Glitchmachines Plugins - Anyone?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:38 pm I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 pm
V0RT3X wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:38 pm I got nearly all their stuff. Great for lofi glitchy sound design and their plugins Dont use a lot of cpu.
They can be fun (I only own one of theirs that I use very sparsely when I explore things, mostly just as a sound source/generator for further more processing and transformations). But I do agree that used raw and as-is, their plugins tend to have that specific low-fi quality to them. Can be good can be bad, depends what you're looking for.
I love lofi noise stuff so its works for me. I lucked out on these plugin boutique basically gives them away on a regular basis.

One thing I often will do sample them at higher sample rates in my DAW and then downsample that to 48khz to help reduce aliasing.
:borg:

Which one do you use?

I have them all. I do use Subvert more than any of them--it can be a decent saturator, but also some options to make metallic sounds and beyond (three channels of ring mod, digitizer, metalizer, distortion, filter). I also use Cryogen occasionally (like to have a buffer effect sometimes).

One thing I've found with the effects Subvert, Fracture XT (delay, buffer, grains and a patchbay), Cryogen (buffer and bit crusher stuff), and Convex (delay, pitch, filter) is that the new sounds produced tend to have the same character regardless of the incoming sound, to some degree--not always, but often. I suppose that makes sense based on their architecture, but I bought them thinking that there would be unlimited possibilities. It has not turned out that way for me.

If I get more into glitch, I could see using the Glitchmachines effect to resample and then cut out bits to use. Then again, had I skipped buying the effects and synths, getting some of the Glitchmachines sample packs might have been a better, more efficient, and cheaper option.

You can do neat stuff with the synths. But the granular ability (Palindrome, Polygon) is limited in what you can control and to what degree--just a few controls, not even close to Granulator II and Padshop, for example. Still, the Glitchmachines synths are a lot cheaper than most other granular options. I don't use them--except when I get bored.

I believe I paid $150 for the lot. But not too long ago, I saw four of them on sale for $20 combined, and I was like, "Dang, I overspent."
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

collider wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am
Which one do you use?
Palindrome

I recognize many people here are genre-stucked thinking and that's their base for choosing plugins.
As doing creative things with sound I think everything that makes sound is good to have. I often use glitchmachines stuff with Steinway grand piano sound for example. Sometime as pure sound design with wet on 100% and often just to give a sound a subtle additional texture with mix on 10 to 20%. Tools like FractureXT for example can make any dull synth pad sound shiny and rich and spice up things. And on percussive material or very short played bass material some delaying textures design can make awesome grooves.
I absolutely didn't experience that glitchmachines stuff has lofi character in general. You can use it for getting those characters but basically the plugins sound very good on their own, especially the ones which have reworked sound engines after the new GUI updates lately.

As a sucker for music and sound in general from my earliest childhood days till now I really wish musicians wouldn't know the borders of so called "genres". The universe of music would be a much colorful place. Genre for me means generic. Glitchmachines tools are perfect for breaking those borders :)

very creative and versatile and unique machines.
especially for experimenting and going leftfield!
digital tools for digital sound and digital abuse:)

yeah man :)

I think I might have payed about 20,30 bucks for all of their #plugs. They are useful & an excellent inspiration for sound - design. Unfortunately they also do have the kind of 'harsh' sounding digital flavour to them; so its always a good idea to calm them down a bit after letting them go crazy.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:29 am
collider wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am
Which one do you use?
Palindrome
I mostly played around with Cataract and Palindrome so far. Like them both.

ijiwaru wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 pm It's fun to put GM plugin fx on a bus to add an extra textural layer to a track. The following examples employ this technique using one of the freebies—Fracture, iirc—to create crunchy, "broken" noise sonorities which react dynamically to the amplitude of the audio send.

https://clyp.it/xgpfptnd
https://clyp.it/otbwpl30
I like the clips.

Return to “Effects”