UVI Falcon, not a great sampler ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dangayle wrote: That’s interesting, I always just kinda wondered if the touted UVI engine was just Falcon with a different name. Man, what I would give for a great, modern sample creating/editing software with a great big useable gui and all the goodies like autosampling, round robins, auto crossovers for loops, etc. Redmatica had all that until Apple bought them and stuffed a fraction of the capability into Mainstage.
+1

So many audio editors and so little attention paid to sample creation / looping / editing duties.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I have tried Halion 6, and it's pretty good as a sampler ! Very versatile, I love how it can be tweaked to every usage, sampling, sound design, etc. I am really loving it, plus, it has all the parameters you can imagine for playing or editing samples and OSC, things that I missed in Falcon. For example, one small thing : you can zoom/dezoom with keyboard shortcuts in Halion 6 on waveform. You can also open the waveform in an external view... And that 2 of many other things I think are great ideas !

I tried Falcon 1.4.1, it's a great update for the playback marker, no more lag for me. And I like the options to zoom to start or to zoom to end. But I still missed some very good options you can find on Halion for example, for example to be able to switch the waveform view to mono (L or R side), or the fact that you can hit a midi note while moving the playback marker and you can hear the start point moving 'on the fly'.

In Falcon, you have to pause the starter point to be able to hear what is the result. Anyway, I see that UVI are making great efforts to make Falcon better at sampling, I still see this vst as a powerful hybrid sample/synth machine though, whereas Halion 6 might be the greatest VST sampler I tried.

The thing I'm missing most is a usable scrub type oscillator. The one they have is way to cpu hoggish, it's barely usable for polyphonic patches. And although the ircam granular osc is cool for mangling a sample, it's really tough to take a synth tone for example and be able to play it back relatively unchanged but be able to move through the sample. That of course is the point of the scrub osc but it's just too cpu intense. It's too bad they don't have a lighter cpu version like they do for the stretch osc. The stretch osc isn't bad at all, but it doesn't allow you to change position after hitting the note.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:he one they have is way to cpu hoggish, it's barely usable for polyphonic patches.
Therefore, I hope that the UVI programmers somehow manage to make Falcon multicore capable. This is a good thing in HALion.

It would depend if the algorithms they use lend themselves to multicore or not... If not, then you better have a 5 GHz per core CPU. :)

fmr wrote:
dangayle wrote: That’s interesting, I always just kinda wondered if the touted UVI engine was just Falcon with a different name. Man, what I would give for a great, modern sample creating/editing software with a great big useable gui and all the goodies like autosampling, round robins, auto crossovers for loops, etc. Redmatica had all that until Apple bought them and stuffed a fraction of the capability into Mainstage.
+1

So many audio editors and so little attention paid to sample cretion / looping / editing duties.
Agreed. With the demise of Redmatica sample creators have lost the best sample editing program there ever was, ie: Key Map Pro, not to mention Autosampler (the cut down version in Mainstage has its own issues)

We should petition Apple to bring back Key Map Pro. This utility is the work of genius, which still works, but I believe it will no longer run on Sierra so very soon some of us will need a separate laptop or boot with an older Mac OS in order to run just one program.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Just bought Falcon (1.6.5). Like what I see, but also was kind of bummed by a few things.

1.) No Undo... Sure, one could argue that saving after every important edit should be common practice in any program. But having no safety net also stifles spontaneous exploration, imo.

2.) No instant preview when dragging sample start, loop end, etc. Are there any rumors this will be adressed?

3.) Fiddly editing and navigation, as already stated here.

4.) Stupid menu diving. Like (duh) right-clicking to select "create loop". And once you've already set a loop to "loop forward", you can't change it to "loop alternate"?

Am I still happy about my purchase? YES, I actually am.

Neither of the big tools like Falcon, Kontakt etc. are great samplers. They are sample mangling tools but things like real-time sampling/resampling are not their strength.
Here iOS apps are so much better :D

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm
Daags wrote:right ... but someone creates the sample library content though ..... a sample based instrument, at some point, someone is creating the sample libraries to load in to it. So what's the idea here, keep the editing problematic for the end user, so they buy sample libraries from UVI instead of doing something outrageous like creating their own Falcon sample libraries ?
At one point I asked Olivier from UVI how do they make their own libraries, and he said they edit and loop all the samples in a dedicated tool, not within Falcon, then they just drop the samples in and (auto)map them. So there you have it from the horse's mouth...
Evildragon care to share which software is the best choice, I'm having a hard time making looppoints in falcon.

Pinch-to-zoom support in the sampler view would be great, too :)

Lol just got this, and they still do not have a global Undo function?
A 349€ tool without undo? Come on UVI!

I login just to say... as I paid full price for this software, it complete bogus that there is no undo feature. Many times I accidentally deleted the instrument and I was furious. I have never seen a professional piece of software without this function. What’s even more bothersome is how many complaints they have received about this, since the very first release. Now they have had sooo much time, many updates, even claiming a new version falcon 2 with still no undo feature.

Usability isn't exactly an UVI strong suite. This piece of software is so frustrating to use. Not much thought have gone into an actual strong UI. It's almost as if it was 100% designed by programmers. Wish they'd hire an UI expert who'd tackle the usability of it. There is much potential in the power and flexibility of the tool but it's painful to use.. thus I seldom open Falcon for any creative purposes. It always feels like a chore and definitely isn't fun.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I disagree that it's painful or frustrating to use.

Return to “Instruments”