My First Rant: NI MX [RESOLVED, sorta]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have never ranted here, but today is special.

when massive X came out, i bought it. thought it was great, with an intriguing architecture, and an impressive sound. i even defended it vigorously on this very forum.

then, today... am doing a remix for a client, and went to finish the work. the mix is simple, and based almost entirely around a massive X sound.

2 hours ago, i opened the project (in logic X), and all was fine. but now, when i open it, the massive X sound is all wrong. it sounds like it has been eaten by godzilla (really, that's an accurate description).

i rebooted my mac, and same problem. this is a preset i altered, a lot. i have, with every plugin, for over a decade, recalled projects, and plugins played as i set them up to play. not today.

so i have to reconstruct (or replace) the sound. it's not ok... and will remove MX from my arsenal; if i can't rely on it, i don't care how good it can sound. :evil:
Last edited by fisherKing on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't worry FK...

The new team of bean counters over at NI will have any software problems fixed in a heartbeat :wink:

That's why the're earning the big $$$...
No auto tune...

am thinking i didn't need to post this; i panicked. i've just reworked the original preset, and it's close enough (perhaps better). still... this shouldn't happen, and doesn't with any other of my synth plugins (and i own many, and have owned many more).

don't know why this happened; and your own mileage may vary. but am not using MX anymore. even tho i can save what i do as a new preset... i shouldn't have to.

so it goes.

fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 am am thinking i didn't need to post this; i panicked. i've just reworked the original preset, and it's close enough (perhaps better). still... this shouldn't happen, and doesn't with any other of my synth plugins (and i own many, and have owned many more).

don't know why this happened; and your own mileage may vary. but am not using MX anymore. even tho i can save what i do as a new preset... i shouldn't have to.

so it goes.
belt and suspenders ...

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:00 am
fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 am am thinking i didn't need to post this; i panicked. i've just reworked the original preset, and it's close enough (perhaps better). still... this shouldn't happen, and doesn't with any other of my synth plugins (and i own many, and have owned many more).

so it goes.
belt and suspenders ...
i hear you, and it's easy enough to do. am just always tweaking things, until the last minute. and never had this happen before. but yes, worth doing from now on...

You on mac or pc?
:borg:

I assume you didn't update MX between the time you first created the preset to the time it got all screwed up?
rsp
sound sculptist

V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:27 am You on mac or pc?
zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 am I assume you didn't update MX between the time you first created the preset to the time it got all screwed up?
rsp
logic X = mac. and no updates, just two hours between the time it was fine... and the time it no longer was.

i got the sound i wanted, converted it to audio, and all is well (enough). :tu:

Right i should have noticed that

:dog:

Too bad it did that. Glad you got it sorted
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:35 am Right i should have noticed that

:dog:

Too bad it did that. Glad you got it sorted
it IS a lesson learned. i have SO many projects with edited presets, created sounds... none of them saved. but will start doing that (after all, nothing to lose).

still... massive X should not have done that, and won't trust it again.

Its important to understand technically why it happened! It could as well be a quirk of Logic... It might need the support of NI/Apple to figure it out. These are scary experiences, I would not be able to sleep well without figuring out the why...

so it goes.
Consider to report this if you think it is a bug. The only way that NI will take note of it, and potentially fix it.

I recently had a similar problem with OP-X in Reaper project. I've been using OP-X for years and to my memory it was the first time that has happened. I assumed it was a Reaper fault in the last project save?

Sad story, bro :(

It didn't happen to me yet, but now I'm afraid.Hopefully it's limited to Mac / Logic, or some other specifics. Didn't hear about this issue yet.

I've had some issues with D16 plugins losing their settings on project (re) load, tho. Since then started just to export presets or bounce to audio if possible.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Do you have the most latest MX update? It was aimed just at fixing preset saving/reloading issues.

What exactly has happened? DId MX switched to some other preset, or init preset, or did some parameters randomly change?

I had similar issues with Sylenth in Studio One few times, it randomly changed some parameters or switched to some random preset. It doesn't really bother me though, as I usually freeze things once I'm happy with the sound.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”