16GB or 32GB of ram?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pretty much all of my work I use vst softsynths which may include 2 plugins that use audio libraries: Guru drum sampler and StylusRMX. I've also used a sampler with bass samples. Other than that, I don't really use a sampler. At some point I may bounce some tracks but I've never used more than 16 audio tracks.

Considering the above, is 16GB of ram enough for my needs?

thanks

16GB is probably enough, but I would go for 32GB as you never know what the future will bring. :)

You can never have too much ram.

It's well enough. Drum machines are lightweight, and bounced tracks atcually take less memory than muliple plugins loaded all at once.

How much RAM did you use so far?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

64GB.

:party:

I have been using 64GB for the last 5 years, there is no reason going for 16GB. Even if it's enough today, it might not be enough tomorrow. Always future proof your computer by a few years looking at higher specs than you need atm.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Always a matter of the budget, I guess.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 pm Always a matter of the budget, I guess.
F*ck budget, just buy it :)
You can always eat noodles for a couple of months if needed.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Water and bread for a extra 16 gigs of Ram... :(

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 pm Water and bread for a extra 16 gigs of Ram... :(
16gb costs what.. 80€?

Yeah, shouldn't be too much. :D

Just saying that there might be a budget, and that that's probably why the OP asked. Whenever I bought a new PC, I took a look where I could cut corners. Might be the same here. Otherwise it probably wouldn't come into question at all.

Without Kontakt and such, I'd say you could get by with only 8 GB. Only just...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

16 GB is the choice of kings.

Because I have that amount.

StylusRMX uses samples.. Guru/Geist uses samples but they will not need so much RAM because drum samples are not very big.
16GB is enough, to be on the safe side 32 GB. More important is to have this content on a SSD for quick loading.

BertKoor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 pm Without Kontakt and such, I'd say you could get by with only 8 GB. Only just...
:tu:
totally.. absolutely..

The only thing that will push my 8Gb is the effing chrome browser, coz they all got lazy and don't malloc no more.. or is it garbage collection... definitely garbage in my browsing.. ;)

I don't use samplers.. maybe a few VSTi and VST...

all depends what you do I guess... I mainly just record live sounds now... Eurorack.. up to 18 simultaneous tracks, no problem, sometimes with a few live VST FX.. 8 gigs is plenty for this.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”