SOLVED - Korg PadKontrol users - how do I get it to work in Windows 7 64 bit?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a Korg PadKontrol to work with a few new groovebox instruments like Geist and Pulse. I downloaded the newest driver from Korg's website (I am pretty sure it was a 64 bit Windows 7 driver) and installed it.

I had no problems with the install and everything seems fine.

However, it does not show up in the MIDI device lists of ANY of my software, including Presonus Studio One Pro, Kontakt (stand alone), Sonivox Pulse (stand alone), as well as others.

I have a M-Audio Keystation 88 and a Zoom R-16 that both show up as MIDI devices (and both use USB) in all of my MIDI software and DAWs/Sequencers, but not the PadKontrol.

I have tried to plug the PadKontrol in both a powered hub and directly into one of my laptop's usb ports.

The PadKontrol lights up and does its thing. In device manager it is there and is reportedly working fine.

The Korg MIDI control panel shows it working and is listed in its drop-down menu of connected MIDI devices.

Any advice on how to get it to show up? Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks.

Mike
Last edited by Karmacomposer on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Got the answer. For those struggling, this info fixes it:

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136655

Mike

how bizarre. I outta dig mine out of mothballs and see about that.

Yeah, thanks for posting.

epiphanius wrote:Yeah, thanks for posting.
NP. It is totally bizarre and the fix is not listed by Korg anywhere.

Thank goodness for some smart people (not me) who figured this out.

Mike

I made some maps for Geist. Available on their forum. PadKontrol map and Geistbinding files. You can probably use the standalone one. The other is for Ableton Live.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Karmacomposer wrote:
epiphanius wrote:Yeah, thanks for posting.
NP. It is totally bizarre and the fix is not listed by Korg anywhere.

Thank goodness for some smart people (not me) who figured this out.

Mike
I'm also thinking, thank goodness for google and being able to find the thread you needed? :oops:

thanks,

i got it working deleting some midi entries in the registry as described in this thread.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... c2ea2c410e

Thanks so much Mike,

This made all the difference here too.

TobyC

anyone have the link to the UnInstDrv32 ? Mine is not working either

Windows 7. tried all the drivers on the korg site. nothing showing up no matter what. the drivers on the disc are for xp. I have the white padkontrol. no idea why so many people would not just be able to instal the damn drivers and it works???

Let me fresh up this thread. Thing is - I got a second hand padKontrol yesterday. And so far I have no luck after installing and reinstalling and deleting drivers some times. Will deffo look at the register side and edits. My system is Win7-64. It showes up in the DeviceManager. And when connected via USB it also showes up as padKontrol as per normal. But - not in any of my software/sequencers - and not in the padKontrol-editor either. The list of MIDI-Devices are less than 10, so it should not present any problem. I do not have a working wall-wart for it - so I cannot connect it via DIN-plugs (because of the switch in the back - that seemingly will not allow you to use DIN-plugs when power is via USB. BTW: The link to the Steinberg-forum above is dead - so - do anybody know what was in it??
Computermuso since intel8086
http://www.fivelsdal.no/

And so I got it solved as well. Partly because of this post from somewhere - many thanks to the guys who made it possible. I'll repost it here for reference (I didn't need to do all the bits - but it was very helpful in sorting out where MIDI-stuff is found in the Windoz registry:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ok so what fixed the issue for me was as follows.

First launched regedit.exe from the run dialog & navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

before making changes I went to "file" > "Export" and save a copy of my registry to my desktop titled "Midi_FIX.reg"

Next in the registry location above I deleted the values midi4 - midi9

going to the folder location C:\Program Files (x86)\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver and run "UnInstDrv64.exe"

here you should see a list of ports. select the KP3 entry...
(In my case it was assigning itsself to ports 10 & 11) now connect the usb cable for the KP3 and power it on and wait for drivers to reinstall.

Last Launched the KP3 Editor and clicked "All/Receive" button and no longer had an issue KP3 was recognized.

Please keep in mind this modifys the system registry and can delete your other deviices... I experienced an issue with Reason no longer seeing my control surface corretly and had to make some adjustments.

first I clicked my exported registry file mentioned above to restore my registry... rebooted computer...

When you run the UnInstDrv64.exe from the KORG folder in program files you will get to see a list of installed devices... listed from midi1- midi10 (or greater)

In order to get around deleting all my devices I looked for an generic entry for "USB audio device" which presented itself on midi3 & midi4

after identifying those I then went back into regedit and deleted the string value "midi3" then made sure I had deleted the KP3 from the UnInstDrv64. exe utility.

next I went back to regedit and right clicked on the folder on the left "Drivers32" then selected "New" then "String Value" and named it "midi3" to replace the value previously deleted.

I then powered up the KP3 let the computer detect it and launched the editor. KP3 connected with no issues.

Just to verify all of this I rebooted again after the computer booted back up powered up the KP3 launched the editor and was able to transmit and receive data.

***NOTE*** where as I reference "midi3" could be any of the midi strings in registry... I Highly recommend you use the driver uninstaller to determine which string is attached to a generic device (M-Audio Uno can reserve these spots for example) The important thing to note is that the KP3 MUSTt be attached to the midi1 to midi9 string... even in my case with it attached to midi10 it failed to get seen by the editor.

Thank you to all that helped add to this post and I hope this solution helps others resolve this problem in the future. I also did a factory reset to my KP3 and without changing any settings on the device itself was able to connect.

for info on factory reset

1. Press 1 and 2 and Sampling while powering on the KP3.

2. PrLD will appear in the LED.

3. C will be on, D will be flashing.

4. Press D.

5. urt will flash in the LED.

6. P.off will then appear in the LED.

7. Power off and on the KP3, enjoy factory reset goodness.

Cheers and thanks a million to all those of you whom helped me get this fixed Smile"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same here - THANKS!!
Computermuso since intel8086
http://www.fivelsdal.no/

Return to “Instruments”