Subdubbed - It's Me [Modern Funk, Boogie, Retro 80s]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my take on Modern Funk, Electric Funk, Boogie, 80's influences, Synthpop, enjoy :D
Vocal and instrumental version on my Bandcamp :tu: https://subdubbed.bandcamp.com/album/its-me

https://soundcloud.com/subdubbed/its-me

I like the song but the vocals could use a little EQ around 500 or so. Kind of mid rangey. They're not terrible but they're not as clear as they could be, though some parts are better than other, mostly the higher notes, which makes sense. Other than that, very well done.

PS - Nice little Love Unlimited ripoff at the end there. lol

Thanks for the feedback wagtunes, I appreciate your perspective.

Long story: I think I've figured it out now, I thought it was my hearing I even went for a hearing test :lol: but looking at the response curve, my Tannoy R5A's have a slight bump in that low-mid range. On top of that I've moved into a smaller room and they now come across very present which is awesome for low level monitoring, especially when I plug the bass ports.
It's really good that you pointed that out as it'll make all the difference in my future mixes and I'll fix this one too.
Reveal 5A response curve.png
wagtunes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:59 pmPS - Nice little Love Unlimited ripoff at the end there. lol
If I had Barry White's voice I'd be singing this myself :D which of their songs are you referring to? totally coincidental but it would be interesting to hear their take.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlyingNoodle wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:12 am Thanks for the feedback wagtunes, I appreciate your perspective.

Long story: I think I've figured it out now, I thought it was my hearing I even went for a hearing test :lol: but looking at the response curve, my Tannoy R5A's have a slight bump in that low-mid range. On top of that I've moved into a smaller room and they now come across very present which is awesome for low level monitoring, especially when I plug the bass ports.
It's really good that you pointed that out as it'll make all the difference in my future mixes and I'll fix this one too.
Reveal 5A response curve.png
wagtunes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:59 pmPS - Nice little Love Unlimited ripoff at the end there. lol
If I had Barry White's voice I'd be singing this myself :D which of their songs are you referring to? totally coincidental but it would be interesting to hear their take.
The song is "Walking In The Rain (With The One I Love)"

Wow yeah that's cool. I was going for the same dreamy vibe. I initially thought about adding a male counterpart, but bailed on that side of the converstation. You know, because she could be calling anyone or anything these days :lol: and I just wanted the song to be relatable. For me it was speaking to the love of this style of music. :love:

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 amI've heard those vocals before, is that you singing or did you sample them?
They're sample pack stock :tu:

This hasn't been a regular staple of my musical diet for 35 years or so, but I've listened to it 3 or 4 times over the last couple of evenings, so I think you're doing something right. You've managed to make the vocals sound like they were meant to be there, and the mix is clear and pleasant.

Good work :)

FlyingNoodle wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 am They're sample pack stock :tu:
Good stuff, I really enjoyed "Light It Up" on Soundcloud. It reminded me of the 80's soul funk, like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.
Are the samples from Smash Up The Studio?
This is one of their demo sample/midi tracks, very Luther Vandross and similar.

http://www.smashupthestudio.com/audios/soulmach_av.mp3
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

Thanks for the interest and a link to Smash Up The Studio, looks like there's some cool packs in there. I use vocals from packs, but it's interesting to browse instrumentals for ideas and inspiration.
The Noodlist wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 amIt reminded me of the 80's soul funk, like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.
...wait, I have Janet Jackson on the line right now for a collab :lol:

Some of that Soul R&B fusion is dope. I like working with Soul vocals, here's Take Me Back with Soul vocals in my style.

Take Me Back (Vocal Mix)

Return to “Music Cafe”