usb or firewire for audio interface?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi all, I've been out of the game for a while and the last DAW I built was circa 2010 with a firewire Presonus audio interface. Started playing around with it again lately, updated all software, drivers, etc, and no surprise at this point that the thing is sucking wind. So besides a new daw PC I also want to get a new audio interface and was wondering if it still holds true that firewire is the way to go for these things, or has USB 3.0 taken over as best route? TIA for any info. P.S. If the applications matter towards the correct answer - I use Cubase, NI Komplete and a bunch of other VST's for the most part. Not too much audio recording at all but I do use some wav's in the form of acidized drum loops.
Thanks again.

Years ago I switched to a new PC and wanted to keep my ancient M-Audio audio interface. After several tries I was unable to get a Firewire card that worked in Windows, possibly because drivers are nearly impossible to find. So I abandoned it and went with USB 2.0 (at the time almost no USB3 audio interfaces were available).

You might have better luck, but in your place I'd definitely avoid the antiquated Firewire standard.

I don't think the software you use will have any bearing on the choice. If Windows recognizes the device driver, it should work with whatever application software you choose.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at these matters. Someone more knowledgeable might have information better than mine.

FireWire was once a faster alternative to USB, but as Meffy says, it’s kind of been left at the wayside now, so USB is probably a much safer bet.

Check the chart for latency performance
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=3210

I'm using an old E-MU PCI card...

next update would be a PCI-x RME comes to mind.. or Lynx, beat USB_anyFlavour ;)

Ive still got a maudio sc on a wn7 machine, I think it was a Texas instruments FireWire that was needed. Drivers were available.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I tested 2010 as I bought a new computer, my current i7 on windows 7.
One from Focusrite Pro 40 and TC Electronic Impact twin.
After 3 months I abandoned the idea, switching drivers, cables and cards
- I could not get as low latency as my former rme hammerfall based daw
- cpu was redicuolus - and using up 8% of cpu just keeping audio up
- cable connectors were very sensitive for slight bend and cables stiff

As I started it was 60% on one core, and after switching to legacy drivers it became 20% one core, meaning 8 core average 8% on machine - just keeping audio up.

Ancient technology kind of, at least on windows.
From what I understand Mac is better as they often had fw interface as standard.

I'm with the people suggesting USB. FireWire is sort of dead.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

wrong
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrong
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you are going to get a new interface go USB, firewire is out of the game, though I still use happily my old interfaces. Another option is AVB which is supported by the MotU family for example... Macs have built-in AVB support. Its a network technology which allows networks of audio connections via ethernet... Most likely not a hobbyist solution though...

PCIe. Usb only with RME. :)
but that maybe only me...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I would never get a sound card sitting inside a computer (for obvious reasons...). External USB is fast enough, reliable, doesn‘t need drivers and is compatible with the whole world. Why longing for trouble?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”