Waves' new/old subscription model

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn’t you mean brain-dead Bernie-the-commie idiots? But I digress.. let’s keep politics out of it if you want to keep things civil.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

Ah yes.. election year in the US. How lovely for the rest of us.

Lol @lwj
musicdoc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 am Didn’t you mean brain-dead Bernie-the-commie idiots? But I digress.. let’s keep politics out of it if you want to keep things civil.
Digress my ass

People at waves who thought its a good idea to introduce subscribtion model for bundles that every now and then sell for 100 USD are literaly stupid.

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:03 pm People at waves who thought its a good idea to introduce subscribtion model for bundles that every now and then sell for 100 USD are literaly stupid.
Assuming they're not actually planning to phase those 'deep-deep sales' out. Why stop at stupid? :party:

I really don't know how they get away with showing the original list price for their plugins. Even when they are not on sale (which is hardly ever!), the current selling price is considerably less than the list price shown. This is actually illegal (in the UK at least). The item must have been on sale at the 'full price' displayed at some point within the last 30 days....Has anyone actually bought a Waves plugin at full price in the last 5 years?

MikeCallon wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:00 pm I really don't know how they get away with showing the original list price for their plugins. Even when they are not on sale (which is hardly ever!), the current selling price is considerably less than the list price shown. This is actually illegal (in the UK at least). The item must have been on sale at the 'full price' displayed at some point within the last 30 days....Has anyone actually bought a Waves plugin at full price in the last 5 years?
someone said they don't have an office in europe and they get away with it like that?

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:03 pm People at waves who thought its a good idea to introduce subscribtion model for bundles that every now and then sell for 100 USD are literaly stupid.
If it were another company then yeah maybe but Waves are a friggin' machine (watching how constantly creative they get with their promos and how they manipulate the prices accordingly has been real fascinating) and so I bet they know exactly what they're doing.

Bouroki wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:06 pm
If it were another company then yeah maybe but Waves are a friggin' machine (watching how constantly creative they get with their promos and how they manipulate the prices accordingly has been real fascinating) and so I bet they know exactly what they're doing.
Well its not in the sense of stupid stupid, but from the moral perspective stupid. From buisiness perspective that might seem smart. Just dishonest. I can see what their target group is, upcoming producers/engineers with idols or looking for endorsed products, people who do not subscribe to newsletters and dont do research before buying.

musicdoc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 am Didn’t you mean brain-dead Bernie-the-commie idiots? But I digress.. let’s keep politics out of it if you want to keep things civil.
Sure, you can substitute your polarizing political figure of choice if you'd like. But you see a Bernie Sanders supporter would be more likely to own a Peloton bike so the Venn diagram thing wouldn't be as comical.
It's for humorous effect you see.
Sorry that the joke seemed to hurt your feelings.

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:11 pm Well its not in the sense of stupid stupid, but from the moral perspective stupid. From buisiness perspective that might seem smart. Just dishonest. I can see what their target group is, upcoming producers/engineers with idols or looking for endorsed products, people who do not subscribe to newsletters and dont do research before buying.
Yes unfortunately. This is why such online communities are here to inform. But in any case I'm guessing either they'll a) stop the silver/gold/platinum bundle crazy promos (unlikely) or b) once people subscribe (and are added to the newsletter) and then at some point get the cheap offers to buy outright in their inbox then they can make a decision and will have likely gotten value already from their sub period. For the rest of us it's an option to have while we wait for the next big bundle sale (or if an urgent project comes up). Just don't pay yearly because the promo is probably just 3-6 months around the corner :D

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 am
yellowmix wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:16 am And isn't it nice for Waves to be more upfront compared to their convoluted WUP scheme? Now if they can get rid of WUP because this exist and make maintenance updates free everyone can be happy.
As your work as a producer, mixer or musician develops, your needs expand. You want a larger Waves bundle with more audio tools – but you don’t want to pay all over again for the plugins you already own. Take advantage of our online upgrade wizard and get personalized upgrade options tailored to your needs.
https://www.waves.com/support/upgrades
Misinformation, is the big issue.

Subscription models just give people other options, why all the pitchforks?

I believe some people just don't fully understand how Waves's WUP, upgrades and pricing really works.

There's also a lot of pissed off people that spent too much money for inferior products from other brands.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:52 pm

I believe some people just don't fully understand how Waves's WUP, upgrades and pricing really works.

There's also a lot of pissed off people that spent too much money for inferior products from other brands.
:lol:

- because it sets a precedent
- no, please explain to me how having something on sale 365days/year 24/7 is a "sale" not its actual list price, by which the update is charged?
- i didn't buy anything inferior from other brands. please show me one thing that waves has better than competition (except soundgrid. soundgrid is kinda cool, but i dont do live sound)
- how is having to buy two licenses to use on two computers "misinformation"?
which makes me wonder, if you use two computers with waves subscription, do you need two subscriptions?

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:03 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:52 pm

:lol:

- because it sets a precedent
- no, please explain to me how having something on sale 365days/year 24/7 is a "sale" not its actual list price, by which the update is charged?
- i didn't buy anything inferior from other brands. please show me one thing that waves has better than competition (except soundgrid. soundgrid is kinda cool, but i dont do live sound)
- how is having to buy two licenses to use on two computers "misinformation"?
which makes me wonder, if you use two computers with waves subscription, do you need two subscriptions?
Read before you buy?

Buyers seem to think they can impulse buy something then read the policies, then complain about the policies they didn't read.

Seriously, every company has policies, read them, if you agree with them then purchase, if you don't agree with them then don't purchase. It's really that simple.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 pm Read before you buy?

Buyers seem to think they can impulse buy something then read the policies, then complain about the policies they didn't read.

Seriously, every company has policies, read them, if you agree with them then purchase, if you don't agree with them then don't purchase. It's really that simple.
i did and i didn't buy tho.

the sale thing however is not only morally but also legally questionable - there's really no argument there.

Return to “Effects”