Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
V0RT3X
KVRAF
8183 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3591 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am

V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

V0RT3X
KVRAF
8183 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:52 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
I love lofi noise stuff so its works for me. I lucked out on these plugin boutique basically gives them away on a regular basis.

One thing I often will do sample them at higher sample rates in my DAW and then downsample that to 48khz to help reduce aliasing.

collider
KVRist
165 posts since 14 Jun, 2018

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
Which one do you use?

User avatar
Dirtgrain
KVRian
647 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:43 pm

I have them all. I do use Subvert more than any of them--it can be a decent saturator, but also some options to make metallic sounds and beyond (three channels of ring mod, digitizer, metalizer, distortion, filter). I also use Cryogen occasionally (like to have a buffer effect sometimes).

One thing I've found with the effects Subvert, Fracture XT (delay, buffer, grains and a patchbay), Cryogen (buffer and bit crusher stuff), and Convex (delay, pitch, filter) is that the new sounds produced tend to have the same character regardless of the incoming sound, to some degree--not always, but often. I suppose that makes sense based on their architecture, but I bought them thinking that there would be unlimited possibilities. It has not turned out that way for me.

If I get more into glitch, I could see using the Glitchmachines effect to resample and then cut out bits to use. Then again, had I skipped buying the effects and synths, getting some of the Glitchmachines sample packs might have been a better, more efficient, and cheaper option.

You can do neat stuff with the synths. But the granular ability (Palindrome, Polygon) is limited in what you can control and to what degree--just a few controls, not even close to Granulator II and Padshop, for example. Still, the Glitchmachines synths are a lot cheaper than most other granular options. I don't use them--except when I get bored.

I believe I paid $150 for the lot. But not too long ago, I saw four of them on sale for $20 combined, and I was like, "Dang, I overspent."

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3591 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 pm

collider wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
Which one do you use?
Palindrome
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

nichttuntun
KVRian
851 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am

I recognize many people here are genre-stucked thinking and that's their base for choosing plugins.
As doing creative things with sound I think everything that makes sound is good to have. I often use glitchmachines stuff with Steinway grand piano sound for example. Sometime as pure sound design with wet on 100% and often just to give a sound a subtle additional texture with mix on 10 to 20%. Tools like FractureXT for example can make any dull synth pad sound shiny and rich and spice up things. And on percussive material or very short played bass material some delaying textures design can make awesome grooves.
I absolutely didn't experience that glitchmachines stuff has lofi character in general. You can use it for getting those characters but basically the plugins sound very good on their own, especially the ones which have reworked sound engines after the new GUI updates lately.

As a sucker for music and sound in general from my earliest childhood days till now I really wish musicians wouldn't know the borders of so called "genres". The universe of music would be a much colorful place. Genre for me means generic. Glitchmachines tools are perfect for breaking those borders :)

wakax
KVRAF
1819 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:26 am

very creative and versatile and unique machines.
especially for experimenting and going leftfield!
digital tools for digital sound and digital abuse:)

nichttuntun
KVRian
851 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:33 am

yeah man :)

El°HYM
KVRist
184 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 am

I think I might have payed about 20,30 bucks for all of their #plugs. They are useful & an excellent inspiration for sound - design. Unfortunately they also do have the kind of 'harsh' sounding digital flavour to them; so its always a good idea to calm them down a bit after letting them go crazy.

ijiwaru
KVRist
57 posts since 25 Oct, 2019

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 am

It's fun to put GM plugin fx on a bus to add an extra textural layer to a track. The following examples employ this technique using one of the freebies—Fracture, iirc—to create crunchy, "broken" noise sonorities which react dynamically to the amplitude of the audio send.

https://clyp.it/xgpfptnd
https://clyp.it/otbwpl30

collider
KVRist
165 posts since 14 Jun, 2018

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 pm
collider wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am
I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
Which one do you use?
Palindrome
I mostly played around with Cataract and Palindrome so far. Like them both.

nichttuntun
KVRian
851 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:02 am

ijiwaru wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 am
It's fun to put GM plugin fx on a bus to add an extra textural layer to a track. The following examples employ this technique using one of the freebies—Fracture, iirc—to create crunchy, "broken" noise sonorities which react dynamically to the amplitude of the audio send.

https://clyp.it/xgpfptnd
https://clyp.it/otbwpl30
I like the clips.

Return to “Effects”