[COVER/VIDEO] Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack with ContinuuMini

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone

Wanted to share this video of a Radiohead cover I recorded recently. The main voices were played with the ContinuuMini which is a beautiful instrument and probably the closest you can get to string sounds. I really appreciate that it feels like a real instrument which you have to invest time into to master it. That said I still feel like a beginner and there are a lot of things I can improve when it comes to expressiveness.

The chords were played with the Synthstorm Deluge. I modified one of the presets of the synth patch pack “Boards of Deluge” and added some reverb from the Eventide H9 and some delays from the Strymon Magneto to add more space to the song.

Feedback appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnNObKMyqE
Last edited by notechno on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah that sounds sweet! That instrument def expresses that tune's melancholic feeling.

Always one of my favourite Radiohead tracks. Nice rendition/interpretation. Would love to try one of those controllers :love:

Great job!

Thanks a lot. Yeah if you ever get a chance definitely try it! It's a lot of fun and has some amazing sounds.

notechno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 pm Thanks a lot. Yeah if you ever get a chance definitely try it! It's a lot of fun and has some amazing sounds.
Wanted to try a Haken ever since I saw Amon Tobin playing one. Ended up with a Seaboard Rise, which was more practical and affordable. No regrets! I love the thing. But I'd still love to try the Haken offerings (and all expressive controllers, actually).

You've made me want to do a cover of this track, also :scared:

I've never tried the Seaboard... but I'm not a keyboard player (originally a guitarist). How do you like it?

notechno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:20 pm I've never tried the Seaboard... but I'm not a keyboard player (originally a guitarist). How do you like it?
I'm also originally a guitarist, though I have toyed with 'boards for some years. I think that both the Rise and the Linnstrument also give something to guitarists, though obviously the Linnstrument goes a few steps further.

With the Rise you do have the continuous pitch control that runs above and below the 'keys', which will offer similar pitch control to the Haken, albeit not as expressive in terms of pressure. The Rise also does have the advantage of being a good crossover to normal keyboard playing. As such, it's been my main keyboard controller for the last couple of years. I love it :love:

Yeah got to check that out. What I like about the Continuum that it feels like a real instrument. Do you feel the same about the Rise?

The downside about the ContinuuMini is that it only has two voices using the control surface. Not that I would be able to play with more than two fingers though :D

notechno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm Yeah got to check that out. What I like about the Continuum that it feels like a real instrument. Do you feel the same about the Rise?

The downside about the ContinuuMini is that it only has two voices using the control surface. Not that I would be able to play with more than two fingers though :D
While keyboards and pianos are themselves, real instruments, i do know what you are trying to say. And yes, the Rise feels 'real' to me. With just the addition of tuning expression, and therefore vibrato, it becomes much more like an expressive instrument. Been wiggling my finger from side-to-side on normal keyboards for years (Helped with phrasing, and playing more convincing lines with pretend vibrato). Now, it actually has some effect :tu:

Ok, by real I mean that you feel the connection with the instrument as when you play a real piano or a guitar. When you play a cheap midi keyboard I never got the same feeling. There is a disconnect for me is what I'm trying to say.

I have a Rise 49, LinnStrument, and a half size Continuum (and soon an Osmose!). The Continuum is in a totally different league than those first two. I haven’t tried the mini, and while it has a much more limited physical design, I’m sure it’s still a very expressive instrument. I also prefer the LinnStrument over the Seaboard, but each has their advantages.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Would love to have a half-sized Continuum, however it probably takes even more practice to master... I guess from watching the videos the Continuum looks nicer to play compared to the Mini, because the Mini is basically one plate mounted on springs and does not have individual pressure controls for each note which makes it a bit tricky to play sometimes.

notechno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 pm Would love to have a half-sized Continuum, however it probably takes even more practice to master... I guess from watching the videos the Continuum looks nicer to play compared to the Mini, because the Mini is basically one plate mounted on springs and does not have individual pressure controls for each note which makes it a bit tricky to play sometimes.
I agree. I think the Mini is best suited for existing Continuum players who don’t want to take it out on tour with them (in addition to curious people who aren’t prepared to take the rather large financial plunge).

The Continuum is very much a “real” instrument which requires practice and dedication to get the most out of it. That’s partly why I’m getting the Osmose, so I can have the option of a bit more traditional interface when I need it.

It seems everyone is getting an Osmose... feel like I'm missing out :D Haven't checked it out tbh though.

notechno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 pm It seems everyone is getting an Osmose... feel like I'm missing out :D Haven't checked it out tbh though.
It’s an interesting take on an MPE controller, but it also has the Haken EaganMatrix built in.

Return to “Music Cafe”