into a drum slot. So a simple version of this, without any sequencing stuff, and with the ability to layer a few samples, modulating the different sample settings by velocity or automation, that would be very useful. And perhaps this can used that way? I guess all you'd need to be able to do is to set the different samples to trigger from the same note. If you could set velocity filters then that could actually give you multiple velocity hits.

I'd love to try, but I can't. Because time limited demos are awesome.

Is this possible? And is it light enough on resources that you could actually load many instances to make a kit?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm Here's another thought - A much more useful approach for me would be to have something like this for single drum slot. Manuy people, myself included, use drum machine tools that can load VSTs into a drum slot. So a simple version of this, without any sequencing stuff, and with the ability to layer a few samples, modulating the different sample settings by velocity or automation, that would be very useful. And perhaps this can used that way? I guess all you'd need to be able to do is to set the different samples to trigger from the same note. If you could set velocity filters then that could actually give you multiple velocity hits.

Is this possible? And is it light enough on resources that you could actually load many instances to make a kit?
you're really describing sample magic stacker. :D

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm Here's another thought - A much more useful approach for me would be to have something like this for single drum slot. Manuy people, myself included, use drum machine tools that can load VSTs into a drum slot. So a simple version of this, without any sequencing stuff, and with the ability to layer a few samples, modulating the different sample settings by velocity or automation, that would be very useful. And perhaps this can used that way? I guess all you'd need to be able to do is to set the different samples to trigger from the same note. If you could set velocity filters then that could actually give you multiple velocity hits.

you're really describing sample magic stacker. :D
And where is the sample map in stacker? Lots of things stack samples. Isn't the whole point the sample map?

Thank you all for your replies.
It's funny to me that you can't create a kit in XO and then save that kit. Because that's pretty much what it's made for - - it lets you effortlessly sort through the thousands of one shots on your computer and put them together in new and creative ways to create unique, one of a kind, kits.

There are work arounds, but they require that you, I think, export MIDI files to your DAW and then audition them there.

Regarding the question about loops, XO is not set up to trigger loops. However, long one shot drones and special FX are recognized and used in the kits in creative ways. The software really is a gamechanger. The AI used doesn't read sample file names, but rather actually analyzes the actual sample and sorts it according to type. Point it to the percussion files on your computer, and it will just extract the one shots. Here's an interesting example that some here might relate to: If you own NI's Komplete Ultimate 11 (the first Komplete Ultimate that came with a bunch of sample Expansion packs), I put all the expansions in one folder and had XO scan it. It pulled out a total of more than 21,000 unique one shots (it automatically discards duplicates). Pretty impressive. And, for the first time ever, I had a way of actually being able to use those samples creatively in beat kits.

The software itself comes with 8,000 samples pre-loaded. Most folks on KVR will blow way past that number from other drum software or sample packs that they already own (Battery 4 alone, for example, will add thousands more to your XO collection). Also, from my limited experiments thus far, the exported MIDI files from XO will play flawlessly with NI's Studio Drummer kits, but not, oddly, with XLN's own Addictive Drums 2 kits (slight adjustments are required to make them sound right).

You also have the option to just export beats you create in XO as wav files.

Editing tools go pretty deep. [And, specifically, reverb and delay effects are not only included, but are easily accessible to each sample, unlike the routing options in most drum program software.] And the sequencer is impossibly easy to use, and includes some pretty whiz bang features that allow for very fast creation of variations and unique beats, including some great random controls.

Check out a couple of the longer video tutorials/reviews on Youtube. You'll see the power of this thing. Other than the lack of ability to save kits, it's pretty perfect.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm
And where is the sample map in stacker? Lots of things stack samples. Isn't the whole point the sample map?
it's been a while since i tried it, not sure if its able to do that, but i guess you could automate layer volume via mod matrix.

Battery4 does have that tho iirc.

when i was eyeing XLN XO, i just ended up with ADSR's free Sample Manager instead, since XO appeared too clunky.

Return to “Instruments”