Interesting facts about where you live

Classic threads from OT live on here...
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6769 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 am

vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 pm
donkey tugger wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:06 pm
:lol: yup, often, my gf lives there.
Springfield Park was the worst football ground I ever went to. Bleak.
worse than oldham? :o

It made Boundary Park look like the Nou Camp :o

sp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deastman
KVRAF
7367 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:45 am

I live in a tiny town in the foothills of the San Francisco Bay Area peninsula. We don’t have a single traffic light. Our local tavern, built around 1852, is the second oldest in continuous operation in California. It was also the point of origin of the worlds first inter-network TCP/IP transmission (i.e. the first internet transmission).
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61801 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 am

Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:04 pm
Vurt, have you ever been to Wigan?

… just a thought. A stolen one.
here!

User avatar
harryupbabble
KVRAF
1997 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 am

Forgotten wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:32 pm
When I was younger there were places around the city where by-laws were posted in this tiny writing to get all of them on one large multi-column poster. Public parks, government buildings, post offices, etc. had one somewhere.

Over time I read most of them, and got some amusement out of very old ones. One that struck me was about nudity, basically stating that it was not legal on licensed premises, either in full view of the audience or behind curtains. The later restriction seemed somewhat pointless...
nudity should be made legal when mowing the lawn in summer. cos like why did (most) human shed all that ancestral gorillapepanzee hair for, eh? hahaha.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

User avatar
McLilith
KVRAF
2065 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:25 pm
In Virginia, you can't drive a wagon pulled by a team of chickens, ducks, or other poultry on public streets or other thoroughfares.

There's no law against it, they're just not strong enough to pull the wagon.
I bet if you post a challenge on the right corner of the internet, someone will actually try to make that work. They just need LOTS of poultry harnessed together to pull a small wagon. :wink:

Just imagine that look on a policeman's face, when he sees a poultry-powered wagon on the street! :hihi:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61801 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 am

golbourne (gol'bn) a small village in wigan (wiggin) where every resident has signed a contract, as a historical reenactment actor, showing visitors exactly what uk life was like in the late 70s and early 80s.

best passed through quickly on a bus.
do not try the local cuisine.
definitely do not fraternise with locals.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
10047 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm

I have the feeling that there is a competition where I live to see who can put the most bigoted and offensive bumper sticker on their pickup truck...

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21321 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 pm

McLilith wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm
Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:25 pm
In Virginia, you can't drive a wagon pulled by a team of chickens, ducks, or other poultry on public streets or other thoroughfares.

There's no law against it, they're just not strong enough to pull the wagon.
I bet if you post a challenge on the right corner of the internet, someone will actually try to make that work. They just need LOTS of poultry harnessed together to pull a small wagon. :wink:

Just imagine that look on a policeman's face, when he sees a poultry-powered wagon on the street! :hihi:
And the look of disappointment when it's not in the list of traffic offenses.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
10047 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Meffy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 pm
McLilith wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm
Meffy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:25 pm
In Virginia, you can't drive a wagon pulled by a team of chickens, ducks, or other poultry on public streets or other thoroughfares.

There's no law against it, they're just not strong enough to pull the wagon.
I bet if you post a challenge on the right corner of the internet, someone will actually try to make that work. They just need LOTS of poultry harnessed together to pull a small wagon. :wink:

Just imagine that look on a policeman's face, when he sees a poultry-powered wagon on the street! :hihi:
And the look of disappointment when it's not in the list of traffic offenses.
I’d be surprised if they didn’t fall fowl of some law somewhere...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61801 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:14 pm

:smack:

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
26806 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Image

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21321 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Wull, Ah be dawg!

… on another forum. Why not change species to suit the event?

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21321 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 pm
I’d be surprised if they didn’t fall fowl of some law somewhere...
Headline: "Bad Driver Really Lays an Egg"

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61801 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Meffy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:52 pm
Wull, Ah be dawg!

… on another forum. Why not change species to suit the event?
are you suggesting "being a cock"?

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21321 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Re: Interesting facts about where you live

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Noooo, dawg! I mean dog. Border collie, 'cos what breed of dog is better suited to moderating a forum? [eta] Also, no need for fur dye.

Return to “Off Topic Classics”